Mobile Me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ginguar, Jul 9, 2008.

1. ginguar macrumors regular

I'm considering getting mobile me for my new 3G iPhone but does anyone know if you can share calendars with it?

2. madbad01 macrumors member

Yes you can. It syncs Mail, Contacts, Calenders etc.

Oh and FYI, it's MobileMe :)

3. PJF13 macrumors member

This is a good question, I know with the current .Mac calendar you can "share" them in the sense that others can view them. However the ability for folks to actually be able to add / edit / delete is currently not an option.

I am hoping that with MobileMe you can designate folks to be able to make actual modifications to the schedule should you choose.

4. gtg941f macrumors newbie

If using imap e-mail, is there really a reason to purchase mobileme for personal use?

5. ginguar thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry i meant can you share calendars with other people, I.e. can my other half view and update it.

6. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

But sharing the calendar looks like it's only part of the Groups feature.

7. winstano macrumors regular

Possibly... But they'd probably need to have the same contacts etc as well...

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you want a server-based calendar and address book that can be updated anywhere and immediately synced back to all of your devices, maybe.

If you want your IMAP mail pushed immediately to your device vs. waiting for your device to check your email on a pre-scheduled basis, maybe.

If you want a service that works with your native computer applications (Outlook, Mail, iCal, Address Book), maybe.

If you want a service that has web access that looks and works like your computer applications, maybe.

If you want to be able to share large files easily, maybe.

If you have a Mac and want to be able to easily share your iPhoto/Aperture photos, then maybe.

If you have a Mac and want to setup a website easily, maybe.

Just depends on your needs. But I wouldn't think of MobileMe as "just email".

9. beatledud macrumors 6502

I have a website that I pay a hosting company 10 bucks a month. Now can I load said site onto my MobileMe account and have my domain name link to the MobileMe host? If so, the $100/year beats the $120/year plus with all the other push items that will work with my iPhone.

10. The General macrumors 601

You might consider editing your website so that it doesn't resize my browser window when I navigate to it. How annoying. :mad:

11. aethelbert macrumors 601

If you're just getting it for your iPhone, it's a complete waste of money. You at least need a single mac to make it the worthwhile, and most features will benefit those with multiple macs. But if you're just using it with an iPhone, you wouldn't be using it to its fullest, and it's already a pricey service.

12. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

And what about those with PCs, you seem to be ruling that out by extension. I thought the interoperability was very useful.

13. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Yeah that is pretty annoying to have your browser resized for you. I kinda have it that size for a reason.

14. aethelbert macrumors 601

.mac has pretty much the same PC compatibility right now as mobileme, but it's still not a great experience. The service itself and many of its features revolve around OS X. I don't really see any reason to get it if the main device is the iPhone, especially if you're not using a mac with it.

My thoughts on this might change a bit once I see and use the web suite, but I really doubt it.

15. aristobrat macrumors G4

Maybe?

MobileMe would make all of the email, contacts and calendar data on the iPhone available via pretty much any computer with Internet access.

So if someone just owned an iPhone (and didn't own a computer), MobileMe would allow them to sit down at virtually any random computer they come across (work, school, friend, library, Internet cafe) and be able to access their PIM data through MobileMe's web interface.

How do you sync your Outlook calendar and contacts with the existing .Mac?

16. Pedromiguel20 macrumors member

can you use a .me adress on msn messenger by any chance?

17. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Ya, that is the worlds most annoying thing. Found another interesting thing snooping around:

<link href="file:///my comp/Users/_/Desktop/website/style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

:D

18. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Nobody actually answered this question. Can you use a different domain name with MobileMe? I feel like you can with .Mac but I can't remember for sure.

19. cyberbolt macrumors member

If you register your email address with passport.com, you will be able to log in to Messenger, yes.

Features which are specific to Hotmail accounts, such as telling you if you have new mail, won't work. It will literally just be an account to log in to the service.

20. aethelbert macrumors 601

Problem is that most people do own a computer. Sitting down with .mac I can go online and view all of my contacts and calendars as I've done for years. Mac or PC. It's still a terrible and slow experience and I'd rather do it through iCal/address book.

If you don't own a mac, the only thing that you're really getting is push contacts and calendar through native apps on the phone (seeing that one can already get push email via other providers). One could use google's online suites for free and get pretty much the same thing, but it would have to be through Safari. Seems like a waste of $100 per year just to have that on your phone, but it's not my money.

As far as I've seen it, Apple has never done a good job with stuff on windows. Comparatively, iTunes has had horrible performance for me on Windows, as has Safari and QuickTime. The .mac web interface is slow and clunky on pretty much every browser (again, this might change, but I kinda doubt it).

I personally wouldn't buy it just for the phone. Think what you want, though. I couldn't care less. You'd just be paying for a lot more than you would actually be using. If it's worth $100 to you, buy it. It's just that I personally wouldn't, that's all. There's a lot lost in .mac by not actually using a mac, and I don't really see mobileme changing that too much.

21. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Yes is the answer:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1932

What will happen to my iWeb sites? Will the URLs change?
    Your iWeb web site will still be available at the same URLs and will also be given a new URL at me.com. For example, web.mac.com/emily_parker/ will work as will web.me.com/emily_parker (both will go to the same website). If you have a personal domain setup for your iWeb site, it will continue to work without changing any settings at your registrar.

22. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Well that's sure not how Apple is marketing Mobile Me. I don't have a Mac. I have a Compaq laptop and an iPhone. I am looking to Mobile Me to allow me to easily share my email, calendar and address book between my laptop and iPhone without having to sync thru iTunes (which is very slow). Plus I'm looking for a place to store photos and share them with family. From your description, it doesn't sound like it would be useful for my needs. But you go to the Apple Mobile Me website and it sounds like it would be perfect for me.

As far as your comment regarding Safari on Windows. I use it as my main browser and am very happy with it.

23. Pedromiguel20 macrumors member

So if i sign up for passport.com okay got that - but at the same time will i be able to receive mail at www.me.com and all of that pushed to all my devices?

Can i use the .me stuff and the msn messenger (instant messenging) at the same time?

24. aethelbert macrumors 601

I'm not really pushing that what you mentioned isn't useful, but it integrates so much better with a mac. Hopefully it works better than the current browser version, but that's still a variable. It seems like any other time this discussion comes up, most people will say that they wouldn't buy .mac unless they had two macs. While one mac is fine for the service, I wouldn't be able to justify it just for an iPhone.

As I said, I really don't care if you buy it or not. Maybe it will help them win over some more converts to Mac OS.

And about the marketing, they'll market it an in any way possible to get people to buy it.

For me at least, it's been very slow compared to the macs that I use. I always just end up opening IE or firefox when on windows. Maybe that's because I was using Vista, though :eek:.

25. Pedromiguel20 macrumors member

in that case, would i still be able to use the push of mobile me and receive some mails when logged on to www.me.com ?