Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
I don't care... If it works well I'll buy it.

Besides, who wants a white game controller? The white Wii controllers looked pretty dingy after a couple of months use. Sure, they can can cleaned but who has time for that? ;-)

i believe it comes in other colors also. plus white for gaming portables, to me, is a bit better, considering they show much less fingerprints and smudges than piano black. i've had both a black PSP and a white ps vita. never had issues with discoloration on the white.. i guess it depends on your palms' acidity.

Does it though?

yes. considering phonejoy's kickstarter started a long while ago, i wouldn't be surprised that they were "inspired" by phonejoy's design. it's just that power a moga has more $$ and resources to get theirs out quicker. i'll root for the startup indie company in this case.

I just ordered the Moga Pro for my Note 3, having the controls either side of the phone just looks ungainly to me, as this looks so similar to an Xbox 360 Controller I'll be right at home :D

i had both the moga pocket and pro.. i liked it, but had to return both as i couldn't get over how the angle is so limited.. it's a bit uncomfortable that you can't open up the clamp more, so you are forced to hold it at a bit awkward angle.. game for a bit and it becomes tiring. looks like their 2nd versions didn't address that issue.. considering they were taking inputs from their user base.. and i'm sure plenty of people had the same complaints.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Is there such a thing as a 'standard button set' for these controllers? For instance, an Xbox 360 controller has two analogue sticks, L1, L2, L3, R1, R2, R3 A, B, X, Y and the D-pad. Will all iOS controllers have different numbers/combinations of buttons?

Things would be so much simpler if they're standard.

itcomesinwaves

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2003
Is there such a thing as a 'standard button set' for these controllers? For instance, an Xbox 360 controller has two analogue sticks, L1, L2, L3, R1, R2, R3 A, B, X, Y and the D-pad. Will all iOS controllers have different numbers/combinations of buttons?

Things would be so much simpler if they're standard.

For the most part it seems like the button layout is almost exactly that of the xbox 360, except for the start/back buttons which seem to have been replaced with a single 'pause' button.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
It will very shortly if they don't get their acts together better than they have been. Nintendo will turn into Sega if they aren't careful.

I think Nintendo IS the next Sega....

WiiU has tanked, and the Wii sold at it's price point, but became expensive bookend/paper weight/dust fairy for the majority of owners who got bored with it after the novelty wore off.

They really have bad 3rd party support now too. (Almost non-existent.)

They would be better off publishing to other platforms, but I doubt they will do this any time soon. They will need one more console failure to get their heads out of the sand.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

WiiU has tanked, and the Wii sold at it's price point, but became expensive bookend/paper weight/dust fairy for the majority of owners who got bored with it after the novelty wore off.

They would be better off publishing to other platforms, but I doubt they will do this any time soon. They will need one more console failure to get their heads out of the sand.

Yeah, you might be right about “needing one more failure”, they still fancy themselves a hardware company (even with the dismal WiiU sales) but there’s a dwindling user base who will buy consoles just for one or two major in house titles.

Super Mario + Zelda + Mario Party + Mario Kart + 400M iOS devices = Profit :)

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Looking forward to these devices being shipped. They are long overdue, should have been out two/three years ago.

can't you just be happy? for once? Jesus everybody thinks they know best, despite not actually running a massively popular platform and thus not actually having to deal with the dilemmas of product prioritization. in your bubble everything should be done at once...

juanmanas

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
hmm.. looks like a copy of the phonejoy

http://www.phonejoy.com/

They look completely different...

----------

can't you just be happy? for once? Jesus everybody thinks they know best, despite not actually running a massively popular platform and thus not actually having to deal with the dilemmas of product prioritization. in your bubble everything should be done at once...

Some people live in permanent negativity. Normally underachievers tend to be patronisers

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
IMO, if these controllers show any sign of being widely accepted & lucrative, Apple will enter the market with their own controller and blow these 3rd parties out of the water.

That said, I'm not sure how many of these (& similar controllers) will sell. It seems to me we Apple users are far, far more likely to buy an Apple-branded accessory than any 3rd party option; partly due to Apple's design & build quality, and partly due to brand preference/trust.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
They look completely different...

look at my previous post...

phonejoy's had their kickstarter a year ago. they came up with that design.. just because the moga has slight angles different doesn't make it "completely different". the design and layout are exactly the same.

Newfiebill

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2011

Gees, relax will ya....

Harrycooke

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
London
Yeah, you might be right about “needing one more failure”, they still fancy themselves a hardware company (even with the dismal WiiU sales) but there’s a dwindling user base who will buy consoles just for one or two major in house titles.

Super Mario + Zelda + Mario Party + Mario Kart + Pokèmon + 400M iOS devices = Profit :)

Fixed it :)

Last edited:

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
look at my previous post...

phonejoy's had their kickstarter a year ago. they came up with that design.. just because the moga has slight angles different doesn't make it "completely different". the design and layout are exactly the same.

Well, it's pretty much the standard XBox/PS3 controller design regarding the buttons and (with exception of the on-the-top-design also shows in this thread) of course one half of it will always be placed on the left and the other half on the right of the iPhone (which is placed in the middle). I really don't think this can be considered as "stolen design". Should they build a triangle controller with only two buttons simply to be different?

Last edited:

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
Well, it's the standard XBox/PS3 controller design regarding the buttons and (with exception of the on-the-top-design also shows in this thread) of course one half of it will always be placed on the left and the other half on the right of the iPhone (which is placed in the middle). I really don't think this can be considered as "stolen design". Should they build a triangle controller with only two buttons simply to be different?

no.. i meant how the back of it extends... read up or watch phonejoy's design of the extendable back, and you'll know what i mean.

jeez.. some of you guys see the word "copy" here.. even when it's not directly an apple product, and you guys get so defensive. i believe phonejoy came up with the original concept of the extendable phone controller.. unless someone here could show me a previous design like that before the phonejoy.. why shouldn't they get credit for it. apple gets defended for the rubberbanding effect.. such a petty thing, yet people here go mad in defending it and how it got copied...

all i was saying is that phonejoy has had this extendable design for over a year now, and since they are an indie startup.. don't have the same resources as power a moga to get theirs out the door as fast.. but they should still get recognition.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007

This isn't a question of being careful, this fight is done. No one is going to buy a portable gaming platform when the phone in their pocket is more powerful and now has a better controller attached to it. It will be the android devices and the iphones that win this war. Sony and Nintendo will have to drop their portable devices in two years. They won't be able to afford to do the R&D for a next generation version. Nintendo will at least be able to make software for the iPhone and make more money of it there than they would have on their hardware. So it isn't the end of them by any means.

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
Honestly this thing looks beautiful. I'm really hoping they increase the screen size next year and add some KILLER graphics.

itcomesinwaves

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2003
IMO, if these controllers show any sign of being widely accepted & lucrative, Apple will enter the market with their own controller and blow these 3rd parties out of the water..

I seriously doubt this. They will be happy to let third parties do the work while they collect $$$ from the MFi program.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
This isn't a question of being careful, this fight is done. No one is going to buy a portable gaming platform when the phone in their pocket is more powerful and now has a better controller attached to it. It will be the android devices and the iphones that win this war. Sony and Nintendo will have to drop their portable devices in two years. They won't be able to afford to do the R&D for a next generation version. Nintendo will at least be able to make software for the iPhone and make more money of it there than they would have on their hardware. So it isn't the end of them by any means.

So - in short - you actually haven't bothered googling for Nintendo 3DS sales figures.

Really - get a grip on mobile gaming and stop regurgitating that Jobs/Schiller-fed-BS of "Apple is the #1 mobile gaming platform!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.