Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
Hi guys,

I signed up for MobilMe when I received my iPad last Friday from Apple. I decided quickly that I did not want it so I canceled it after a couple of days, but not before I set it up to work with my iPhone and my iPad.

I removed the MobilMe account from both devices and my iPad is fine, but on my iPhone EVERY time I make a change to a contact or add a new one I get a message that "MobilMe Sync Failed - The password for the MobilMe user "xxxxx" is incorrect."

AAAHHH!

How do I make it stop?

Any ideas?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hi guys,

I signed up for MobilMe when I received my iPad last Friday from Apple. I decided quickly that I did not want it so I canceled it after a couple of days, but not before I set it up to work with my iPhone and my iPad.

I removed the MobilMe account from both devices and my iPad is fine, but on my iPhone EVERY time I make a change to a contact or add a new one I get a message that "MobilMe Sync Failed - The password for the MobilMe user "xxxxx" is incorrect."

AAAHHH!

How do I make it stop?

Any ideas?

Delete the account entirely from the Mail app settings.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
Delete the account entirely from the Mail app settings.

I think I did that.

I went to Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars and the only account listed is my Gmail account. The Mobilme account is not there. But I still keep getting the errors.

I thought I was posting this in the iPhone forum but since it's here I'll leave it, but if a mod wants to move it I am sorry for the inconvenience.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I think I did that.

I went to Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars and the only account listed is my Gmail account. The Mobilme account is not there. But I still keep getting the errors.

I thought I was posting this in the iPhone forum but since it's here I'll leave it, but if a mod wants to move it I am sorry for the inconvenience.

The inquiry is fine here. As per your problem, I have no idea what might be the problem.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
OK, thanks. I'll contact support before I resort to that. Do you think I should contact iPhone support or MobilMe support?

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
iPhone email settings are transferred to your device via iTunes. Once you sync with your email settings set up correctly on your desktop, your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad will stop bugging you for mobile me login information. Changing it in "settings" on your device alone, when it was set up to use MobileMe the last time you sync'd will probably not be enough to get it to "stick".

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Did you turn off the sync options in the mobileme acct on your phone before you deleted it?

In iTunes rather then restore I'd just make sure that the mobileme checkbox is unselected for syncing and also do the replace contacts on phone option in itunes. which will just take your contacts from your computer. unless whats on your computer doesn't match whats on your phone shouldn't be an issue and takes a couple seconds only.

re2st

macrumors regular
May 2, 2007
San Jose, CA
iPhone email settings are transferred to your device via iTunes. Once you sync with your email settings set up correctly on your desktop, your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad will stop bugging you for mobile me login information. Changing it in "settings" on your device alone, when it was set up to use MobileMe the last time you sync'd will probably not be enough to get it to "stick".
There's a "MobileMe" section in System Preferences on your mac. Remove the credentials from there and/or disable the sync.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
There's a "MobileMe" section in System Preferences on your mac. Remove the credentials from there and/or disable the sync.

I was gonna mention that, but the OP didn't say if his main computer is a mac. Still, turning off the MobileMe account in system preferences doesn't do it. You would have to remove the account in Mail and then the next time you sync, you would have to enable "mail sync" which really transfers your account settings to your iThing, not any actual mail.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
Thanks for the input. I am on a PC

iPhone support told me to reset. :rolleyes:

I assured him I tried that. Then he had me turn off MobilMe in the PC's MobilMe Control Panel.

Then he told me to contact MobilMe.

MobilMe had me verify everything. Then she said to contact iPhone support. :rolleyes:

They are passing me around.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Thanks for the input. I am on a PC

iPhone support told me to reset. :rolleyes:

I assured him I tried that. Then he had me turn off MobilMe in the PC's MobilMe Control Panel.

Then he told me to contact MobilMe.

MobilMe had me verify everything. Then she said to contact iPhone support. :rolleyes:

They are passing me around.

Software reset -> setup as new iPad. You're going to lose all of your stuff (saved settings, app data etc.), but it will save you time.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
I've never restored before.

How will I get my data back (songs, pics, contacts, etc) and if it's from a back-up wouldn't it recreate my problem too?

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
Software reset -> setup as new iPad. You're going to lose all of your stuff (saved settings, app data etc.), but it will save you time.

It's not the iPad that has the problem, it's the iPhone. But I guess your point is the same, and taken.

MobilMe Support thinks it's a problem in the iPhone's software and also said, at the end of our chat, to restore. I am surprised the iPhone's software is wrong but the brand new iPad's isn't, but whatever.

I don't change my contacts often enough to want to do this right away. I may wait cuz putting all my stuff back on will take more time than I have today. And I can deal with a stupid message when/if I do change or add a contact.

This is tabled for now.

But thanks for your replies!

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
connect your phone and sync, then click the button that says restore, Sit and wait. it will take about 10 min after itunes downloads the firmware.

there is a bug in the Mac OS where you have access to your mobile me settings as long as you have a mobile me account. one of the settings in there is to show the sync status in the top bar. However, if you check that and then cancel your mobile me and sign out, you will have the status icon in the bar forever. no way to get back to it without having an active account.

im thinking the same kinda thing is going on here.

msavwah

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Oahu
Did you resync all of your data checking the boxes in iTunes for mail, contacts, calendars, etc?
In other words copy the data from your pc so the iPhone knows that data should come from an iTunes sync and not over the air.

I'm assuming you had to do this just checkin though.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
Did you resync all of your data checking the boxes in iTunes for mail, contacts, calendars, etc?
In other words copy the data from your pc so the iPhone knows that data should come from an iTunes sync and not over the air.

I did not...last thing I did not try so I will now.

OH, and I know Restore and Resync isn't hard in practice but time wise I just don't have time for all that syncing today--I have a 32-gig and it's 4 gigs shy of being full. The picture optimizing takes foooooreeeeeeeeveeeeeeerrrrrrr.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas

OK, I just did it. And now I have NO contacts at all. LOL!

ZERO!

But, I am STILL getting the MobilMe error message. :rolleyes:

Restoring looks to be my last resort.

I know someone in here said this early on followed by at least one other, so thank you all, and you were right.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
I've decided to do the restore now.

I clicked restore and it wants to know if I want to back-up the settings on my iPhone before the restore.

Should I?

Anyone?

**** it...I'm saying YES. If that was wrong, I'll restore again and say NO.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
I've decided to do the restore now.

I clicked restore and it wants to know if I want to back-up the settings on my iPhone before the restore.

Should I?

Anyone?

**** it...I'm saying YES. If that was wrong, I'll restore again and say NO.

I would of said no. To lose all traces of MobileMe settings. But alas, try it and see what happens. If it doesn't work then do it as a new phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.