Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

DailyTech.com pinpoints the release of the upcoming mobile Penryn CPUs on January 6, 2008.

The upcoming mobile Penryn CPUs have been previously summarized and are expected to provide new processors that Apple could use in an upcoming MacBook Pro update.

Macworld San Francisco starts on January 14th, with a Keynote speech to be given by Steve Jobs on January 15th.

Article Link

Feverish Flux

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
I tried reading the MR Guides and can't seem to get it - are the new mobile Penryns dual or quad core?

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
Woohoo for new processors! It doesn't directly affect me at this point since my MBP is only 6 months old, but hey, good for the people who were planning on buying a new notebook! I'm hoping for some sort of sweet new features for the iPhone at MWSF. Hopefully we don't have to wait until February for new stuff (launched alongside the SDK).

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
If true this is most excellent news!!! Well, then again, the desktop class of the Penryn has already been announced and there is not an updated Mac Pro available....

Me = new Penryn MBP in Jan!!!!!!!!!

olliebraves20

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2007
Lansing, MI
Do you think that 9 days between the Penryn release and the keynote is enough time for an immediate release of the MacBook Pro's?? I'm afraid they won't start shipping till later in January....I really need a new MacBook Pro for spring semester!!

kire1820

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2007
Yay

I have my macbook for 1 year and a half now. Its working great and all but I want to replace one with a little bit more 3D processing power. Hopefully, this new 13" ultra thin will provide that for me...otherwise...ill probably upgrade to the regular MBP. But in any case...its time to save up some cash now so I can upgrade comes january.

tuneman07

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
Penryn doesn't even really seem all that impressive, a bit less power consumption, a bit cooler, but supposedly not much more powerful at least real world. I'm just hoping the prices of the current macbooks take a dive so I can buy one sooner.

jshalvorsen

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2007
Do you think that 9 days between the Penryn release and the keynote is enough time for an immediate release of the MacBook Pro's?? I'm afraid they won't start shipping till later in January....I really need a new MacBook Pro for spring semester!!

I'm in the same boat, been waiting for january for one semester now because I didn't really need to have a potent mac this semester. But next semester I will be doing a lot of FCP, Motion, Maya... so Penryn MBP would be awesome!

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Ready for my ultra light/thin laptop with the fold-out or unrolled 30 Inch screen.

Warning: Wrinkles and folding marks may affect the image, LOL

Very appropriate ... Jan 6 is 3 Wise Men day, NEW TOYS!

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Penryn doesn't even really seem all that impressive, a bit less power consumption, a bit cooler, but supposedly not much more powerful at least real world. I'm just hoping the prices of the current macbooks take a dive so I can buy one sooner.

Penryn is VERY impressive IMO.

ajmac25

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Mbp In January

I really need a new MBP, but have NO interest in a smaller 13 inch screen. The ultra-portable will be great for some, but I want an upgraded MBP. ANyone truly think they will come out with both? Apple has been disappointing at past BIG announcements and needs to fix the bugs in Leopard before I get real excited.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
I really need a new MBP, but have NO interest in a smaller 13 inch screen. The ultra-portable will be great for some, but I want an upgraded MBP. ANyone truly think they will come out with both? Apple has been disappointing at past BIG announcements and needs to fix the bugs in Leopard before I get real excited.

I'd say there is a good chance of both.

I would not be surprised to find out apple and intel have been working together to "spin" the new Peryn line to say something like, Peryn, from sub-notebook to 17" books, we have you covered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.