MobileMe? Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JeffR, Jun 25, 2009.

1. JeffR macrumors member

JeffR

The title pretty much says it all... is MobileMe really worth it? It seems like a lot of the faetures can be replaced by other apps or by just syncing later. Do I really need it, for example, to get email notifications? I have my own imap server - do I need MobileMe to get push notifications?

2. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

Use the search feature

the title of my reply pretty much says it all...

3. aidricksdad macrumors regular

aidricksdad

Blank

MEAN MEAN MEAN I LIKE IT

4. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

You can try the 60 day FREE trial to see if it does any thing for you.
    That's what I'm doing. So far and I am leaning toward getting it.
    And yes, there are some other free apps that will do mostly the same thing but I like the tight integration with my iPhone.
    I'm a PC user and it works fine for me.
    Just try it for free.:eek:

5. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

It is definitely worth it. Read the Find My iPhone thread and you'll see that for that alone it is worth it.

6. joro macrumors 68020

joro

This is the direction I would go and see if YOU like it ;)

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

$70 from amazon made it worth it for me.

8. glide macrumors regular

I used it for the 60 day trial when it first came out, thought it was garbage and never looked back.

Why do I need to spen another $100/yr on functionality I can get for free elsewhere (cloud, email, contact syncing, etc...)

9. cmaier macrumors G3

Getting closer to being worth it. I find it a very useful source of syncing things from my mac in combination with syncing things OTA with google, and keeping two sets of contacts and calendars (to separate work from home - my work situation is complicated by the fact that our exchange server is not open ).

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think so, but then I've been a mobileme user since the free iTools days. With the addition of the iPhone I cannot imagine using any other service since it integrates so well with my Mac and iPhone.

With that said, I still cannot believe how slow iDisk is after all these years its still painfully slow.

11. PhxBlue macrumors regular

PhxBlue

My opinion is that $100 is hefty but at the moment i am enjoying the 60 day trial which by the way does include the find my iphone feature.

12. nws0291 macrumors 6502

Amazon has it for $66 http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MB824Z-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1245958077&sr=8-1

If you only use mobileme for the iPhone it is not worth it at all. If you have a mac and use the exchange account, idisk, web hosting, pic galleries, etc then it is a bargain.

13. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

With my exchange from work (calendar, contacts, email), google caldav, yahoo caldav,& yahoo push, the only thing I have that does not push is personal contacts, which is fine for me, I just plug my phone in once every few weeks to my pc.

As for photo galleys and sharing, I use the photo bucket app, and the photo bucket mobile email feature...

After a pic is uploaded, photobucket returns the link to the pic in an email for me to copy and paste to wherever I want.

I think I'm fine without mobile me.

Also google sync is available for others to use, but I use exchange for my work account, so google is a no go for me.

14. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Totally worth it. It just . . . works. It took a few months after release, but it does. I love how anything I'm working on - home computer, work computer, iphone, ipod touch - all has the same calendar, contacts, mail - already synced.

Yes you could do the same with many other apps, but I like that it's all integrated and in one place. Plus the find my iphone is something that, while gimmicky, is pretty cool and has the potential to be very useful, especially when your phone is under a stack of papers or in the couch.

That said, get it through Amazon. 1/3 off ain't bad.

15. hoffmant macrumors member

60-day trial?

So could I do the 60-day trial, then, if I like it & want to stay with it, get the $66 version from Amazon? Or are you basically signing up for the $$99 a year if you opt for the trial first?

16. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

No you can input the code that comes from the retail box.

17. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I FINALLY figured out that having a GOOGLE account is probably 80% of what mobil me gives you.. The calander is synced to your iphone and updated instantly when you change from the computer to phone or visa versa.

You can store and move documents there.. you have an email, chat, etc..

Just about everything you need.. just takes a little work to get everything to sync, but not bad!

18. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

sign up for the 60 day trial and if you lie it, buy the 1 yr from ebay, amazon etc (ebay is probably cheapest) and you will effectively get 14 months for the price of 12

19. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

the "Find my iPhone" IS NOT going to help you find your phone inbetween the couch cushions.. its gets it about as accurate as the street/house, but its not a homing device.. its not going to beep when you get close..

20. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Absolutely worth it especially if you can get it for $70. Just having online web and iDisk space along with the find my iPhone feature is enough for me. A great deal for $5.83 a month!

21. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I finally figured out that a bicycle gives me %80 of my transportation needs compared to a car.

It has wheels and I can easily add a horn from 3rd party. It's really fast going down hill too. Not bad it just takes a little energy.

22. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

But you can have it play an alert sound, which can help you pinpoint it, as long as your volume was up when you lost it.

23. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

wow nukinfutz.. your are so darn smart.. Seriously. I commend you on your ability to see that 80% is NOT 100% Moron

I was stating that about 80% of the functions are available on google's accounts.. So.. if there are functions on Mobil Me accounts that you dont really need, or care to pay $99/year for.. then google is probably the next viable solution.

Wow.. people here really are obnoxious

24. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Wow did I hurt your "wittle" fewings because you came in hear with your Wal*Mart sensibilities?

Nice ad hominem to end your logically deficient and puerile post. Don't you have a barbie to go play with? Oops there I go being a bad nuk nuk.

Ok I'll use Google...you sold me babe.

25. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

haha... I love nerds.. they offer so much comic relief. I can jusgt imagine reading your post in the tone of the COMIC BOOK GUY from the simpsons.