Mobile World Congress 2020 Canceled Due to Coronavirus

Rigby

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
So why don't they just roll this into CES? Do we really need a whole separate show for phones?
MWC is not just (and not even primarily) about phones. Typically telecom equipment makers like Ericsson, Huawei and Nokia have the largest presence (they occupy entire halls), and there's a lot of deal making going on. Many booths are invitation only. It's not really meant for consumer products.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
"a huge trade show that's important to the tech world because it's where many device manufacturers announce new smartphones and other hardware. "

So why don't they just roll this into CES? Do we really need a whole separate show for phones?
What? Why do we need multiple car shows? Why not just go to the Frankfurt or Tokyo car show. No need for Detroit or Geneva... Same reason.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Everyone focuses on the big tech companies, but they have their own channels for releasing news and demonstrating products. Who this is going to harm are the 1,000+ smaller vendors hoping to get noticed by the 100,000+ attendees.

Reactions: fairuz

konqerror

macrumors 68000
Dec 31, 2013
What? Why do we need multiple car shows? Why not just go to the Frankfurt or Tokyo car show. No need for Detroit or Geneva... Same reason.
Different situation. Car shows are open to the public and ticket prices are affordable (<$20). The majority of attendees do not travel so they are held in multiple cities.

MWC and CES are industry events; CES requires industry affiliation, MWC tickets range from 700 Euro the cheapest all the way to 5000 Euro.

Reactions: AustinIllini

Justanotherfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2018
Because different trade organizations throw their own conferences.

Though I tried to combine my daughter’s birthday party with some stranger’s down the street based on the same logic, and now I’m not very popular in my neighborhood.
Lol, omg... that analogy!!!
hahaha- I cant even.

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Different situation. Car shows are open to the public and ticket prices are affordable (<$20). The majority of attendees do not travel so they are held in multiple cities.

MWC and CES are industry events; CES requires industry affiliation, MWC tickets range from 700 Euro the cheapest all the way to 5000 Euro.
At least in the US local Car shows are run by the dealerships to drum up interest in vehicles they're trying to sell.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I don't recall in my lifetime as much of a disruption caused by a virus as this case. The virus and the response to it will be studied for years to come.

MRrainer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
I have a feeling that Apple's March event could move to the end of March - if they even hold it and don't just turn it into a live-streaming event. This thing still hasn't peaked in China. It's unclear if production can actually be resumed and sustained without getting half the factories infected.

firewood

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
If this gets worse, I think Apple will do the same for its own events or at least limit attendance at WWDC to only those in North America.
Not just new product announcements and WWDC. The AAPL shareholders meeting is currently scheduled for later this month, and in the past has drawn investors not only nationwide, but also foreign-based investors (and/or fund representatives). Wonder if anything will happen to that?

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Not just new product announcements and WWDC. The AAPL shareholders meeting is currently scheduled for later this month, and in the past has drawn investors not only nationwide, but also foreign-based investors (and/or fund representatives). Wonder if anything will happen to that?
Nothing. People who aren't allowed to come won't come due to travel restrictions.
- - Post merged: - -

In all honesty, the title of this article should be "due to fear of Coronavirus"

MacRumors, please call it by its new moniker: Covid-19 (or at least use its scientific name, 2019-nCoV); coronavirus is a generic term, not specific to this particular virus or illness.
Fair to say we all understand the coronavirus in question.

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I can't seem to tell if Covid-19 is a legit threat or if it's just hyped like SARS or MERS. I see signs pointing to both, which means the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. It seems serious but the world isn't ending. The big takeaway is that if this was 100 years ago we'd be in a lot more trouble. Or if this outbreak started in somewhere other than China where they don't mind dumping mounds of dirt and rocks to block all entry/exit from Wuhan and keep people trapped while having the resources to build a hospital in 10 days. But since there are several other members of the Coronavirus which are quite common and still haven't been eradicated (part of the common cold strains), there is a possibility that it could be around for a long time, semi-controlled, killing enough people to be bad but not a whole lot worse than the flu except that it seems to also kill people who aren't just infants or elderly. My biggest concern is my young daughter who has asthma and has been hospitalized for respiratory viruses in the past. She is likely in a high risk category.

Because different trade organizations throw their own conferences.

Though I tried to combine my daughter’s birthday party with some stranger’s down the street based on the same logic, and now I’m not very popular in my neighborhood.
I did this too with a neighbor down the street last year. We know them, though, and our daughter's birthdays are only a few days apart. We saved nearly half the money at Chuck-E-Cheese since they mostly have the same friends. It was a massive success and a highly recommend it.

Reactions: laz232

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I can't seem to tell if Covid-19 is a legit threat or if it's just hyped like SARS or MERS. I see signs pointing to both, which means the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. It seems serious but the world isn't ending. The big takeaway is that if this was 100 years ago we'd be in a lot more trouble. Or if this outbreak started in somewhere other than China where they don't mind dumping mounds of dirt and rocks to block all entry/exit from Wuhan and keep people trapped while having the resources to build a hospital in 10 days. But since there are several other members of the Coronavirus which are quite common and still haven't been eradicated (part of the common cold strains), there is a possibility that it could be around for a long time, semi-controlled, killing enough people to be bad but not a whole lot worse than the flu except that it seems to also kill people who aren't just infants or elderly. My biggest concern is my young daughter who has asthma and has been hospitalized for respiratory viruses in the past. She is likely in a high risk category.
My wife is a physician. Last I talked to her, she told me to stop worrying about it. I'm not sure how well this will spread in the US with this much attention.

We have diseases in the US of greater concern right now with flu being pretty serious this year.

theluggage

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2011
I can't seem to tell if Covid-19 is a legit threat or if it's just hyped like SARS or MERS.
As far as I can tell from the few snippets of rationality that slip through the press hysteria: yes it's a legit threat (as were SARS and MERS) and yes it's hyped.

Sounds like it's no more contagious or dangerous than plain old seasonal flu: i.e. pretty darn dangerous if you're old, frail or have existing heart/lung problems, but just a couple of days feeling rotten for most - which, of course, has a huge financial impact.

But it's new, nobody knows how it's likely to mutate, and the world could certainly do without another human coronavirus doing the rounds every year, so its a very good idea to apply the precautionary principle. Except media and politicians only have two operating modes: "complacency" and "panic".

Thing is, though, how can you tell how many people have had non-serious cases and just written it off as the flu (which nobody with any sense takes to their doctor)? The "reported cases" are going to consist of people with complications and people who got checked out because they'd just been to China.

Reactions: macduke

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
Why do I feel like the Coronavirus is a lot worse than the government is putting on? I've noticed in my doctors appointment this month, they asked have you and anyone you know traveled to Wuhan in the past 21 days?

code-m

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
If this gets worse, I think Apple will do the same for its own events or at least limit attendance at WWDC to only those in North America. I think in the case of the new iPhone a broadcast event from Apple Park with Apple employees and select few journalists and YouTubers should be enough.
Just out of curiosity why do any keynotes these days require a live audience, it’s not like some one attending is receiving an award to be presented. It’s 2020, it fact it should have transitioned sooner just live stream these things and save the carbon causing by travel, hotels, vehicles, merchandise (promo), paper, etc etc. The 2019 MBP 16” was a silent online release. Just make the keynote live stream only, I understand the need for WWDC to be attended due to networking and other training sessions etc, but these other keynotes have it live only and have the demo products available to key Apple Store locations, that way people can go see the products for themselves rather than read, listen or watch some tech bloggers or media rep opinion on it because you know they opinion matters (roll-eyes emoji). It’s like watching a review for a movie to decide if you are going to like it, just watch it if the narrative appeals to you, most of it is via online streaming anyhow.

Advertise it as being environmentally friendly and carbon reducing. It would be cool to go see the product at an Apple Store after the keynote announcement and then placed an order right away and await a delivery date.

2020 and we still working this like it’s two decades plus process, sheesh.

I wonder how much longer they can keep the financial markets propped up before the crash of all crashes.
You make it sound like this is the first virus to infect mankind, yeah SARS never happened in China either. Get over yourself, neither did swine flu in Central America, or whatever play the chicken little syndrome and sell me your Apple stock at half price ;)

Why do I feel like the Coronavirus is a lot worse than the government is putting on? I've noticed in my doctors appointment this month, they asked have you and anyone you know traveled to Wuhan in the past 21 days?
incubation period for most respiratory viruses is 14-21 days, just precautions nothing more. Don’t read too much into the tea leaves.

So apparently not a 'Limitless' conference. It has limits.
COVID-19 is the Limitless serum :p

Last edited:

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Pretty contained. Numbers haven't been moving much.
Those numbers are old. Total cases as of today are over 60K. Look at the ridiculously low “official” numbers for India (pop 1.3B) — a total of 3 cases? Sure, I believe that.:rolleyes: