Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

130255-258237_3.jpg

A new free application called MobileFiles offers MobileMe customers access to their iDisk files from their iPhone. Features include:

- Access files stored remotely on your iDisk folder (separate MobileMe account required)
- View files on your iPhone or iPod Touch in landscape or portrait with pan and zoom
- Download from multiple iDisk accounts or friends’ shared public iDisk folders
- Store downloaded files on your iPhone or iPod Touch for faster offline viewing or listening
- Manage your files with our built-in Filemanager for convenient file organization

MobileFiles supports the same standard filetypes supported in Apple's Mail client. This includes Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint as well as PDF and image files.

App Store Link: MobileFiles, Free

Article Link: MobileFiles Offers MobileMe's iDisk Access from iPhone

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Still no editing of Word docs or anything else? The iPhone really needs that!

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
AT LAST! I was thinking about ditching my Mobile Me account if an App didn't come out that would let me access my files on my iPhone.

Works a treat too.

Look forward to be able to edit my files. (would be good to be able to send them back to the iDISK once edited too)

tosui

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
Went through their survey after using it for a while - they asked several questions about being able to email and/or edit files. Also, their site states: "Coming Soon: Quickoffice will offer applications that will allow you to edit Microsoft Office files directly from your iPhone." So hopefully it will be in a future update?

Pretty impressed so far...

mrougeux

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2002
Needs extension

This works great so far, except that it will not recognize documents if they lack an extension (.doc, for example). This highly restricts its usefulness to me.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Still no editing of Word docs or anything else? The iPhone really needs that!

The minute they add editing the screaming for copy paste will be deafening. So, I doubt they'll add it before copy paste.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Should have saved my money... and not have gotten the "AirSharing" app... but I like this one too, and the "AirSharing" app is really cool, but $$

I wish Apple or someone will get it together. All these file access applications are consuming too much real estate on my iPhone. I have Air Sharing 1.0.3. It's very stable with a clean UI. However, connection to desktop is not as easy as Briefcase 1.0, which is less stable but offers more features. I like some features of Instapaper Pro (but have not purchased this one yet). Now we have MobileFiles available.

Each one allows some type of files to be accessed on the iPhone but falls short of being allowing users to do anything useful with those files besides view them. So far Briefcase does the most. It allows you to navigate a local or remote Mac, download or upload files and launch uploaded files on the connected computer. As a step closer to emailing files, jpeg images can be added to the camera roll. From there they can be emailed.

MobileFiles appears to offer a solution that frees up iPhone disk space. Likely there will be sacrifices in performance and battery life.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
This works great so far, except that it will not recognize documents if they lack an extension (.doc, for example). This highly restricts its usefulness to me.

Don't hold your breath on that one, pal. Even the desktop Mac OS has issues with files missing the proper extension. In the pre OS X era, Apple documents included a data and resource fork for identification. The resource fork identified the file type and application for editing. The problem was that sending such files over the Internet (hosted by non-Mac computers) stripped the resource forks.

In Mac OS X, resource forks are used under some circumstances but universal file extensions are more important. There's an option to hide them or show them but they are generally still there. Without them, transferring files over the Internet (via MobileFiles) results in an unrecognized document.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I downloaded and am liking it so far, I have airsharing as well for single file uploads/transfers.. I'm sure I can find a way of incorporating MobileFiles into the mix as well..

All in all, I'm pleased with it..

Rybold

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2008
California, USA
Just another way for Apple to try and get you to sign up for Mobile Me.
I have to tell you, if Mobile Me had worked right from day one, I would probably
still be subscribed to it. But I've lost faith in Mobile Me. sorry.

Does this program only work with Mobile Me ?

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Just another way for Apple to try and get you to sign up for Mobile Me.
I have to tell you, if Mobile Me had worked right from day one, I would probably
still be subscribed to it. But I've lost faith in Mobile Me. sorry.

Does this program only work with Mobile Me ?

Apple did not make this.

blows that theory out of the water.

The right theory is that Quick Office made this app and gave it away for free for brand and future product awareness.

zengod

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
Theres an other app out there already which can connect to idisk documents via mobileme called iStorage.

I only downloaded it the other week but can't recall if it was free or not but seems to work ok at least with excel spreadsheets which is all I have done so far.

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
This app is brilliant. I'm now able to store and view complex pdfs that the likes of Airsharing and Datacase (and a few others) were unable to cope with. And this is free. Fantastic. Only downside is that I've got to move the files from my PC to my iDisk and then download to my iPhone, but I can live with that.

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
London
Doesn't work with iWork

I can't believe this - it doesnt work with iwork. You can simply view pages docs as a quicklook jpg :mad::mad:

What the hell? I have the file saved as a .pages - is there something else I should be doing?

D:apple:

twist2b

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
North Carolina
Does anyone even HAVE mobileme? I would get it, but itts NOT worth that much o_O I can EASILY live without the app. Not to mention there are free apps to connect to your computer/laptop :eek:

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
das Fort
Does anyone even HAVE mobileme? I would get it, but itts NOT worth that much o_O I can EASILY live without the app. Not to mention there are free apps to connect to your computer/laptop :eek:

I have MobileMe and I use it to "send" clients large files all the time. This app is exactly the kind of thing I needed to access my iDisk files from my iPhone.

I will say it's a little disappointing, however, to not be able to access iWork files. Hopefully that will be addressed in an update soon. Pretty gaping hole for a product intended to work with files on a Mac.

Stig McNasty

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
I keep getting iTunes 'Network Connection is Resetting' and can't d/l the app... Anyone else having trouble getting the d/l to work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.