Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
All everyone does it state opinions, therefore I will state mine. See how that works?
Yeah, I didn't say not to have or share your opinion. What people are doing is trying to argue on an opinion, which can't be done. Just turns into nonsense, as you see with these threads.

S8 is a better looking device than the new iPhone.

In my opinion, the s8 is a better looking device than the new iPhone.

Can you see the difference in those 2 sentences?
[doublepost=1503076389][/doublepost]
Actually my point was never about it being difficult for devs to adjust for the screen size, it was that I don't see a point for Apple to keep changing it up. And that if they do change it up, it makes it hard for the devs.

I'm also not assuming that I'm the target audience for every new product. I have no interest in the iPhone SE or the Homepod, but I've never posted or commented on either of those products.

I'm just trying to look at this from a design/manufacturing point of view. Because in my opinion, to manufacture a screen like the one shown in the mockups would very difficult. So I'd want to make sure that the consumer is making a significant gain in order to go through that process.

Sorry if you don't like or understand my opinion. I was just sharing, if you don't like it, there are numerous other posts you can read instead.
So your worried about to many options for different consumers? I'm just trying to understand why you think more display size choices are bad. Fragmented was the word you actually used, and I don't think we have to really worry about fragementation like the android camp does. Our software is developed by the same company who develops the hardware. It's possible I just don't understand what you are calling fragmentation.

I only talked about development because you brought it up. I'm sorry if I came off as a jerk or something. I was trying to write back while working and sometimes I go off on a tangent when I get sidetracked or try to come back to a comment.

Last edited:

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
So your worried about to many options for different consumers? I'm just trying to understand why you think more display size choices are bad. Fragmented was the word you actually used, and I don't think we have to really worry about fragementation like the android camp does. Our software is developed by the same company who develops the hardware. It's possible I just don't understand what you are calling fragmentation.

I only talked about development because you brought it up. I'm sorry if I came off as a jerk or something. I was trying to write back while working and sometimes I go off on a tangent when I get sidetracked or try to come back to a comment.

As I mentioned previously, I'm looking at this from a design, manufacture and production point of view. The design of the phone is limited to what a consumer can comfortably hold in their hand. There is a minimum and a maximum size, which you can quantify through research. Right now, Apple offers the 4", 4.7" and 5.5" screen sizes. Sure, adding one more isn't a big deal, but at what point do you provide enough options to satisfy everyone? And how many screen sizes is it worth producing before efficiency takes a hit?

Then from manufacture and production perspectives, say the iPhone 8 looks like the numerous mockups that have shown up on this site. I'll go out on a limb and say the hurdles that need to be overcome due to the screen notches will be insane. Not impossible, but for what quantifiable benefit to the end user that is not already there? If the answer is "screen space" then go buy the 5.5" iPhone. If the answer is "we can get the 5.5" screen into a smaller form factor". Then that's something else.

Lets also not forget that the difference in price between a 7 and 7+ is $120. So if they plan to slide the iPhone 8 in the middle, that's going to make for a pretty crowded pricing scheme.

BTW - I don't really care what happens and what Apple does with its billions, just simply tying to spur conversation about this decisions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.