MobileMe web hosting?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by candyman, Jun 10, 2008.

1. candyman macrumors regular

I am curious to find out if I can use MobileMe to host my freelance website? I already pay $90 a year for my server space and email.

The reason I never signed up for a .Mac account was my assumption that my website would have to be named www*mysitename*mac. I still want to keep www*mysitename*com.

I notice when reading through Apple's (MobileMe on your Mac) it reads " MobileMe will also host your personal domain name so you can publish your site directly to www.youraddress.com." Does this mean I can build my site (say in Dreamweaver) and upload it and then when someone types in my website address (www*mysitename*com) it will go to that domain name directly or do I have to redirect and then the landing page becomes something with a me.com/ attached at the end?

I love the idea of having push contacts and calendar and am really sold by the iDisk where I can store and share my large files easily no matter where my location. I have a lot of instances where I have a file too big to email and trying to get the recipient to understand FTP is quite a challenge.

My greatest concern is being able to use MobileMe to host my website and email. If I know that this is possible I would much rather send the $99 to Apple and have everything always synced up and automatically updated. The experience I have had over the past 2 months with my iPhone and all my other "i" suites on my Mac has been awesome. To be able to have my whole life saved in one spot that I don't have to worry about syncing or updating constantly would be huge.

2. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

3. candyman thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you.

My concern was how back in the day, if you wanted to create your own website through someplace like Yahoo! you had to use the Yahoo name in the domain like GeoCities.Yahoo.com or like your cable provider such as yousitename.cox.net.

At lease those were my experiences unless you chose a specified website host server.

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

So your problem is that you want a subdomain and not a name after the domain name? I hardly see how this is an issue. Type web.mac.com/username and it will take you to your iweb page or type homepage.mac.com/username and it will take you to the thing in your sites folder. Type gallery.mac.com/username and it will take you to your gallery.

5. candyman thread starter macrumors regular

No, I just want my domain name (www.idyznegraphics.com) to be hosted through MobileMe and when someone types my address in, it shows that site address and NOT www.idzynegraphics.me.com or www.me.idzynegraphics.com

I use Adobe Dreamweaver to build my site and would just upload the files to my MobileMe account.

6. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I'm *pretty* sure they already have support for your own domain name in .Mac, meaning Mobile me should definitely have it.

7. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Um, yeah. If you own domain name www.somedomainname.com you can make it when you type that in you get your mobileme webpage. I don't really understand what the problem is here. It does exactly what you're asking for unless we're all misinterpreting your question.

8. candyman thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I believe there has been some misinterpreting of my question. As far as all the answers say, MobileMe will do exactly what I need and want it to do. Thank you for all of your input and help!

9. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

candyman - your issue is exactly what I wanted - I masked my url and had my site hosted elsewhere because I did not want a .mac in my url. I could not get it sorted out through .Mac as of 9 months or so ago.

ert3 - yours works well if it hosted by Apple - no hint of .Mac when going to your site.

ert3 - what about your email address - can it be ert3@vodkadiaries.com or will it be some type of _________@mac.com?

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I don't think his site is hosted through .Mac... for one, his site has forums, and as far as I know, .Mac doesn't allow server-side programs (PHP, CGI and so forth).

11. candyman thread starter macrumors regular

That's why I asked about MobileMe as I remember going through this issue with .Mac which was why I never signed up for an account with them. Now having read what I have on the MobileMe pages and getting some replies here, I see I will be able to do what I wanted to back then.

12. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The answer is no - MobileMe does NOT support server-side scripting.

13. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

14. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Early July. dotmac does basically the same thing though.

15. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, his forums are on http://talk.vodkadiaries.com and appear to be hosted elsewhere.

>host www.vodkadiaries.com
    www.vodkadiaries.com is an alias for web.mac.com.
    web.mac.com is an alias for homepage.mac.com.
    homepage.mac.com has address 17.250.248.34

>host talk.vodkadiaries.com
    talk.vodkadiaries.com has address 74.208.58.250
    talk.vodkadiaries.com mail is handled by 10 mx00.1and1.com.

16. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

true I use outside hosting for the forums as I needed php support so they would work.

Like anyone uses them anyway lol

17. candyman thread starter macrumors regular

My site is more or less a portfolio, no forums or submit/purchase forms of any kind. Just photos, audio and video with a bunch of links. I just want to know that if I cancel my subscription to iPower Web as my website host that I can use my currently existing domain name and upload all my html and media files to my MobileMe account and use the server space there instead as my host.

So rather than having all my files and email stored through iPower, I can still use my personal website email through MobileMe and when someone types in my website address or sends me an email, it looks and works just the same as it does now with iPower Web.

18. dctocali macrumors newbie

domain name

I completely understand what you are trying to ask. I have the same question.
    I have a domain like blahness.com with an email address cool@blahness.com and am lookign for a new host. I thought mobileme looked cool because of all the syncing, but if I would have to change my webpage to blahness.me.com then I do not want to pay for it. Did you by chance figure out if it is possible to host your webpage through mobile me?
    I know you said you looked at some webpages and figured it out, but can you please give me some insight.

thanks

19. askthedust macrumors regular

askthedust

have same question am rephrasing

Will me.com allow you to upload a site created outside of iweb. if so once loaded and navigating through the pages can you set it so that pages display as www.website.com/index etc vs website.me.com/index something to do with creating a cname record?

20. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, it allows that. With homepage being depreciated (or something, who knows what is going on) you have to use the web folder in your idisk. I haven't played with it but I'm pretty sure you just stick everything in the sites folder inside your web folder inside your idisk and it will show up at web.me.com/username/whateveryouputthere.html

Yeah, not as easy as dotmac, unfortunately. And the domain name will work as you describe, type it in and they will never see the me.com domain name.

Mobileme still doesn't support server side scripting so no php or the like.

21. dilbert4life macrumors regular

dilbert4life

So.......

I registered my site, www.mactimize.com, with godaddy, and was wondering exactly how to set it up with MobileMe as the host. I have the CNAME set, is that all i need to do? Do I actually have to have the site hosted somewhere else and fully functional, then transfer it over to MobileMe?

Confused, but loving it. Any help would be appreciated.:apple:

22. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

You have to log into the mobileme web site and use the account settings tool (the right-most icon where you click mail, calendar, etc). You have to setup the personal domain there so Apple's servers create the virtual host. The virtual host is how the server knows to send anything from "mactimize.com" to your account's web directory.

23. dilbert4life macrumors regular

dilbert4life

Ok, I did that the same day I set up the CNAME, and that was over a week ago. Still nothing. Instead of redirecting to my site on mobileme, www.mactimize.com just shows that is being parked for free by godaddy. Not sure where to go from here.

Thanks though.:apple:

24. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

I used to use Bigstep.com to host my web site but Register.com is the company with whom I first registered my domain name. When I cancelled my account with Bigstep I had the same problem in that typing in my URL would take me to a page that said something like "under construction". I had to log into Register.com and changed the Domain Name Settings (DNS) from Bigstep back to Register.com.
    Hope this helps.

25. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

Something's not right with the DNS then. If it's parked at GoDaddy, then that is where DNS is sending you. This is a problem with your GoDaddy config, not Apple/MobileMe.

Do you have the CNAME set to web.me.com?