'MobileMe iDisk' Music Streaming Functionality Gaining Renewed Attention

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In what seems to be a bit of a time warp, a number of sites are reporting on the ability of Apple's MobileMe iDisk application for iOS devices to stream music from a user's iDisk, including support for background audio via multitasking. The feature was introduced and plainly noted by Apple as part of a broader update to the application released nearly a month ago.

Today's publicity appears to have been sparked by a blog post by MP3.com founder Michael Robertson discussing the feature, which was then picked up and made into an "iTunes in the cloud" story by a number of other sites. Robertson is clear, however, that while this is a minor first step toward some sort of streaming capabilities, it is not in any way a proper music streaming service.
This is not "iTunes in the cloud" but it is definitely moving the Cupertino company in that direction. First off there is no automated way to get all your iTunes music to your iDisk account. To load files to iDisk you have to select individual files and upload them from your browser. (Apple does let you sync Calendars, Contacts, Bookmarks, etc directly from OSX but excludes music files.) Secondly there's no support for playlists so your iTunes playlist do not work in iDisk. There seems to be no way to play a list of files. Cover art is not supported as well. And while iDisk will cache other files, it will not cache music files. Still it's not hard to see how Apple is adding features to enable it to support audio in it's cloud storage business.
Macworld also brings a sense of reason to the excitement over the feature:
In a nutshell, streaming media in the background with its MobileMe iDisk app is a marginally useful feature that Apple added (and mentioned) in July. But it isn't quite time to break out the credit cards and bubbly in celebration of "iTunes in the cloud" yet.
Apple has reportedly been working to develop a service that would allow users to store their purchased iTunes libraries on Apple's servers and stream them to a broad array of Internet-connected devices. The company has been rumored to be scaling back its music streaming plans, however, as it continues to seek licensing deals with major labels to permit the functionality. The streaming capabilities of MobileMe iDisk would also appear to be forbidden under current music label licensing deals, but the labels have not yet publicly addressed any concerns over this limited functionality.

Article Link: 'MobileMe iDisk' Music Streaming Functionality Gaining Renewed Attention

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
Here we go

Well, here's to the era of cloud computing. Your iDisk becomes your cloud. If they do it right, it'll be awesome. Hopefully the next Mac OS will provide MobileMe for free, seeing as it looks to be the crux of any cloud-based solution that Apple could put together. And it's definitely coming. Just a little while ago, they were hiring for a 'revolutionary' feature for their OS, and cloud computing experience was listed as desired.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
As a MobileMe (all the way back to .mac) user I always am holding out hope it will offer more. The only reason I still fork over $99 bucks is to keep my email address.

machpost

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
What about services like Orb, that have been doing this sort of thing for years? I've been streaming music and video from my iTunes library for a long time with orb.com and the OrbLive app.

Sedulous

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2002
We all know why this has not happened. The Music Biz probably wants Apple to make iTMS customers re-purchase songs that are "iTunes+cloud".

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
It makes sense to release it such a service with MobileMe. If the music streaming was put together with MobileMe, that'd be very wonderful.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
That Apple needs special licensing agreements with the music cartel to enable the streaming of music we've legally purchased from a centralized server to a portable device we own is absurd.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Streaming music from iDisk . . . interesting. Now, if only there were a way to play my music on the device itself . . .

xforce11

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
Record Labels are in it for the $. I own the music and I can share it between two computers on the same network now with iTunes. Would love to do the same thing not on the same network.

Right now users have to pick and choose what music, movies, tv shows, books, and applications they want to take with them because the mobile devices (iPod touch, iPhone & iPad) all have less storage space that an iPod classic. Either let us stream our media from a home computer and or give us bigger hard drives.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
And you don't use/like Find My iPhone?
I didn't use it when I had an iPhone. Don't use it now that I have my EVO. Either way paying $99 for the feature isn't worth it. Insurance for my current phone is $4 dollars a month and covers everything.

The Record Company and Apple are BOTH in it for the money.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
This has nothing to do with anything. Safari does the same thing when streaming. Maybe Apple is teaming up with Microsoft to stream through Safari...

Attachments

BlondeBuddhist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
I didn't use it when I had an iPhone. Don't use it now that I have my EVO. Either way paying $99 for the feature isn't worth it. Insurance for my current phone is $4 dollars a month and covers everything.

The Record Company and Apple are BOTH in it for the money.
Could I get all the features from other providers, possibly cheaper and with some for free? Maybe. However I look at it like bundling your cable/web/phone... It's just easier.

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
As a MobileMe (all the way back to .mac) user I always am holding out hope it will offer more. The only reason I still fork over $99 bucks is to keep my email address.
Ya but you have to admit, it's a nice email address. Tis the only reason I have it as well.

Tyre

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I hope people don't rush to get a MobileMe account now because they think this is cloud-based iTunes. A solid feature to save space on the why-not-expanded-hard-drive of the iP4, but really not much more than that. Certainly not worth $99 if this is your justification.

Tyre

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
That Apple needs special licensing agreements with the music cartel to enable the streaming of music we've legally purchased from a centralized server to a portable device we own is absurd.
+1.

Record Labels are in it for the $. I own the music and I can share it between two computers on the same network now with iTunes. Would love to do the same thing not on the same network.

Right now users have to pick and choose what music, movies, tv shows, books, and applications they want to take with them because the mobile devices (iPod touch, iPhone & iPad) all have less storage space that an iPod classic. Either let us stream our media from a home computer and or give us bigger hard drives.
You say that as if it is a revolutionary (and magical?) point. The only reason the iPod Classic still exists is because of its storage space. I predict the iPod Touch will get there this September (or close with 128gb) and the iPad next year. Why the iP4 didn't deserve 64gb I think has to do with size, although it certainly would have been nice considering no forthcoming cloudTunes.

justinfreid

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Backup.app

Backup.app can be used to automatically sync certain folders or file types (AAC, MP3, etc.) to iDisk, but the upload rate is very slow.

For personal use, with all the time and configuration it would take to transfer your songs to iDisk, and the inelegant file management method you have to use to play them, syncing via iTunes is obviously better. But, you can put a folder of songs in your public folder and share them with any iOS device user.

john0879

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
My thoughts exactly. More greed from the music industry.

tairamo

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
There's already service like that

Why don't they build some functionality like slingbox and get it over with...
Basically any company can start their own 'cloud based' personalized customized radio with this platform.
It's still BETA and company is looking for funding to scale up but all technology is ready to go.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mmi-radio/id371705429?mt=8

more information
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3KqmBXcZKQ

info@mmibroadcasting.com