Mobile Flash Fail: Weak Android Player Proves Jobs Right

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by supertonic, Aug 19, 2010.

1. supertonic macrumors member

2. studio¹³¹ macrumors 6502

studio¹³¹

3. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

It's still nice to have a choice on the ability to run Flash or completely ignore it though, right?

*shrug* World keeps on spinnin'...:cool:

4. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

+1. I'd still enjoy having the ability to use it. I'm sure nobody expected flash to work very well at all on a mobile device.

5. xraytech macrumors 68020

Why are some people so quick to call someone a Jobs Automaton when someone has a disparaging opinion on mobile Flash?

Have you even tried Flash or Frash on your iDevice? I have and it was removed as soon as my browser crashed. The most you can do is play some games and watch Ads. Flash, in its present form, is just no worth the headache.

But hey, if some developer somehow gets it to a point where I can use HULU in Mobile Safari, I'd be on that like a dog in heat. But now, no thank you.

6. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

yes but theres the bigger picture.

As far as professionalism, it doesnt fit into the bigger sales pitch which is that everything just works for nerds as well as people who use it as a personal communication tool and have busy lives and are not into gadgets.

there are no crappy elements of any kind built into the ecosystem and that is part of the appeal/obsession which ultimately wins over the consumers on a grand scale of reputation and expectation.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

No crappy elements? Maybe you're using some other version of os4.0 than I and several others are using. I'm not saying it's bad or that it's not better than the rest. But to say it's devoid of crap is - well - crap.

ETA: The whole "It Just Works" notion is also crap and marketing which fails on every level. It's like Delta's old slogan "We get you there". Do other airlines not get you places? And opposed to what?

It Just Works is a "slogan" - and not accurate. Things might be semi-intuitive - but Apple products do require a learning curve just like any/every other piece of technology.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I saw a flash TV show on an Android phone and it looked more like a slideshow with audio. Not usable at all IMO.

9. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

That sounds more like a stream issue, not Flash itself.
    Typical results of a weak signal.

10. Schweitzer macrumors regular

11. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Used flash to watch some episodes of South Park during a long boring night at work on southparkstudios.com. Worked flawlessly. It's not perfect but I'm happy I have the option (I'm free to uninstall it or use it only when I want it).

12. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

The only thing I want in Flash is the video playing elements. I could care less about the interactive environments.

The fact that I'm missing out on so much video content on the iPhone is upsetting.

13. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Flash is too choppy and makes safari unstable BUT...

The choice should be yours if you want to use that feature or not. On the other hand apple have every right to not include that in there is so there is many sides of the argument to consider.

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I tried a few sites on a Verizon phone that had 5 bars. I'm not saying I dislike Android phones by the way--they are great--I'm just saying it appeared as if flash was not working well on this device.

This was one phone I tried though, so maybe there is another one that plays it better. Anyone got an EVO that plays flash smoothly?

15. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

by default those phones have Flash lite, which is trash compared to the 10.x build

16. TorontoLRT macrumors 6502

Flash was meant for the PCs of 2002, not the smartphones of today.

17. nfl46 macrumors 603

Well, HTML5 hasn't replaced Flash yet, so give us the ability to turn it off or something. Flash worked fine on my Nexus One when I had it.

18. Schweitzer macrumors regular

Flash was blown out of proportion by the media.

Oh sorry, wrong parrot mode.

19. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

This exactly it, and if it wasn't for politics, it would, could and should be posible to have flash video. Duh since that's what YouTube is.

It's annoying the videos are all flash and that flash has to include everything that has to do with it and all the extras besides videos.

There should be a split compatibility at least where you can watch flash video and not play games and flash site layouts and the browser should know.

20. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Or, maybe, it's not intended to imply that there are no bugs.

:rolleyes: The implication is not that Apple products do not require a learning curve. Just that they are more intuitive than most of the alternatives.

21. Schweitzer macrumors regular

Or, maybe, it means something completely different.

We can't possibly know, because we can't think.

22. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

:rolleyes: Some things are up to interpretation. To not understand that is not to think.

23. Schweitzer macrumors regular

Maybe.

Fact is:
    Steve Jobs keeps Flash from his customers because he knows better than his customers and he loves his customers (both).

There is definitely no other reason.
    If you don't trust me - at least trust Steve Jobs.

And stop thinking for god's sake! Or at least:

think different!

24. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

That's all so great but I still would want the ability to choose if I want flash or not. Jobs was right but until HTML5 becomes the standard and most sites use it then it flash will be needed and this argument will continue.

25. chembox macrumors 6502a

While HTML5 should be the standard for all web video, Flash is and always will still be needed because of how powerful ActionScript is.