Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mobileme_web_apps_down.jpg

Just days after Apple's MobileMe service experienced an email outage for some customers, MacRumors readers are once again reporting difficulties with the service, this time reporting problems accessing the various web applications available through me.com.

Apple's system status page confirms the issue:
Some MobileMe members are unable to access most of the web applications via me.com. However, members can still access Find My iPhone or Account by manually typing me.com/find or me.com/account respectively. Normal service will be restored ASAP. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Unlike the earlier incident, however, users still appear able to access MobileMe email through other email clients using IMAP.

Article Link: MobileMe Web Apps Down Again

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Something's weird somewhere.

If you type the URL: me.com/mail OR me.com/idisk and use your credentials to login, it works.

But if you just type me.com and use your username/password, it doesn't work.

The issue is in the authentication for the account login.

i.e. me.com/authenticate

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I am also having issues connecting to Game Center via 3G. It says, "Loading..." but neve rloads. It has happened a few times laready today. :rolleyes:
I have noticed that problem. The App and iTunes Store has been real slow today as well.

i can't believe people pay for this.
I doubt I will be renewing unless serious improvements and intensives arrive. Google provides a much more reliable service free.

If you type the URL: me.com/mail OR me.com/idisk and use your credentials to login, it works.

i.e. me.com/authenticate
Doesn't work for me... :confused:

JLB-UK

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
UK

i.e. me.com/authenticate

Not working for me :( Basically I have no access to any of the web apps at this moment in time.

Im not sure I will be renewing mine next January

Update: Can only access Find my Device

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
It's an easy way to keep all your documents in the cloud. I don't have to worry about hard disk failures, or a home fire, or earthquake. If it's too expensive for you then get a job that pays more.

So is DropBox...and SugarSync. The difference is that they are much faster and spread around better datacenters ;)

----------

I really don't get why people pay for MobileMe...its a complete failure as a service. It doesn't even come close to GMail when it comes to performance.

I sense its only being purchased because of a certain fruit sitting in the corner of the screen.

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
I doubt I will be renewing unless serious improvements and intensives arrive. Google provides a much more reliable service free.

If Gmail/GCal works for you, then you should stick with that (given that it's free).

But as someone who has both Gmail/GCal accounts and MobileMe mail/calendar accounts, in my experience the MobileMe accounts are much MORE reliable than the Google equivalents. Gmail completely chokes if you have more than a couple computers/devices trying to access it via IMAP, and GCal is terrible at handling simple things like recurring events...it's always getting corrupted.

techpr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
San Juan, PR
So is DropBox...and SugarSync. The difference is that they are much faster and spread around better datacenters ;)

----------

I really don't get why people pay for MobileMe...its a complete failure as a service. It doesn't even come close to GMail when it comes to performance.

I sense its only being purchased because of a certain fruit sitting in the corner of the screen.

Ohh yes, very reliable! (this was 5 minutes ago).

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-19 at 3.25.38 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-19 at 3.25.38 PM.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 165

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003

Gmail performance is a joke. I had to abandon it for – get this – AOL Mail (AIM) because it can't handle more than a couple IMAP clients reliably. Even AIM is still flaky sometimes. Only MobileMe and my work e-mail are very reliable with multiple IMAP clients.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
People complain about mobile me. But for me, no one can match what it offers.
How it just syncs notes (especially for me), contacts and calendars, has always been flawless for me, no other service I have tried works as well in this way.

Idisk, yeah okay its not the best or the fastest, but at the end of the day, it transfers files, and 10seconds to upload a small word document, for transferring between home and college is perfectly fine.

having said that, I will reconsider other alternatives, when mobile me expires.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
Gmail performance is a joke. I had to abandon it for – get this – AOL Mail (AIM) because it can't handle more than a couple IMAP clients reliably. Even AIM is still flaky sometimes. Only MobileMe and my work e-mail are very reliable with multiple IMAP clients.

Gmail performance has really gone down every year since I've been using it(since 2007). I'd gladly pay $20/year for faster service.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Maybe they have been switching over app by app in prep for the cloud launch. Eveything will run from the new data centre!

steadysignal

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
I have noticed that problem. The App and iTunes Store has been real slow today as well.

Doesn't work for me... :confused:

good luck with your privacy...

orthorim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Maybe they have been switching over app by app in prep for the cloud launch. Eveything will run from the new data centre!

They really need to hire some people who know what they're doing.

MobileMe is a joke. Take Dropbox. Dropbox does what iDisk is supposed to be doing, but doesn't. It's very simple, it's very efficient, it "it just works". iDisk - I tried it once, it was so slow I never tried it again.

Yes I still have a MobileMe account. Tried to cancel a few times but inertia kept me from doing it, and then I was auto-renewed for another year. One time I even had my credit card expire, but they somehow charged it anyway - the new cc had the same number, just a different expiry date, so Apple charged that... despite not having the new expiry date on file. Cheeky!

revolt

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2010
Not so fast...

----------

Actually, MobileMe allowed me to backup email going back to 2004 that was in my Apple Mail app. I had to always back up my email databases. Now with MobileMe, I've uploaded all of that email to the cloud and when any new email comes in, it goes to the email in the cloud. MobileMe is way powerful when you don't want to use Microsoft Exchange/Entourage and you have your own domain.

While Gmail can handle up to 5 unique domain email address, GMail is horrible in Apple Mail and the iPhone. Gmail in Apple Mail doesn't like the Rules I set for email to go to certain folders.

The reality is, minus apps folder and documents folders, my laptop could get stolen, but thanks to MobileMe, everything else is backed up—backups of all my email going back over 5 years, calendars, contacts, bookmarks, keychains, my dock, my widgets, notes and OSX preferences.

While my laptop has never been stolen, I recently had to leave it with Apple for repairs for a week. I am a business owner and the moment I got home, I loaded up my aging Mac Mini, added my design software, and was able to keep working on my design work like nothing had changed (albeit, on a slower machine).

It' not about getting a Me.com account (And I agree—if it were just email, it should probably be free.) I do have a Gmail account and know that Google's service has definitely crapped out on me as well. In fact, I don't even use my Me.com email at all—it's about the peace of mind that my laptop, iPhone and iPad could all break, get lost or stolen (heck, my house could burn down), and yet everything is backed up, ready to go as soon as I replace the device.

EatSleepMac

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2011
New York
Agreed

They really need to hire some people who know what they're doing.

MobileMe is a joke. Take Dropbox. Dropbox does what iDisk is supposed to be doing, but doesn't. It's very simple, it's very efficient, it "it just works". iDisk - I tried it once, it was so slow I never tried it again.

Yes I still have a MobileMe account. Tried to cancel a few times but inertia kept me from doing it, and then I was auto-renewed for another year. One time I even had my credit card expire, but they somehow charged it anyway - the new cc had the same number, just a different expiry date, so Apple charged that... despite not having the new expiry date on file. Cheeky!

Agree with you 100%. I'm an avid Dropbox user and unless this iCloud unicorn blows my mind I don't see myself dropping Dropbox. I was so close to dishing out the 99 bucks for MobileMe, needless to say, I'm glad i dogged that bullet..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.