Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

interstella

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
Suffolk, England
Late 2013 27" iMac. Mojave failed with a "cannot continue with installation" message. Couldn't get computer to reboot at all. I can't try recovery mode till after 11pm UK time as I have satellite internet and the download will use a week's worth of daytime data.

Rather stupidly, I decided to try option-cmd-P-R to reset all RAM. Now the Mac just continually gets as far as Apple logo and chime then reboots, Apple logo and chime, reboot, Apple logo and chime, reboot etc.

Any ideas much appreciated.

interstella

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
Suffolk, England
I've just attempted to install Mojave again using Internet Recovery Mode. Again I get a message saying "Mojave cannot be installed". Disk management error -69854. It won't go back to HS. Looks like Apple have left me with a useless expensive paperweight.

Five years of using Apple computers and barely a minute's trouble until tonight. I know first releases can have problems but reading through various forums it looks like Apple have really screwed up with this one. Definitely not happy!!

Last edited:

skofgar

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
I had a similar problem. The installation failed. I was able to reboot but my password was no longer accepted. Resetting my password didn't work either and since I was using FileVault I had to wipe my computer. It got so confused that the recovery partition went out the window as well and am currently trying to do the network recovery... but it has been quite bumpy... fortunately I have 2 backups.. so I hope I won't have any more issues.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
My upgrade from Beta 11 (almost GM) to release on a MacBook Pro 2018 failed, stalled on boot at the end of the progress bar. Reinstalled the beta and went to 10.14.1 beta 1. All fine.

interstella

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
Suffolk, England
Thanks for the replies. I seem to have a serious problem. After my second installation attempt failed I tried a restore from Time Machine. When I woke up this morning the Mac said "restore successful - restart needed". I restarted, got the chime, the logo then a no-entry sign.

That, it seems, is all I'm going to get. Awaiting a phone call from Apple support this morning. I suspect the install has trashed the fusion drive. Furthermore, I'm expecting Apple to want me to pay for it to be replaced!

interstella

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
Suffolk, England
Ok, I've got Mojave up and running. I had to install the OS from a USB drive. It took a long while (well over an hour) but, much to my relief, everything is working fine. Apple suggested installing Mountain Lion and going from there and I didn't really fancy that.

Now to try upgrading the MacBook Pro!

Reactions: upandown

ijameson

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2018
Australia
I get the same error.

I do have an external backup, and was able to easily reinstall Sierra.

Perhaps I should try the USB route.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.