Mobile Me just became a little less useful with OS 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by btcutter, Apr 8, 2010.

1. btcutter macrumors 6502

I've always love MM especially in the iPhone.

However, if Gmail/calendar/services are available via EXCHANGE (true push)(OS 4 have multiple exchange accounts) then MobileMe is losing ground unless APPLE comes up with some new features.

Mail: Gmail > MM given that Gmail is free and EXCHANGE gives it instant push.
    Calendar: PUSH unless you have Mac then it's easier to setup MM on iCal
    Contacts: PUSH with EXCHANGE
    Photo: MM slight edge given it has more space but Pisaso isn't bad
    Google voice >> mobile me
    Storage: MM (20GB)+ iDisk >Google but you can get other free DROPBOX etc.
    Hosting: MM>Google because it can and google doesn't offer this service.
    Locate your phone/wipe data: MM>Google
    Cost: Google>>> MobileMe, free wins by a LARGE margin

Anyway, the advantages are dwindling fast and MM cost $69-99 per yrs. Come on APPLE give MobileMe some new firepower or offer it free for Apple users!!!

2. Shorties macrumors 6502a

With OS 4.0 a developer might be able to make an application that allows you to locate your iPhone without mobile me for free.

3. AppleHack23 macrumors member

Yeah, how about I don't pay Apple so when I lose my phone I can get a new one for $700 on a non-subsidized price. Thats what I want.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Yeah how about I don't sign my life over to google.

5. btcutter thread starter macrumors 6502

But you are handing it to APPLE. Apple just launched iAd.

I am a consumer. I flock to whoever provide the best service for my family. Competition is GOOD...although I rather Apple provide me with better service than Google.

6. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Yeppers, and I have had one since I became a developer. I was simply lacking a way to keep the tracking "alive." I can't wait to dive into this new API.

7. str1f3 macrumors 68000

As far as I'm aware, since I've listened to the keynote, Apple isn't collecting individual user data. Apple isn't sending me ads in my MobileMe account based on what the email contains nor do they have a history of my searches. Or my medical records. Or book reading habits. Huge difference.

8. btcutter thread starter macrumors 6502

I think as Apple move into the "Ad" business, they will collect data from users, MobileMe or not.

I still think MobileMe should be a FREE life time benefit for anyone who bought a Mac (or one every 10 yrs:)).

9. str1f3 macrumors 68000

I don't have a problem if Apple harvests data on how many times an ad is clicked. The same goes for the Google Maps app for the iPhone because they don't know who you are and is only location based ads. It still is a world of difference from the way Google offers free services for data mining.

I agree that MobileMe should be free but not Google's way of doing ads on Gmail. It's more important now for Apple to make a big move to the web and MM should be a major part of that.

10. sam011989 macrumors regular

didn't apple go through a period where it turned down apps that had similar functions to functions that are provided through apple?

so wouldnt apple just deny apps that are used for locating your phone and poses a competition to mobile me?

11. msavwah macrumors 6502

Notes will be synced with mm

I love mm all my devices are in constant real time sync. That's the single most important feature for me. Don't use the mail. Love the cal bookmarks contacts.
    Don't much use iDisk.
    Use exchange for gmail.

Always hoping to see new mm features though.

12. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Could happen, but you would need to present it in a way in which it doesn't appear to operate in a similar manner...

13. calvy macrumors 65816

I could be using google via exchange now if I wanted, but I tried it, and don't like it. I prefer the IMAP way. I wasn't able to get full access to my email with the exchange setup. I can't remember if I wasn't able to see all my folders, or it was just that it only showed the last 50 or so emails.

14. btcutter thread starter macrumors 6502

I am sure you can see all your folders depending how you set it up. Also you can choose how many days of mail you want to date back (1 day, 1 wk etc). The advantage of EXCHANGE is true PUSH technology. You have access to calendar, contacts and mail all in real time. I think only reason not to set it up via exchange was availability. Now OS 4 has ability for multiple exchange mail account is BIG for many business people.

In fact, one of the biggest complaints about Nexus One is lack of EXCHANGE support. Just check their forum.

15. TLewis macrumors 65816

Meh, I've always thought that MM's offerings have been rather, um, "anemic" when compared to the various free services. Right now, MM is really only good for contacts and find my iphone (and maybe push email -- MM's push seems to be a bit more reliable than either google or yahoo). Contacts is the only thing that keeps me subscribed to MM; if there was a decent free alternative, I'd dump MM in a heartbeat.

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Google wins on the cost department, but they have tabs on your privacy, browsing history and email history. Apple doesn't do that, you pay them for them to give you x and get the hell out of your privacy.