Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
Lending money or any other valuable goods to family & friends can cost you both the money and your friends if proper agreements/contracts did not take place.

Over years i lost around $2500 cash to 3 people and an organ worth $500 that was borrowed by a friend and never got it back.
I also lost valuable books, Cds and other stuff because people are just careless and selfish so hard lesson learned but never never again.

Seriously people, if someone lent you money or an item , the least you can do is appreciate and return it on time without causing embarrassment and tensions.

How common is it? Did you lend anything to someone and never got it back or are you guilty of one? Honest answers please.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
As Willy the Bard wrote:
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

Translated: If you lend money, you'll lose both the money and the friend you lent the money to. If you borrow money, you become a spend thrift.

Edit: My neighbor asked to borrow a trash bag the other day. I looked at him incredulously and asked, "You're gonna give it back? I don't want it back."

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
My B.I.L borrowed a very rare book from 1920' i got from special place in Europe and he carelessly gave it to his manager despite a promise. We didn't talk for 8 months.

trillionaire

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Canada
Too many people have learned this lesson the hard way ... myself included. It stings even more when they become a totally different person afterward. It's like you never really knew them to begin with.

Reactions: Healer Flame

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
If I have a friend in genuine need I give them some money if it seems appropriate.

But lend? No I don’t need to do that.

I also don’t borrow from anyone (including credit cards). Not my style.

If the person has genuine reason
If I have a friend in genuine need I give them some money if it seems appropriate.

But lend? No I don’t need to do that.

I also don’t borrow from anyone (including credit cards). Not my style.

People usually very shy asking for money so they borrow instead give away. I don't mind giving people money as long as they have genuine problem but of course if the amount is in hundreds i expect they give it back when things get better for them.

Some are selfish, suddenly they are angels and a lot nicer until they get what they want and then they go hiding.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
Too many people have learned this lesson the hard way ... myself included. It stings even more when they become a totally different person afterward. It's like you never really knew them to begin with.

They put you in uncomfortable situation where you have to beg for your money back. Really piss you off. I know someone who owes many people over $30 000 in total but drives a $49 000 car and wears only designers clothes.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yeah, I'm always loaning friends my kidneys, liver, and spleen, and I'll be damned if I ever get them back on time if at all. :(

But, @AngerDanger, what enquiring minds want to know is simply this: Did you ever loan anyone your heart?

And, if so, was it returned, broken or otherwise?

Last edited:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
But, @AngerDanger, what enquiring minds want to know is simply this: Did you ever loan anyone your heart?

And, if so, was it returned, broken or otherwise?
C'mon, Scribe. Don't act like you don't know, and don't bring this up in the forums of all places!

Not after all we've been through—I thought what we had was…

It's listed on eBay. For parts only.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
If the person has genuine reason

People usually very shy asking for money so they borrow instead give away. I don't mind giving people money as long as they have genuine problem but of course if the amount is in hundreds i expect they give it back when things get better for them.

Some are selfish, suddenly they are angels and a lot nicer until they get what they want and then they go hiding.
I think we have different types of friends.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I don't lend out anything that is important to me that I intend to keep.

If I give it out, I don't expect it back. Whether that's money or anything else.

If it's something I do expect back, like letting a neighbor borrow a hose or a tool, it's not my best tool or only item and I don't expect it back in the condition I gave it in - because people don't treat my stuff like I treat it.

The only person I ever ask to borrow money from is my mother. My dad will say no, my sister can't or would charge high interest. My mother never expects it back. I don't ask from people I know would expect it back - because I'm never in the spot to pay it back.

If I borrow something from someone I treat it better than my own stuff. Because it's not mine and I have to give it back. And I don't want to have to explain why it's not in the condition they gave it to me in.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
If I give it out, I don't expect it back. Whether that's money or anything else.

I guess it depends how large it is and who the person is. Parents are excepted of course, happy to give my parents anything and everything they desire and never expected it back.

Reactions: Clockworkz

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I guess it depends how large it is and who the person is. Parents are excepted of course, happy to give my parents anything and everything they desire and never expected it back.
For me, it doesn't matter how large. I'm not in the spot to give out large sums. I'm not even in the spot to give out small sums.

If and when I am, the person needing it doesn't need the idea in the back of their mind that they need to pay it back. That's a stressor. And I don't need the stress of trying to recoup the loan.

We've loaned money out before and gotten it back, generally to my wife's side of the family. But that's only because they wanted to pay it back. I never asked and I didn't expect it to come back.

I just don't need the hassle of money between me and the other person. So, if I am giving money I do not expect it to be returned.

That said, I have been told I am tightfisted, so there's that.

Reactions: Healer Flame

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
Years ago my father (before he passed away) lent a digital short wave radio, a special printed dictionary in certain language and a book to some our relatives and never got it back.

I remember he was talking about it a lot but felt uncomfortable to ask for it.

A close relative asked me to borrow my brand new suite (Made in Germany ) for his brothers wedding so i couldn't say no. Of course he can afford a suite but he really liked the style and colour of it so i just told him to keep it.

I guess its normal and acceptable in some cultures and communities but not everywhere.
[doublepost=1564013053][/doublepost]I am always happy to help but sometimes its good to say no to avoid stress and tensions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.