Modern Co-op FPS for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by nightfly13, Aug 4, 2009.

1. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

I'm looking for a fun co-op shooter and prefer to not have to deal with boot camp. I have a couple machines that'll run any modern game (will struggle with crisis but otherwise...) and a couple friends who are interested to play, but intimidated to play with me because I have lots of FPS experience and they do not... so I figured playing in co-op mode would be more fun for them and maybe more fun all around.

A co-op campaign could be fun, but the key I'd like is a customizable multiplayer co-op mode: my biggest disappointment with COD4 was that in mulitplayer there was no AI option - we had to be human vs human.

2. MasConejos macrumors regular

MasConejos

I like Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and QuakeWars: Enemy Territory myself.

Wolfenstein is free, has mac, windows, and linux clients.
    Quakewars costs money, but also has clients for all.
    Quakewars also has bots if desired to flesh out the teams

3. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Thanks for the thoughts. Does QuakeWars do well with only LAN use? Broadband isn't good enough (I'm in India) for purely Online gaming.

4. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Looked into QuakeWars. The trouble I see is that it doesn't play nicely with the new GeForce 9400m (shared memory, integrated) chipset in one of the 3 computers I'm hoping to network together. The other two Macs have good dedicated cards, but there's also a current-gen White MacBook that I'd like to have play, as well.

Think I need to look at Windows/Bootcamp? Anything that works with VMware? All 3 systems have 4GB or more memory so a virtual machine should be very doable...

5. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Hmm just to clarify, what I want is to have a FPS that I can play with my friends over LAN, fight AI badguys, and needs to work with 9400m graphics, and I would prefer to not have to mess with bootcamp installations. VMware or Parallels or Crossover would all be fine.

Any game suggestions?

6. MasConejos macrumors regular

MasConejos

Wolfenstein: enemy territory, but I think we are discuassing that in another thread.

Other games off the top of my head: I think unreal tournament might work if you like deathmatch (I dont), although possibly one of the older editions depending in graphics requirements.

Tribes is good and free, although a bit dated. (windows, but should run in virtual machine. Check crossover for compatability on their website). I recommend applying one of the mod packs for extra weapons and base defenses

I've never played it, but you might want to look into Serious Sam. It's also an older game, but it's a co-op fps where you fight massive amounts of bad guys.

7. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Just to update and still bump in hopes someone has a dream OS X solution, I'm leaning toward COD5 via bootcamp. Campaign Co-op among all 3 of us should be fun, and multiplayer with bots (it has this, right?) should also give us plenty of re-playability.

8. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Sorry for bumping, but no, as far as I know COD5 does not have bots. Ghost Recon is pretty fun for co-op, and is on the Mac. The is a Rainbow Six game on the Mac that looks good as well.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

What about one of the Unreal Tournament (2004 or later)? However as far as coop the best you can do is join the same team and for a challenge go fight bots on "incredibily hard mode", where the bots can make head shots from a mile away. ;) They have some nice multi-player game varients as compared to your average shooter.

10. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Are there native UT games for Mac? What's the newest?

Still appreciative of the input, guys.

11. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

UT 2004. There's a Mac demo you could try out.

12. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

How about

Doom
    Marathon 2 (AlephOne is the opensource version)
    UT2003 or 2004
    Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

For reinforcement, UT is an outstanding shooter with outstanding game varients. Look at UnrealTournament.com for game varient descriptions. Look at "Game Modes".

Take a look at UT3 which is newer than UT2004. However UT2004 is an outstanding version of the UT series and just as playable today if you can find servers, which I would not be surprised if you can find them, it's such a good game.

I may have misled you on my previous post. If you find a server or if you host a server online (no special requirements, just open the game to the net), you can go fight other teams of real players. My impression is that if you host the game yourself, you'll have better control of who ends up on which team which for coop would be important. :) From my experience, when your team is at your house, you have the best control, because when you start a map, all the local players seem to join first.

14. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

How many more years do we have to wait for the Mac OS X native version of UT3? I gave up on it a while ago. Such a disappointment...

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm so sorry. Somehow I got it in my head I played UT3 on the Mac when really I played it on the PC. UT2004 would be the native Mac one to pick then. Here is what MacSoft had to say about UT3 in 2007. :(