Mod my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TimJim, Jan 17, 2008.

1. TimJim macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking of putting in a film to modify the color the Apple logo on the front looks like. Im getting it from this site .

What color should I do?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Which one would look good with my MBP?

2. ClassicMac247 macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

Go with the old school one or the red one.:cool:

3. mashinhead macrumors 68020

great minds think alike. I just ordered one yesterday, though i'm scared to open it up when it arrives. i ordered black. I know iknow the light won't shine throught well. I don't mind cos i never see that. I want it to match my new imac. I love the black apple against the aluminum on it. I think they should incorporate this in the next mbp's and lose the glowing apple. It's gotten old to me

4. TimJim thread starter macrumors 6502a

I made up my mind just a couple minutes ago. I got a 3 pack, ordered the Original Rainbow, Red, and Green.

Im gonna cut the green small and the red bigger, then make the top of my 'Apple' green and the 'Apple' itself red.

Then if i get board i can switch it to the rainbow.

Attached Files:

5. jcs1088 macrumors regular

i did this a couple months ago. it'a a bitch to put the plastic paneling back on. i was only able to get 2/3's of it back on and the rest i used double sided duct tape, which works perfectly. i did this on a macbook.

6. mashinhead macrumors 68020

which plastic paneling are you refering to? the dark grey bezel, or the front bezel around the screen? how was it prying it off? is there a video tutorial on this?

7. TimJim thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was looking for a video tutorial as well but only found one for an iBook. There's only a picture guide for MB/MBP's

8. jcs1088 macrumors regular

the front paneling around the screen. it's easy to take off, you pull from the inside. what holds the front panel to the screen is this little grey plastic prongs, for a lack of a better term, that are very, very small. what i ended up doing was taking the grey prongs off one by one and puting them in there little slots on the screen. then just line up the front panel and pushed it back on. i was abe to most of it to work except for one side. what i suggest is buying double sided tape and put little strips one the back of the panel and taking off the grey prongs together so that incase you miss some you'll have the tape as a back up.

9. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Cool mod idea! There should be an external way to do this. I have no desire to take apart my screen.

10. jcs1088 macrumors regular

my mistake

just took a closer look at the instructions on icolours website and when i took the front panel off the little grey prongs were not suppose to come off with the panel, i guess i wasn't careful enough. but just in case you find yourself in the same situation you know what to do.

11. matperk macrumors 6502

I did this with my MBP last week. It's not very difficult to do, and looks awesome. Well worth it.

12. Glax69 macrumors member

For the MBP---you say its pretty easy?

, did you use the instructions on the icolours site? or is there a link to more detailed instructions..somewhere..

13. mashinhead macrumors 68020

pics?

14. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

that is what i did to my g4 ibook

[​IMG]

oh yeah, be careful, i think doing that voids your warrenty... or is it only if you break something while taking it apart?

15. Wireless Buddy macrumors regular

On a MPB, I would have done either red or light blue, but your idea is even better (red apple with green stem)

I hate the rainbow Apple one though. It would make me feel like I'm using an ancient computer, plus people who didn't know any better would think I'm gay.

16. matperk macrumors 6502

I snapped a few quick...

also realized the ol' bird needs a cleaning.

Attached Files:

17. mashinhead macrumors 68020

i noticed there is a plastic cover on the apple, is that frosted? does that mute the color of the film?

18. matperk macrumors 6502

um i actually didn't take a note of it when i took the back off, but I think the exterior plastic is clear, however there is an opaque cover over the current apple and you slide the film in between that cover and the exterior plastic.

Visual/Install Instructions Here

19. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Dude, just cut out the shape in cellophane and overlay it

20. Matiek macrumors member

Instead of paying the $5 plus shipping you should go to a photography/lighting store and buy a colored gel that you like.

21. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

The Sky Blue would look beautiful on my Macbook Pro. Not sure I want to go through with this considering the notebook is only five months old.

22. Glax69 macrumors member

hmmm..I'm going to do it....I'll post pics when I'm done---

My MBP has passed its warranty coverage date, so if i have troubles (i recently did) i go to the apple store, pay a flate rate, and get it shipped off and fixed.....

My question is, will they not touch it period if they see my colored apple, Or still take it in for service sense i'm paying them a flat fee?

23. Domofloge macrumors regular

Domofloge

This is my first time seeing this! Now I want to customize my Apple on my Macbook. I personally like the rainbow Apple b/c its reminds me of the older macs. Old school! :cool:

24. TimJim thread starter macrumors 6502a

My iCoulor filter stuff arrived, but im having a really hard time unscrewing the screws. Whats the trick to this?

25. matperk macrumors 6502

The only trick is patience and the thinnest screwdriver you can find. You just have to work at it and keep turning a little at a time. I still have one of the display screws that i can't get completely back in....:rolleyes: