MobileMe Email

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mkaiser1, Jun 16, 2008.

1. mkaiser1 macrumors member

Hi guys and gals,

Sorry if there is a better place for a MobileMe query, but I can't find a better forum than this one, and my query relates to iPhone too so...

1) I don't own an original iPhone so I don't know if it already does this but will the 3G iPhone link with Microsoft Exchange the way Blackberry does? IE, can I link it to my work email address and calender and get live email and calender updates even though I wouldn't have a .Mac/MobileMe account?

2) If the above is possible, will the 3G iPhone allow for live email from 2 email addresses - ie my work one and my personal one. My personal one is currently a hotmail account that I've had for years, but I'd be happy to change to .Mac/MobileMe if that would help.

I'll look forward to your responses.

:)

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You'll be able to set up 2 Mail accounts on it. So yes in theory you can use both work and personal mailboxes.

If your company permit the use of Exchange ActiveSync with a personal device, this will also work as you expect, but that's if they allow it.

3. consumedsoul macrumors regular

The 2.0 software will allow seamless integration of Exchange (e.g. mail, contacts, calendar over the 'net).

Even the current software will allow multiple accounts, so I assume 2.0 will allow as well.

4. mkaiser1 thread starter macrumors member

...And the email/calender/contacts etc via exchange would be live without needing a .Mac/MobileMe account?

Does it cost anything for my employer or is it just a configuration change for my email account on the Exchange server?

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yes.
    No, but there are security implications. I've never worked anywhere that actually used ActiveSync, which means firewall ports aren't open, and no one likes changing things just for someone that comes wandering along with their personal device. You might be lucky, just warning you though.

6. mkaiser1 thread starter macrumors member

...So is there a difference between ActiveSync and Exchange?

I thought ActiveSync was merely when the device was plugged into my machine (which I would be allowed to do) and Exchange was the server config (which is currently done for Blackberry users)?

Wouuld the same thing need to be done to accomodate my iPhone that would need to be done to accomodate a Blackberry?

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

A Blackberry in business requires something totally different. A BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server). This sits on its own box and hooks in to Exchange.

I'm not 100% on the exact technicalities of ActiveSync (as I said, no where I've worked uses it). Believe me when I say though, just because you have Exchange does not mean your company will be configured or allow the use of the ActiveSync side of things.

8. mkaiser1 thread starter macrumors member

OK, that all makes sense - thank you for your help. :)

I have another Q though :rolleyes:
    Does MobileMe link to an Outlook account? IE, can I have MobileME account that is updated everytime someone sends an email to my work email address (which is not a .Mac/MobileME address)? And vice versa - Everytime I change a cal appointment say on my iPhone in MobileMe can it update my Outlook?

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

There's no such thing as an Outlook account. Outlook is just a Mail client supporting POP3/IMAP/Exchange accounts provided by a service provider. MobileMe is one of these services. You cannot make a work e-mail address a MobileMe one.

10. JonboyDC macrumors regular

As I understand it, the firewall port that needs to be open for ActiveSync is the same port that needs to be open for Outlook Web Access, which many businesses already have enabled. Which isn't to say that corporate I.T. departments won't be able to come up with some reason not to enable ActiveSync, but that wouldn't be a very good one.

My hope is that I'll be able to use ActiveSync to get my work e-mail, contacts, and calendar on my iPhone, and then use Mobileme to get the contacts and calendar onto my home computer. (But not the work e-mail, because mobileme's push e-mail will only work with a me.com e-mail address).

11. aristobrat macrumors G5

If you haven't seen it already, check out the Guided Tour for MobileMe. It shows most of the features in action.

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/

12. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

On our local work laptops we use Lotus Notes. I know there is a software that allows one to use Activesync via a cable or bluetooth to sync Lotus Notes with Windows Mobile phones. I hope the iPhone can be used this way so I can atleast get calendar's and emails on my iPhone even if not real time (syncs only when tethered with laptop).

13. squirrelbrand macrumors newbie

Another Question

Hey all.

Pretty basic, but I want to be sure I understand. I currently use Mail for my POP mail account and I want to have it work with MobileMe when it is launched.

My question is: will MobileMe allow me to use...exclusively...my POP account for incoming/outgoing messages? I want to use MobileMe instead of signing up for Exchange as it seems better.

Thank you!

14. rayward macrumors 68000

From what I remember from the Keynote explanation of MobileMe, it will sync with Outlook in that it will keep the calendar and contacts current in Outlook and on the web/iPhone. Your mail will work just the same, unless you use the MobileMe mail service in which case you'll get push email.

15. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I also actually have a question kind of piggybacking off this.
    I want my iPhone to receive push email from both my university's exchange server, and my Mobile Me account.

However, I only want to sync calendars and contacts with my Mobile Me account. How will my iPhone be able to know that? Or will it?

16. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

For your employer to enable ActiveSync there would be no cost involved.

However, for you to be able to receive mail via ActiveSync, there would be the cost of a data plan, unless you already have one on your iPhone.

I'm from Canada where my iPhone (when I had one) was running without a data plan. If you don't have a data plan, you'll get nothing from ActiveSync.

Cheers.

17. Kingley macrumors newbie

Are there any differences to MobileMe and .Mac?

18. aristobrat macrumors G5

Under how Exchange is setup on the iPhone, you're able to toggle contacts and calendar syncing on/off. I'd assume that the same is true for MobileMe, although I don't think anything about this has "officially" been shown.

Yes, several huge ones. Watching the Guided Tour video (link a few posts above) is a great way to see what's new.

19. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Yes. MobileMe replaces .Mac but adds a bunch of stuff.

20Gb iDisk storage vs 10 Gb with .Mac.

Push email, calendaring and contacts. Different email address (me.com vs. mac.com). The online apps for me.com are more fully featured that the ones for mac.com too.

Check out the demo online at Apple.

Cheers.

20. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

You can only sync 2 accounts?

21. Kingley macrumors newbie

Checked out the demo, but didn't know what features dot mac had :)

Was dot mac not push?
    Also, can you have your own domain as your e-mail address.
    Got a personal exchange account, but if I can change it to MobileMe, it would be cheaper per year..and nicer!

Also, with an exchange account, unless you a directly connected to the server you have the exchange account with, you have to enter your username and password into Outlook every time...anyone know if you iwll have to do this with MobileMe?

22. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

never did they say 'only'

23. aristobrat macrumors G5

I don't think he meant 'only'.

.Mac was not push, and never did over-the-air syncing of contacts + calendars.
    Haven't see anything that says it can do personal domains directly.
    I don't think anyone's had "hands-on" experience with it yet, so hard to say about your Outlook question.

24. Kingley macrumors newbie

Cheers for the replies!
    Had assumed that it did do push e-mail.
    Did .mac do personal domains do you know? I thought id read that it did, but cant find out how..

25. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

Whew! Thanks for the clarification!