Momentus XT firmware update help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TopHatPlus, Nov 30, 2010.

1. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

So i just bought a new 500 GB momentous XT HDD/SSD i am very happy with it. I have found it to be a very snappy drive and a much needed performance improvement. I noticed a lot of the spin down issues that i have been reading about for the last couple months so i figured i would run the firmware update and i have failed... I have tried so many different things but it just does not seem to be working. Does anyone have basic instructions on how this works? i tried downloading the .iso file and burned it to a disk but i have no idea whats going on, its all exe files and plain text files. Am i missing something? Thanks

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

This is slightly OT: are you sure your drive isn't already current?

I just bought one, too (a couple of weeks ago), and it already was up to date with version SD23. (The version is printed on the drive label - I've been too lazy to fire it up, yet.)

From my pre-purchase research, it seems like SD23 has been available for a while, so I would expect most drives (from major vendors like Amazon or Newegg) would be current from the factory.

Just thought it might save you some effort, if you don't need to worry about the installer. As for spin-down behavior, I don't have a good reference for normal operation - only reports that SD22 caused excessive cycles.

4. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

I think what I did when I had the drive was set a bootcamp partition up, and burn seagates ISO to a cd. Then when bootcamp came up it booted.

I dont have the drive anymore. Thank god.

5. TopHatPlus thread starter macrumors 6502

this may be i am not sure and i don't really wanna rip my MBP apart to see.

i used the .iso that was for non windows platforms so i thought haha i just found it confusing.

any one else have any links to instructions or tips?

6. tjb1 macrumors 68000

You can find it on the Seagate website, it requires booting into windows. Or you can boot into windows and check it there in device manager. I got mine in August and it had the latest firmware.

7. TopHatPlus thread starter macrumors 6502

i have spent so much time on that website it looks like a blob now >_< haha but i do not have windows on my computer so booting into windows is not an option >_<

8. liya1201 macrumors member

You should be able to see the firmware revision from System Profiler --> Serial ATA. I bought my XT one or two months ago and its firmware was SD23 already.

9. brickchard, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010

brickchard macrumors newbie

Here is a link for the firmware update.

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=215451&NewLang=en

Then read

For non-Windows systems with Intel compatible processors we also offer a bootable CD ISO image, which will create a bootable CD

Then after you download it pull up disk utility and drag and drop the image to the sidebar > right click and burn.

Forgot to add once cd is burnt reboot > press alt/option > select the cd > wait > select D to download appropriate files > follow the rest of the instructions

Hope this helped

10. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Forgot about that but I can almost guarantee you wont need the update...

11. TopHatPlus thread starter macrumors 6502

this is what i needed ty very much, i am up to date according to that.
    i did doanload that file file and i successfully burned it to a disk but it did not seem to do anything more then the mounted version did? but all is well liya answered it