MMS send NOT included in 3.0 Beta 1???!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by billandy, Mar 18, 2009.

1. billandy macrumors regular

Installed and played with it for a while. Seems that photo/location/audio/contact MMS sending is not included in this beta, maybe it's still in the works?

Please please Apple do deliver ALL of them this time!

2. rs13 macrumors member

theres still issues with all the networks so u cant send mms in beta 1

3. billandy thread starter macrumors regular

what? i can't name one single network operator that doesn't support mms. maybe apple's still getting it to work right now? but honestly mms settings is quite complicated.

4. stomer macrumors 6502a

It's a beta. It's expected that certain things wont work.

5. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A238j Safari/525.20)

At&t needs to take the MMS block off of iphone accounts

6. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Exactly. I don't think it has anything to do with the beta. The iPhone has never had MMS enabled on legit carriers.

7. efegue macrumors member

Anyway, I can't seem to find in the software where do I send a new MMS, if I press the write icon in the Messages.app it doesnt have any option to add a photo/contact/etc.. If I go to the Photos.app I don't see any option either to send a photo by MMS...

EDIT: ok, found the share a contact, but a send by MMS option to pictures and audio files is still missing...

8. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Test software in not finished yet shocker.

Phazer

9. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Is MMS enabled in Settings.app? If it is, you should see a camera icon next to the text input box in the Messages.app when composing. You can then just tap that to pick which picture you want to send.

But like everyone said, the sending of MMS messages currently fails. Wonder if/when AT&T will fix this? Or if they don't care about it until 3.0 is officially released.

10. aseewald macrumors newbie

aseewald

11. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I don't think anyone has noticed this. But you can't send MMS using your iPhone SIM in a regular phone either. AT&T needs to activate the MMS side (WAP, gateway) on all iPhone plans. Well on all iPhone 3G plans.

12. efegue macrumors member

I don't have that icon and my MMS is ON for sure. I'm not on AT&T either. I'm from Europe :)

13. Vonswanko macrumors regular

I am able to receive MMS but haven't been able to send yet. Might be because I had Swirly MMS working before though.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I believe it does with O2 in the UK.

Picture 4.png

15. cstromme macrumors regular

I haven't got it here either.

I have turned on MMS in settings and inputted my phone number in Phone settings.

No block from my provider as they don't even know I have an iPhone (bought one from the competition and paid to break the contract and get it legally unlocked).

I'm in Norway and use Telenor.

16. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Nope, that app uses O2's web portal to work around it, but it's not true MMS using the network protocol - that's why you have to pay the app writer by Paypal to buy credits to send messages, and they do it through a SMS mass reseller. O2 uses a second APN for "true" MMS and the iPhone doesn't currently support more than one even in the SDK for a start, so you couldn't get MMS messages without some of the changes 3.0 will implement.

The MMS app in the app store is an ingenious workaround by a good developer, but it shouldn't be taken as proof of anything in true MMS fashion because it is just a workaround and not an implementation of the international MMS standard.

Phazer

17. arubinst macrumors 6502

MMS is iPhone 3G ONLY...

Guys, I suppose that those of you complaining about not having the right icon for MMS sending are using an iPhone 3G, right?

Because if you're not, then you should know that MMS is *not* supported on the first generation of iPhones (i.e. original model).

18. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

It really is a clever work around.

Mine just displays IMG_0331.JPG instead of the actual picture.

Furthermore, you can MMS to an email address technically, but I don't see that option (but people can just email). Stopped me testing it right here and now though!

19. billandy thread starter macrumors regular

sure i'm running on my iphone 3g and i don't even see the little camera with mms enabled in settings. and i'm on o2 uk, probably currently the icon only displays when att sim is inserted?

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

My bad.

21. billandy thread starter macrumors regular

same here, only the image file name is attached. and nothing in case of contact cards and location sharing. guess it's just beta

22. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Good chance it's only on for US phones? Didn't think of that.

So any AT&T users going to call AT&T and ask them to turn on MMS for their iPhones now that it's supported? I'm sure the rep will have no idea what you're talking about, but should be a fun phone conversation if you feel like wasting half of your day ;)

23. arubinst macrumors 6502

Ok, one more guess here:

You know that MMS requires setting up a whole bunch of parameters (MMSC, proxy, etc.. There are usually sent by the provider via a configuration SMS on regular phones.

Would it be possible for any of the people not seeing the camera icon to put the SIM card inside another phone and make sure you are able to send/receive MMS? You might use another phone to configure your MMS parameters and then put back your card into the iPhone. Just a thought.

I haven't installed 3.0. It's sitting right here in front of me and I'm not sure if I should install it or not, since this is my main an only phone.

24. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

This has nothing to do with it. SMS changes to "Messages" and there you go.

I am using a 3G iPhone.

25. billandy thread starter macrumors regular

not any better across the ocean here too in the uk. o2 has a so-called "dedicated" iphone tech support team that reads out a manual each time you raise a question and gets furious when they themselves don't know the answer.

after all mms is a very stable feature supported by operators since the very early age of GPRS. still remember my first colour-screen phone back then and that i used to send out lots of blurry images taken using the 30mpxl camera.