MobileNotifier?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by theturtle, Apr 4, 2011.

1. theturtle macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

Is anyone else using this awesome hack?

Just curious on two things, what exactly does the antique lock screen and auto later mean?

2. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I used it for a while, but I got too annoyed with lack of lock screen alerts and the app playing the tri-tone noise no matter which alert came in.

I read a tweet today saying beta 4 was coming soon and should fix all those problems. When it does, I'll give it another try.

The current beta makes it even more complicated to see notifications. When I get a text, I had to unlock the phone and either double click on the messages app or notifications. Beta 4 is supposed to have quick reply build right in.

3. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

LOVE IT. LOVE IT. LOVE LOVE LOVE.
    Don't know about the antique lock screen. Auto later means when a notification pops up, the mod automatically selects the "Later" option instead of the "Open" option. This way you can view these notifications (no pun intended)...Later, on your multitasking bar.

4. LMD75 macrumors 6502

This tweak has huge potential and I am following it with great interest. I installed it a while ago and then uninstalled due to:

- BiteSMS compatibility: When receiving SMS, click on Open and it opens up default SMS app instead of BiteSMS, plus you needed to set BiteSMS to display the Apple popup.

- Does not work with Skype notifications.

- Does not work with email notifications.

(Installing Mail Enhancer and setting popups will get around this though)

However I am looking forward to Beta 4 as I believe he has addressed the BiteSMS issue together with many improvements.

5. The Tos macrumors 6502a

Has anyone heard any news on this tweak recently? Would love to use it if it could play nice with Bitesms.

6. LMD75 macrumors 6502

No new news as yet :( I have his repo saved and check daily for beta 4

7. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I'm waiting for beta 4. I want the current system of pop up notifications on the lock screen to be left alone. I like reading texts, fb, twitter, etc without having to open my phone. With beta 3, I'd get "So-and-so text" and fb and twitter wouldn't show up at all.

8. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

from what th dev posts to twitter it seems to be coming long well. He's still testing it though so we'll see, he posted earlier about finials so I'm guessing until those are done, he'll be busy so i guess i'll be patient :) hated finials!!

9. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I've been running Lockinfo + Notified (with notification grip) for the past 6 months or so and nothing tops it. I'm glad there's interest in working on iOS notifications but I would bet Apple's revamped notification system for iOS 5 will be out before this gets out of beta =\

10. Missjenna macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

I've been using this for about a week now and I really like it. Sure, it could use some features, but thats what I have open notifier for.

11. jimmy83 macrumors 65816

12. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I used beta 3 a while ago, and I really liked it except locksreen notifications were missing. I also have grown used to the popup on my screen so I can quickly view a text message, and it would just play a sound and show a blank screen.

Does beta 4 add any time of workaround for that? Or does it still show nothing? Until there's a fix for that, I doubt I'll go back to using it..

13. QuarterSwede, May 26, 2011
    Last edited: May 26, 2011

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

beta 4 Mini Review

It shows a list of notifications (what app and a 1 line [37ish character] message) on the lock screen now.

[​IMG]

Personally, I would hate to go back to Apple's notifications with the system I'm using now: MobileNotifier b4 + OpenNotifier. The combination just looks like what Apple would do and doesn't get in the way of what I'm doing (*cough* Notified Pro + GriP *cough*). Instead of the notifications blocking the homescreen or app you're in it pushes the screen down one line just like the default pulsing green Call in Progress bar, blue Tethering bar or red Recording bar.

Comparison below:

[​IMG]

In app views:

[​IMG]

Interestingly, it doesn't seem to push some full screen apps down (like games). Instead, it covers 2 lines (82px on iP4) of the screen.

[​IMG]

If you choose to ignore the notification by not responding it simply goes away after a few seconds (there is an option to make it persist). Alternatively, you can simply tap on it to reveal an iPad like dialog with two options: Later and Open. Like you would think, Open immediately switches to the appropriate app.

[​IMG]

If you choose Later you can access the pending list by invoking the multitasking bar (double click home button). While the screen is still pushed up, the pending list is overlaid on top of it (with a nice smoky transparency effect outlining it). From there you can either swipe to delete specific notifications or tap the "clear pending" text below the list.

[​IMG]

Preferences:

Dash on Switcher: Turns off the pending list above the multitasking bar
    Lockscreen View: Disables MobileNotifier on the lockscreen (respiring required)
    Auto-Later Alerts: Makes notifications stay on screen until you clear them
    Antique Lock Alerts: Apparently, this allows Apple style notifications on the lock screen. However, it doesn't do anything for me.

[​IMG]

The only real disappointment at this point is that MobileNotifier doesn't handle email notifications. However, for those who love BiteSMS know that they're currently incompatible. I like the stock SMS alert myself but would like the convenience a quick reply. Luckily, they just added experimental quick reply support to the internal build!

If you want to follow the progress Peter Hajas and team are making you can do so on their opensource commits page.

14. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Just one word. I'll just say one word.
    Godsend.

15. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

I'm using MobileNotifier right now and I love it! :D

16. LMD75, May 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2011

LMD75 macrumors 6502

QuarterSwede - Excellent write-up on its features.

I like this tweak too but thought the notification bar from Beta 3 was nicer. I am not using it just yet as it needs a little more work such as email notifications and the notifications on the lock screen need to open up the apps.

A great tweak which will get there in the end - looking forward to the next beta.

17. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

this is hands down the best notification app ever made. I used iconnotifier for a while however it slowed down my phone for some reason, much prefer this it is BRILLIANT.

18. jimmy83 macrumors 65816

Looks great, does it not work with bitesms at all?

19. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Ditto this question. I like the idea of the notification "pushing down" from the top rather than popping up in the middle of whatever I'm doing but only if it's compatible with BiteSMS. If I can't tap on that notification and reply from there, it's useless to me.

20. LMD75 macrumors 6502

No BiteSMS support as yet. Developer mentioned that he is going to implement his own quick reply system for next beta and that he was unable to interact with the BiteSMS API.

He explains this in the following video (see 09.25)..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbK_V7ZzFjU

21. nora47 macrumors regular

The developer behind mobilenotifier has ceased development on this and his other projects. He also mentions it will be hard for him to get contacted through twitter and what not. Rumor is he might have gotten hired by Apple to work on their revamped notification system.

22. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

If you read the post he mentions that he has his other project members still working on development. So it's not completely done

23. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

24. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I don't buy that Apple hired him or is using him as a consultant (pfft, yeah right). Especially after his tweet saying the community has a "lively imagination."

If a notification revamp is coming to iOS 5 I doubt they'd need Hajas' help.