Mobile World Congress 2020 Canceled Due to Coronavirus

MRrainer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Why? It is not held in China... are we going to cancel all global events? The ****..
It's going to be everywhere. And yes, events everywhere will be canceled.
It took four weeks in China to actually ramp up to the point where it could no longer be hidden.

Patient Zero got sick around December 1st. They closed the city around the 30th, IIRC.

Facebook, Google, Instagram and reddit are taking a page from the Chinese censor-overlords and are directing all searches related to this to official CDC and WHO websites.

Reactions: RogerWilco

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I think Apple could send review units to select journalists who would miss the hands on. Just do it with an embargo, if they choose to break it, they can pretty much say goodbye to any future events.

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
It's going to be everywhere. And yes, events everywhere will be canceled.
It took four weeks in China to actually ramp up to the point where it could no longer be hidden.

Patient Zero got sick around December 1st. They closed the city around the 30th, IIRC.

Facebook, Google, Instagram and reddit are taking a page from the Chinese censor-overlords and are directing all searches related to this to official CDC and WHO websites.
I'm not going to call this fear mongering, but it's worth mentioning that the spread has severely slowed outside of china.

The fact is China was ignorant or tried to cover up disease at exactly the wrong time and the whole problem was magnified by the New Years holiday in late January.

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
I'm not going to call this fear mongering, but it's worth mentioning that the spread has severely slowed outside of china.

The fact is China was ignorant or tried to cover up disease at exactly the wrong time and the whole problem was magnified by the New Years holiday in late January.
Air travel, sea travel, millions of people crossing borders. The world is China, just delayed by a month. Those Chinese delays and deceptions are now everyone’s problem. We need a vaccine ASAP.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2012
I really hope the infections/deaths stop ASAP. It’s affecting so many people. Sad stuff.
There are some good news. Number of new cases are already dropping in Wuhan and death rates there are decreasing due to the medical system finally catching up somewhat to the number of patients.
- - Post merged: - -

The initial coverup was by the provincial government because it might damage its image. The central government has essentially had to come in and contain the situation.

Justanotherfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2018
I think Apple could send review units to select journalists who would miss the hands on. Just do it with an embargo, if they choose to break it, they can pretty much say goodbye to any future events.
Good idea.

But MWC is for every handset company that is NOT Apple... so for your comment to make any sense the word Apple needs to be changed to “all the Android manufacturers that usually show at MWC”.

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
18 months they said at least.
If the stories out of San Diego are true, the earliest a vaccine could come out is this fall, which would be a record.
- - Post merged: - -

There are some good news. Number of new cases are already dropping in Wuhan and death rates there are decreasing due to the medical system finally catching up somewhat to the number of patients.
Yeah, the huge increase yesterday was a change based on qualifications, not actually a sudden huge growth in cases.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

sevoneone

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2010
The initial coverup was by the provincial government because it might damage its image. The central government has essentially had to come in and contain the situation.
Ah yes. I don't think there is a more appropriate use of this gif than this.

agxEr0WQ_700wa_0.gif

smirking

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I don't think we should be exhaling about the rate of infection going down because we don't really know that's true. China doesn't even know if that's true. They're fudging most of their numbers anyway, but that's not necessarily an indictment of a continued coverup. Everyone is fudging numbers because this is so new that nobody knows exactly how to measure it.

Previous viral outbreaks like this were thought to be highly lethal but were later revealed to be not as lethal when it was discovered that lots of people caught the virus, but only exhibited symptoms of a mild cold or nothing at all. Right now we don't know if the mortality rate is .001%, 1%, or 2% because the only people who are counted at all are the ones who are ill enough to seek medical attention which will skew the death rate. So far, it seems to be more deadly than the seasonal flu, but not a super killer.

It's probably already too late to stop it and we're just trying to slow it down and buy time to better understand how to fight it. Just wash your hands and stay home if you're sick. That's pretty much all you can do. Don't give anyone that mild cold that you have. There's a tiny chance that it's not really just a cold.

Last edited:

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
Why? It is not held in China... are we going to cancel all global events? The ****..
Might as well...We're only delaying the cancellations UNTIL said county gets infected. so why not just do it all now and be done with it.. That way they'll be no surprises when virus 'spreads'