***MobileProtect / Squaretrade Ins. Thread: Do You Have It? If Not Why? ***

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by falconman515, Jun 27, 2010.

1. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

I am looking at getting insurance for my phone! Lets talk about MobileProtect a bit and why its better than Squaretrade and Visa Versa. Would love to get some feedback on these insurance carriers.

And yes I have searched and read a few other threads but they didn't help to to much so I wanted to get a good thread together for those of us out there ready to look into this for our new iPhone4's.

Thanks for the help and advice guys! :eek:

2. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

3. JeffreyDJ macrumors regular

I did SquareTrade because its cheaper and covers what I need to have covered -- me being clumsy.

With that said, I never did anything on my other iPhones and they lived a good life. My 3G broke ~3 weeks before the 4 came out, so I didn't bother to get it fixed. I dropped and the top right part of the screen broke. This convinced me maybe insurance maybe wasn't such a bad idea :)

4. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I'm thinking of getting the mobile protect and according to their website it's 199 dollars to replace both the 16GB and 32 GB iPhone 4. If i knew this in advance i would have gotten the 32.

5. JeffreyDJ macrumors regular

How good is SafeWare? Are they a reputable company? Will they actually honor a claim?

The reason I ask, is because with SqT I have never had an issue on the one claim I made, and their feedback is consistently good with honoring the policy.

Other vendors not so much. Around ~10 years ago I worked for a company that offered after market warranties (in IT) and I can tell you that they deny as many claims as they possibly can. I'm not saying all are like that, but some are.

6. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

I don't have it because loss of my iPhone wouldn't be catastrophic for me. Even if my phone blew up tonight I could get a 3GS on craigslist for $250. And the iPhone 5 ship date is just 1 year away!!!

7. JeffreyDJ macrumors regular

Mobile protect seems like a ripoff at $12/M + a $199 deductible? After a year you'll have paid ~$350 for coverage. That is a lot of money to only also cover for theft over SqT.

If SafeWare is reputable, then they seem like a good deal as well.

8. Nate025 macrumors regular

I just started looking into them so i have no idea, but they have an A+ with the BBB and have been registered since '88.

Here's my claim estimate:

9. JeffreyDJ macrumors regular

My quote was $70. It really looks like a good deal for 1 year, especially the theft coverage (even though thats not a huge concern for me). I wish there were a few people who actually have used them before.

10. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Thanks for the replies so far!

Safeware is not an option for me cause I want as plan with monthly payments and not have to drop 100+ for one year of insurance. Yes the site on the main page says $69 for the year but there is a * and it says doesn't include state fees etc. and when I got the full quote it was $100 with 8 dollar state fee or something so its was a total of $108 for the year with no monthly payment option just one full lump sum.

Squaretrade seems great since its 2 years and it has the monthly payment option and with a coupon code that hear comes all the time it brings the monthly down between $4-5 dollars. the only thing that it doesn't do is cover theft / lost iPhone. They seem to get great reviews and has been a reputable company for many years.

Mobileprotect seems to cost more of course per month but there in turn covers the loss or theft of your phone! This is big for some people and though not huge for me a real coverage to have. Though it seems to get a new 32gb iPhone4 under this policy I have to pay $199 where as S.T. is $50 I think.

This is my initial view on these so please chime in with your thoughts so we can have thread to make the correct insurance choice for our new investments. :D

11. JeffreyDJ macrumors regular

I think MobileProtect is a ripoff.

Because the deductible is $199, your better off putting $12 in a savings account every month ALONG with $200 ... and then pull it out if it's broken or lost. In two years, assuming you don't need to use it, it's ~$440 + interest that you can use for a new phone and have enough for an upfront warranty, plus a few accessories.

12. Makaveli6103 macrumors 6502

I would go with SquareTrade..I did. 2 years only cost me $80 with the promo code slickiphone4

13. Jemi9OD macrumors regular

Jemi9OD

One thing to consider is that the SLICKPHONE4 coupon code for SquareTrade is no longer valid - so it'll cost $99 instead of $80, if that matters to you.

14. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

I heard they do these codes all the time and sometimes up to 40% all depending on the promo. so i'm sure this week or next week will yield a new promo code for a discount again.

But even if so is Squaretrade really the one to go with? Its weird to think they will try and FIX my phone... they are not iPhone experts and I'de to think of anyone other than apple working and tearing apart my new iPhone4 when they really dont what they are doing. So since they dont replace the phone (unless completely unfixable) how great of a policy is this... they dont even cover loss or theft... An insurance plan should ALWAYS cover loss or theft or the warrantied product I think. It would be great to save 6 bucks but how worth it would it be If I spend 6 a month for a year then lose my phone.... THEN WHAT?

Still stuck on what the heck to do here.

15. iphoneguy123 macrumors regular

+ 1. You would have to be out of your mind to buy MobileProtect.

16. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

$350 is alot better than $700 I would think! Plus they cover loss and lets face it we have all lost something along the lines and most its been there phone. I have never lost mine but I know many who have and wish they would have had something to cover a lost phone... especially a 700 dollar one.

Still not saying thats the best route cause ST is alot cheaper with pretty much the same coverage with a lower monthly and lower deductible... but still no loss or theft coverage.

Its a hard decision guys. If I do ST and lose my phone I will kick myself in the ass. :rolleyes:

17. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

That's all good and all... but no warranty coverage? I guess you can't have EVERYTHING and a cheap price. LOL.

18. JeffreyDJ macrumors regular

You said you don't have the $100 to pay up front for the SafeWare contract; That is a fraction of the MobileProtect, but if you buy Mobile Protect you'll need to shell out $199. Seems to me if you're that worried about Theft/Loss your only real choice is SafeWare -- even if you have to pay upfront.

If you loss your phone even just 3 months from now then MobileProtect would be $236. SafeWare would be $150.

Every month afterward that total is going up by $12...

19. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

You do make a good point! And I think with Safeware your policy doesnt have to start within 30 days of purchase... it can made at anytime (correct me I'm wrong).

Once again that is a good point. :eek:

20. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Are you talking about safeware? I saw that on there comparison that the other had Yes under warranty coverage and safeware has no under warranty coverage!

What exactly does this mean?

21. JeffreyDJ macrumors regular

That means they'll cover if it breaks because you're clumsy, but not if it fails on it's own -- like a battery failure.

MobileProtect is the only one that seems to do everything. It's just so darn expensive!

22. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

OKKK... well that rules them out! How is that considered coverage? If you mess it up and break it cool we'll give you another but if the battery fails or the phone did it on its own... well Sorry? ... REALLY?

Ok then I'm now back to Squaretrade and Mobileprotect. So this is the meat of it then:

Mobileprotect - Cost twice as month a month and you pay about 150 dollars more in deductible when needing replaced. BUT they cover Loss or theft which may be worth the extra 6 a month possibly.

Squaretrade - They have half the price of a monthly payment with the same coverage (CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG ON SAYING THE SAME COVERAGE MINUS THE LOSS COVERAGE OF COURSE) as Mobileprotect but only 50 dollars deductible when needing replaced instead of 199 dollars.

ALSO... Squaretrade "Tries to fix your phone first" It seems that with Mobileprotect if you lose your phone well of course they just send you a new one and you pay the deductible and if its damaged they dont try and fix it... they send you a new one (you pay deductible of course) and then you send back the damaged phone. Am I wrong on this or is that correct?

And i see that Mobile protect gives you 2 replacements in the one year period while ST only gives 1 replacement in the 2 year. And it shows ST has a 30 day claims waiting period and MP does not.

23. JeffreyDJ macrumors regular

I'll just say that I went with SqT because MP didn't make any sense to me at all.

24. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

This is why I do SquareTrade and add a plan on my home owners insurance. SquareTrade for any claims on breakage and warranty, but my home owners insurance (or renters) for theft, etc. Home owners insurance plan is $25 a year ($2 a month basically), and the same $50 deductible.

25. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

where in the world are you getting HO Ins. / Renter Ins. for $25 a year??? Mine is $23 a month for renters through progressive with a few hundred Deductible.