MobileMe

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OriolesMagic, Jun 13, 2009.

1. OriolesMagic macrumors member

Ok,

So I assume that some posters here use MobileMe. My question, is it worth it? If you chose not to use it, what were your reasons? What do you use instead?

Thanks

2. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

I have had it since it was .Mac and I love it. The thing about MobileMe is that apple always good ideas they put in place and the good thing about that is you don't have to worry about paying for an updated version. The push email is quick and online Mobile Me is amazing! I would invest in purchasing it!

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I have no use for it.

Yahoo! works great for push email and plugging into my laptop when I get home and sit down for a beer keeps my phone up to date just as well as MobileMe would.

I'm not sure if there's anything I don't know about but I really don't think it's worth it unless you're using your phone for business.

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I don't have it, but I plan on getting it once I receive my iPhone. It's a must-have if you have an iPhone and one or more Macs (or PCs). MobileMe will keep your contacts, calendars, and emails in sync at all times.

If you add a contact on your iPhone, it will automatically be added to all your other computers and on MobileMe's website.

5. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

thats also a good reason to have it!

6. BLACK MAC macrumors 6502

I have it and its very useful. Some could argue if the price is worth it, so it's all up to you. Do a trail version and see what your needs are.

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I agree about doing a trial. You can take the 60-day trial and see if you like it. If not, cancel it and find something that better suites your needs.

8. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Some might find a 30-day trial even more helpful ... ;)

Seriously though, I love MobileMe. It has its shortcomings (no custom reply-to address for mail, no shared calendar support) but the other stuff is great. And now that the iPhone supports CalDAV, the lack of shared calendars has a very easy (and free!) workaround in Google Calendars. So, yeah - MMe is good stuff. I don't regret purchasing my Family Pack last year and I'll gladly renew it soon.

9. OriolesMagic thread starter macrumors member

Well, thanks for the responses guys.

I just bought an account on ebay. I didnt need the 20gb of space anyway, so I think 33 bucks is a much better deal. It will definitely be worth it once I get the iPhone Friday.

10. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

That's easily resolved. I purchased two one year retail packages off ebay. The buy-it-now price was close to half of what Apple charges and I added the bing.com (formerly live.com) ebay discount on top of that and ended up getting two years for about 70% of what Apple wants for one year. Now I have a subscription out until January 2011.

I really like the syncing with the iPhones, the MacBook Pro and the Hackintosh netbook. I also get a lot of use out of the online storage, galleries and the web server/Personal Domain space. For two years of service for $68 total it was well worth it. I use it every day.

11. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

I have 3 Macs and an iPhone and I can sync my contacts, email, and bookmarks across all 4 easily and instantly. That alone is worth it for me. There is nothing like getting a new iPhone or Mac at the store or delivered and being able to sign in on the spot and have your contacts and info appear instantly.

12. davidlw macrumors 6502a

I have it to keep my 3 macs and iphone in sync. I have 1100 customers to keep up with and Mobile Me is awesome for that reason.

13. abarna21 macrumors regular

I have a iMac, a MacBook and 2 iPhones. I needed al my calendars notes and email on all of them at once and if my wife makes a new/modify calendar entry to do so for all the devices at once.
    So yes, I will keep and renew the .me account

14. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

My wife and I use Windows with Outlook and iPhones. MobileMe works great for us. We used Yahoo (email only) prior to MobileMe and it worked pretty well expect that if you did not pay $25 per year you get advertising. With MobileMe there is no Advertising and you get a lot more.

15. fratboy macrumors regular

I love it.. if you have to restore your iphone or take it back and replace it you dont have to spend an hour or more re putting in EVERYONES information and email and blah blah..

all you have to do is add your mobile me account and all your contacts are instantly on your iphone..

totally worth it

16. abarna21 macrumors regular

I second that

17. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I would like to second that as well. I was on a business trip and my fairly new iPhone 3G failed and I went into a Apple Store got a new iPhone and then setup my MobileMe Account and within Minutes I was back to normal. However, I did have to wait to get home to get my pictures and music reloaded. Be nice if MobileMe would handle that stuff as well. IE. Everything on my iPhone.

18. OriolesMagic thread starter macrumors member

So, Ive got a question

I will be forwarding all of my email sent to my college email address to my new me.com address. I would rather not give out my me.com address.

When I respond to an email using my iPhone, can I have it set up to send as my school address? Or, does it have to send as the me.com address? I know gmail and other services allow you to change it.

19. medicrx macrumors newbie

Doesn't the iphone sync to Outlook for contacts? I mean, I know its not instant, but if you ever had to replace your iphone it wold just be a simple matter of plugging it in to your computer and syncing right? I am confused. I don't have an iphone yet, but am considering it. I thought the sync to outlook was important to me and was a big factor in my decision to get an iphone, but if it can't...

20. fratboy macrumors regular

i dont have a PC wouldnt know

21. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I assume you mean via iTunes. If so, then yes. With MobileMe everything is over the air. No need for iTunes Sync for Mail, Contacts and Calendar. When I was on my business trip I did not have my computer that I normal sync my music and pictures with (iTunes).

On a side note, now with the iPhone I use my laptop much less when traveling. I can do pretty much all of my important email via the iPhone. Not as easy as with my laptop but much more convenient when on the road.

22. OriolesMagic thread starter macrumors member

Anyone?

23. abarna21 macrumors regular

Yes, you can. You can set it up in me.com to send your mails and show any email address. There is also the option to use an alias instead of your address.
    Hope this helps. :D

24. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

In 3.0 you can do that but you will have to have your college email address set up on the phone too.

25. OriolesMagic thread starter macrumors member

So, by setting it up on me.com, it will work with the iPhone too?

Would I have to set it up to receive and send mail? Or could I just set it up to send?