MobileMe Launching on July 9th Between 6pm-12am PT

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 7, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has announced the launch date and time for their MobileMe service. The revamped .Mac service will offer web-based email, calendar, addressbook, photo gallery and storage capabilities as well as "Push" sync services. Apple announced MobileMe at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference in early June.

According to their service status update in .Mac, they detail that MobileMe will launch on the evening of July 9th:
    The timing comes as little surprise as Apple must deploy MobileMe before 5am Pacific July 10th in order to accommodate the first iPhone customers in New Zealand. We also expect iTunes 7.7 to be released before this time as it is required for the iPhone 3G.

Article Link

2. amusiccale macrumors 6502

3. beatledud macrumors 6502

what a late announcement, we gonna hear more about the iphone at 4 am tomorrow?

4. naroola macrumors member

Arn, you are quick! I just submitted this story to you about 1 minute ago. :)

5. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

nice can't wait for this...this setup up is going to be sweet!

6. mattbray macrumors member

Yay

I already have my aliases set up and I've told everyone that I will have a new email address by the end of the week (I'm going to use mobileMe as my primary as opposed to Gmail. I love Gmail but push email is enough to lure me away). A few times today I looked at my iPhone and thought, "Damn I wish I had push email... and contacts and calendars... How about ONE easy to use web interface? That would be freaking amazing..."

I think Apple will see a huge surge in the number of people purchasing mobileMe subscriptions. If you have an iPhone it's probably the best $99 you'll ever spend.

7. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

Official "Mobile Me" Live 7/9 !!

This was on my .Mac home page tonight:

MobileMe Launch
    7/9/2008, 6pm-12am PT

As part of the MobileMe launch, www.mac.com will be taken offline at 6pm PT on Wednesday, July 9th.

We are close to PUSH mail!

8. Brundlefly macrumors member

Brundlefly

Lotta good it does us here in Canada.

Iphone outrageous price, tag on mobile me for $69, ontop of the overages you would have to use with a Rogers account and its too much.

9. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I'll be buying MobileMe just for the iDisk capability. Having my two computers constantly in sync for both calendars AND all my important files would be great! Plus eventually I will get an iPhone (if Rogers ever lowers the data prices...)

10. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

I hadn't noticed so I went to look. They have it in teeny print, huh? I usually don't even scroll down that far.

11. Rychiar macrumors 6502

Rychiar

I'd get mobileme IF the damn email was FREE. seriously who gets paid accounts anymore? I used to have a .mac account as my main email and when that $100 a year started seeming too steep for me and i needed a real webhost i had to drop it...and therefore lost my longtime email that started off free mind you. The fact that i lost that even haunts me to this day sometimes and i dropped it 3 years ago.:rolleyes:

12. solipsism macrumors 6502a

solipsism

Since Gmail is free, offers IMAP and I'm assuming will have Push eventually, I'm just having my Gmail forwarded to my .Mac account and will use Gmail as my outgoing mail server on my iPhone.

PS: I was going to post the cheapest place I found .Mac (which is valid for MobileMe) for $79 for BOTH the individual and family packs from Royal Discount, but now they are up to $90 and $95. Still a good price, but the 3 family pack licenses I bought last week for $79 each was a great deal. I'm set for 3 years now.

13. pugnut macrumors 6502a

www.me.com splash screen reveled the 9th

Although the day is wrong, it say tuesday, the date on the calender is the 9th

just a observation.

www.me.com

14. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

15. moloukhya macrumors regular

I just bought two .Mac boxes. One was delivered as a box, and the other one I got the code emailed via eBay. Each one was about $64, Great deal if you ask me.

I just entered the second code to stack them and I got a message saying my account will auto-renew next June. Has anyone done auto-renewal using an activation code?

16. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

Great news. Can't wait to start using this service.

17. solipsism macrumors 6502a

solipsism

The 9th day of the month does fall on Tuesday, just not for this July. That is the MobileMe icon, nothing more should be read into it.

18. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

On second thought, it seems to be the default calendar icon for the iPhone press images.

19. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

awesome - I can't wait to get it and then my iPhone

20. solipsism macrumors 6502a

solipsism

In 1998? :D

21. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Cool, something to play with waiting for the iPhone 3G :D

22. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

alright! can't wait for this! and now we have a countdown!

23. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

What I just don't understand what took Apple so long to roll this service out? .Mac should have been out of the game awhile ago.

24. knelto macrumors regular

This year the 9th falls on a Tuesday in September and December. Another interesting, albeit unrelated, find that someone mentioned a while ago is the number on the calculator on the iPhone feature page (12.1808 or Dec 18th, 2008)

[​IMG]

Something involving MobileMe and iPods in September? Something completely new before Christmas?! Nah, probably just looking into things too hard...

25. kabunaru Guest