Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Photography accessory company Moment today announced the launch of its third-generation lenses, which are its first add-on lenses that are designed for Apple's modern iPhones. T-Series lenses are compatible with both Android smartphones and iPhones, and there are multiple lenses available.

This is the first time that Moment has come out with new iPhone lenses since 2017, which was back when the iPhone 7 came out. Priced between $120 and $150, here are the new lens options:
  • Anamorphic 1.33x ($150) - Designed to bring a cinematic look to video capture on iPhone. There are gold flare and blue flare options for the anamorphic flare look. Gold flare provides rich golden tones, while blue flare offers an early 1960s cinematic look. 1.33x works for photos and videos with less distortion.
  • Anamorphic 1.55x ($150) - Both of the Anamorphic lenses have a 20 percent wider aperture compared to the M-series lenses from Moment, along with a three-element design for better low-light performance. The 1.55x lens provides the most dramatic effect for video capture.
  • 58mm Telephoto ($150) - The 58mm telephoto lens offers 2x optical zoom, and it can be used with the built-in telephoto lens on Apple's Pro iPhones. There's also a 4x zoom option using the Moment app.
  • 18mm Wide ($130) - The 18mm Wide lens offers a wide-angle view similar to the Ultra Wide camera on the iPhone, but with less distortion. It can be paired with the Ultra Wide camera for more zoomed out shots.
  • 14mm Fisheye ($120) - The 14mm Fisheye is a super wide-angle lens that has a 200-degree field of view. It can use the full image sensor on the newer iPhones with no vignetting or dark corners. This is a fisheye lens, so there is some distortion.
  • 10x Macro ($120) - The Macro lens can take zoomed-in images of small objects from an inch away. It pairs with the Wide for improved texture and detail compared to what you can get with the iPhone's built-in macro feature.
Using the lenses requires a compatible Moment case. Moment is offering cases for the latest iPhone models, and also plans to support the iPhone 15 when it launches. Pre-orders are available with an iPhone 15 case, with the case set to ship out following the launch of new iPhones.

moment-lenses-1.jpg

Moment's T-Series lenses can be used with the iPhone 13 and later with a compatible Moment case. Moment is offering a trade-in program for M-Series lenses that will provide up to $50 per lens in store credit to put toward the new T-Series lenses.

moment-lenses-2.jpg

The T-Series lenses can be ordered from the Moment website starting today, with shipping to begin on September 7.

Article Link: Moment Launches New Third-Generation Camera Lenses for iPhone

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Phone lenses are dead to me.
  • Built-in telephoto and macro has killed my need for these use cases
  • My collection of Moment lenses became worthless when I got an iPhone 14
  • Compatibility with the Peak Design mounting system is far more important
It makes no sense to invest in lenses that can (again) be killed with one iPhone camera iteration.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Pretty weird that Moment updated their anamorphic lens to be compatible with iPhone 14's camera earlier this year and decides to update the anamorphic lens AGAIN. Couldn't they have waited for the T series?

I think I'm done with Moment for a while.

I guess you’re saying Moment should’ve waited a moment to update their Anamorphic lens because now you’re done with Moment for a moment.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
It makes no sense to invest in lenses that can (again) be killed with one iPhone camera iteration.
How is that when the examples make it clear you won't get those results that they show on the 14 Pro w/o these lenses?

allenvanhellen

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2015
The problem with Moment is the drop-in lens mounts for the cases. They're made of weak plastic. Just carrying the phone in your pocket with the lens attached will eventually break the mount, even if you never bump into anything. They did offer me half-priced replacements after I'd complained, but I just gave up and I'll use my stock lenses or my "real" camera instead. That's a shame because I really liked using ND filters for smoother video in daylight or the cool anamorphic lens.

allenvanhellen

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2015
I see your point, but the anamorphic lens was to me a million times better than the built-in "ultra wide", which uses a worse sensor and has lots of distortion and aberration. The problem with it is the plastic drop-in lens mounts for the Moment cases and lenses; they easily break, and though they're cheap, it's annoying to have days of shooting spoiled.

mattaaron

macrumors member
May 23, 2013
Question, never used an external camera lens on a phone, do you need to buy their ugly case to use this? Or can it attach to a non-cased iPhone?

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
The problem with Moment is the drop-in lens mounts for the cases. They're made of weak plastic. Just carrying the phone in your pocket with the lens attached will eventually break the mount, even if you never bump into anything. They did offer me half-priced replacements after I'd complained, but I just gave up and I'll use my stock lenses or my "real" camera instead. That's a shame because I really liked using ND filters for smoother video in daylight or the cool anamorphic lens.
Another critical usability flaw is dust and grime tend to build up on the iPhone’s lenses — for anyone wondering why the lights in your videos sometimes turn out streaky — and the mount/case protrude enough from the iPhone that it’s basically impossible to wipe clean without removing the case or maybe carrying a pack of q-tips. So getting great quality amateur video requires you to remove the case, wipe the iPhone camera module clean, put the case back on, THEN get the giant lens out of its carrying pouch.

Maybe not an imposition if you’re staging a photo shoot or taking tourist shots, but just not realistic in the middle of a concert or a kid’s baseball game.

Hareti

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
It’s a shame the article parrots the press release that makes it seem like these are a quality upgrade. If you have an iPhone 14 pro these are a necessity because of vignetting on the M-mount. But no mention of that on this or their site.

They’re offering a decent trade-up program too. But by not discussing the longevity problem it worries future customers. Something echoed in these comments.

Hareti

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
Question, never used an external camera lens on a phone, do you need to buy their ugly case to use this? Or can it attach to a non-cased iPhone?
You need an attachment point, a case is the best option. Moment have been popular enough that other companies have made compatible cases for the drop in insert.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.