Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

villicodelirant

Suspended
Aug 3, 2011
"I'm alright, Jack" - the attitude of today, EVEN WHEN it comes to one's family.

Sickening.

It's not a matter of "I'm alright, Jack".

It's a matter of "whatever happens between a couple in a relationship and/or two consentient adults in a bedroom is their own business".

Corollary: "don't meddle with it and nobody will hate you".

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
yea I would not spy on your parents as you could get in trouble potentially... and if you gve her the mb, don't you think it's hers? I mean she gave you clothes/food/toys and the like growing up and I am sure you thought they were yours lol

I wouldn't interfere to the extent you are suggesting but would rather just sit down with your parents and air your concerns and leave it at that. Let them take it from there.

BTW, Gloosywhite....your replies are hilarious in a not so flattering way of thinking:cool:

Last edited:

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
"I'm alright, Jack" - the attitude of today, EVEN WHEN it comes to one's family.

Sickening. Mind you, I doubt most of you would even notice that your family was falling apart, because you're too busy posting on forums. Crazy!
That made sense. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
"Warning" never works

First and foremost, you have no idea what, if anything, your dad knows. Maybe he is ok with everything.

But really the bottom line is that warning people about their choice in romantic partners fails 99% of the time the person is so in denial that they will say you don't know what you are talking about, or you don't know what you are talking about, or they know they shouldn't be doing x, but are going to do it anyway.

It sucks, but us homo sapiens aren't exactly a 100% rational bunch, esp. when it comes to selecting romantic partners.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
I guarantee you the situation is not as black/white good guy/bad guy as you're making it seem. When people seek emotional fulfillment outside of their marriage, it's almost always because they're not getting it from their husband or wife. So I'd be careful about casting your mom as the absolute villain and your father as the poor cuckold. It's more likely a little of both.

That said, I think you should stay out of it. Their personal relationship with each other really doesn't concern you. I know that's hard to digest, but it's true. Recording her conversations and trying to read her texts from backups is going way, way too far into the creepy realm. You're their son, not their friend or confidante.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I guarantee you the situation is not as black/white good guy/bad guy as you're making it seem. When people seek emotional fulfillment outside of their marriage, it's almost always because they're not getting it from their husband or wife. So I'd be careful about casting your mom as the absolute villain and your father as the poor cuckold. It's more likely a little of both.

The Queen doth protest truth of veracity in Spades.

All the more reason to simply talk to them without judgement about what's going on and offer any support you can. No doubt it's an emotionally charged situation that is quite difficult to bear. I really hope you have friends or other family around that you can share this burden with. :(

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Your fear would be being dragged into the court battle. This will end in a very ugly and expensive divorce. If you mom has any dignity she will walk away from the marriage and not demand much if anything.

Someone so little concerned about the vows she took when she got married (namely to remain faithful to the guy busting his hump to keep her in her lifestyle) is similarly not going to have much regard for dignity, hers or anyone else's.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
So glossywhite & wpotere where is your smart advice on what he should do? And spare us the vapor statements of "follow your heart", give us some concrete actions if you think we are all spineless cowards, otherwise you are calling the kettle black if you can't be more specific

How about you simply read my post first. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
How about you simply read my post first. :roll eyes:

We read your post. For someone who says he would do anything for his family, you sure are nasty about it and not too concerned with keeping it together. If I were your parent, I'd smack the crap out of you for sticking your nose where it doesn't belong.

Letting your parents handle their own problems is not ignoring your family.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
We read your post. For someone who says he would do anything for his family, you sure are nasty about it and not too concerned with keeping it together. If I were your parent, I'd smack the crap out of you for sticking your nose where it doesn't belong.

Letting your parents handle their own problems is not ignoring your family.

I'm nasty because of the rest of the posts. I have been in this position and I did confront the parent. They divorced and quit living a stupid lie that drug the family through dirt. Sometimes parents act like children and need to be treated as such. FYI, my dad tried slapping me once, it didn't go well for him.

My point is that this is now family business and it should be handled. What happens if the father finds out later comes unhinged taking someones life? By simply intervening before it goes to far he could derail a possibly toxic situation. I'm not saying they will stay together, but at least they can move on.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
No one's head is in the sand. People are telling this poster to mind his own business, which is what more people should do in life.

Pass the buck, let someone else deal with all the 'difficult stuff'. Selfish to the end, as are 95% of the people on this thread. Spineless and selfish.

No wonder the world is in such a mess, when noone has the balls to take a stand, and do what is right.

It's nothing less than I expect from the modern world: "I'm alright, Jack". Well that's okay, as long as you're fine and dandy, that's all that matters. Welcome to the modern world, where noone stands up for morality, because they've lost touch with the concept, and are too afraid to step in, and make a change.

Last edited by a moderator:

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Pass the buck, let someone else deal with all the 'difficult stuff'. Selfish to the end, as are 95% of the people on this thread. Spineless and selfish.

Not at all. Again, it's called minding one's own business.

No wonder the world is in such a mess, when noone has the balls to take a stand, and do what is right.

And what is one supposed to do in this case? Hmm? You still haven't said.

It's nothing less than I expect from the modern world: "I'm alright, Jack". Well that's okay, as long as you're fine and dandy, that's all that matters. Welcome to the modern world, where noone stands up for morality, because they've lost touch with the concept, and are too afraid to step in, and make a change.

Meh, idiots.

Idiots? Really? That's all you got? What change is the OP exactly supposed to make here?

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
To the OP, I'd like to extend an apology. Many of us here at MR try to be genuinely helpful in the community section. A large part of that is respecting that you, as the OP, sincerely came here looking for feedback. Please disregard the off topic argument and focus on those posts and posters who are trying to stay on topic and help you out in any way we can.

Yeah....it wasn't pretty. Sorry about that OP, hopefully some of the advice that was given will be helpful.:)

Looks like the thread will go back to being reasonable again....

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Alrighty then... Although I agreed with Glossy that he should intervene, I don't agree with the name calling and insults. There is no need for it. My opinion is that he should intervene (by speaking with his mother) but that is it, my opinion.

Glossy my friend, you are on your own at this point. :rolleyes:

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
The golden rule is never to give advice unless asked. It's your parents life, so let them deal with it. You have every right to voice your opinion on either of your parents behavior but that's about it and even there you may risk alienating one of them and if you want to have a relationship with both of them even after they split, so be careful how you get involved.

What a sad "golden rule". The times when you need the most advice normally happens to be the time when you less want it.

We are not talking about two strangers fighting here. It's the OP parents, and I believe he has the right and responsibility (even more so now that he is older) to try and make something to prevent them from divorcing.

Nonetheless, don't spy on them. That won't get you anywhere. Just talk directly to them and tell them what you think, and offer your help.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
What a sad "golden rule". The times when you need the most advice normally happens to be the time when you less want it.

We are not talking about two strangers fighting here. It's the OP parents, and I believe he has the right and responsibility (even more so now that he is older) to try and make something to prevent them from divorcing.

Nonetheless, don't spy on them. That won't get you anywhere. Just talk directly to them and tell them what you think, and offer your help.

Well said.... :cool:

stevenlangley1

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
I personally wouldn't get involved if I didn't know the whole story and I've found with parents, you rarely get that.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
I personally wouldn't get involved if I didn't know the whole story and I've found with parents, you rarely get that.

Very true.

And with the OP's age, the possibility that his Mother is entering menopause should not be discounted.

I have been witness so some strange behaviour, due to hormonal imbalance.

Perhaps a visit to her GP might not be amiss?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.