Monitor choice for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by peejack, Jan 11, 2008.

1. peejack macrumors 6502a

Sorry ti start a new thread but im desperately looking for a monitor about 24"

I would love to get the apple display but it's going to be out of my price range and i doubt even if a new one comes out the price won't budge :(

I have had some problems as you may have read on my other post about crap picture quality with leopard.

The 2 I have hunted down are these.

Dell 24" Ultrasharp 2407WFP-HC

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=21763&source=PriceGrabber

or the

Samsung SM245B 24"
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130991

Which one of these will provide the most accurate sharp picture? Does anyone have either of these and using with leopard.

As far as I can see they both share pretty similar specs but the dell costs quite a bit more, im after advice of which will be the best buy and give me the most iMac like screening. I don't game I use my macpro for logic pro so i just want a nice clean screen.

Many thanks :)

2. BeyondMountains macrumors 6502

3. amik macrumors regular

that samsung is not their best 24, the 244t is their higher end 24" which I find quite satisfying (I have one at my office). I have used their b and bw series monitors and though they are decent, they don't touch the t series.

I have not used the dell so I can not make a comparison.

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

We have HP LP2465s at work and they are very nice.

There are a ton of reviews on all those monitors available. Just type in the model and "review" in Google. I also believe Dell has a new 24" coming soon - the 2408.

5. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guess we need some people with some first hand reviews :)

6. oceanzen macrumors regular

oceanzen

Although the Samsung says it's max resolution is 1920x1200 it has this pic
    [​IMG] - which seems strange - mistake??

7. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

Read this review. http://www.behardware.com/articles/629-1/24-inches-the-dell-2407wfp-vs-the-samsung-244t.html

8. oceanzen macrumors regular

oceanzen

Also you should consider the cheaper Dell E248wfp 24"
    It goes for around £280

9. exspes macrumors member

This might be in reference to TV HD resolutions which are 1280x720 or 1920x1080.... Because if someone's looking for a monitor that suppots "1080p" and they don't see it explicitly, they'll get confused.

Most monitors that are 1080p will be 1920x1200

10. oceanzen macrumors regular

oceanzen

Yeah but it doesn't even state the HD resolution of 1920x1080 it says 1980 x 1080 so it's probably just a mistake.

11. exspes macrumors member

Oh wow - so used to seeing the 1920 bit that my eyes glanced right over it.

I've never heard of anything being that rez - I'd say yeah, a typo.

12. oceanzen macrumors regular

oceanzen

After all the money I've spenton the new 8 Core Mac Pro with Airport, wifi, wireless mouse
    3x500gb Barracudas
    1x1tb Barracuda
    4GB Ram

Oh and a Canon hv20 HDV Camcorder

I can't really justify getting a 24", have to stick with my Dell 20"

But it would be nice to see 1080HD in 1080HD ;)

Once you start spending it's hard to stop!

13. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

14. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

Actually, I thank you for starting this thread. I'm going to buy a new MP next week after Macworld just to see if they will release new cinema displays....but I doubt it. Since I'm using an iMac now, I need a new display for the MP. Because of this thread, I'm starting to re-evaluate my LCD purchase.

After a little googling, I came across the Hyundai W240D-TN 24". This seems to be an excellent display!

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-054-HY

15. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

MacWorld seems to like NEC--they even recommend a 24" model over Dell's offering in their latest issue. Does anyone own an NEC and like it as much as MacWorld?

16. macgruder macrumors 6502

This great post at Anandtech has as much info as you could possibly need :)

Have lots of recommendations for specific needs: gaming, office, etc.

17. exspes macrumors member

Kind of a related question - does anyone know of a good place to look at monitors in NYC? I like reading specs as much as the next guy but for me the final word rests with my eyes.

And i"m talking about a place where they don't hook up 20 hi-rez monitors to one vga breakout box, but actually have em hooked up via DVI to individual stations.

18. macgruder macrumors 6502

Bear in mind that many monitors use the same LCD panel.

For example, the
    S-IPS (LG.Philips) panels

S-IPS panels are the generally the best followed by S-PVA panels.

This page allows you to search the panel type:
    http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php

Note that Dell 24 inch monitors use both and it's a lottery which one you'll get: an S-PVA or a S-IPS. All Apple monitors are S-IPS. If you get a S-IPS monitor you can't really go much wrong. Or an S-PVA monitor from many makers can also be good - I seem to remember they have good contrast but slower response time which can be a problem for gaming apparently. I would go for a S-IPS if you can afford it as they have the best color combined with a decent response time. An S-PVA is cheaper and can be fine if gaming is not your thing but check that the response time is not too long (>50ms)

19. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Just to add my reply, I do own the Samsung 245BW (but still waiting for my Mac Pro to arrive), but I'm currently on a PC.

I love the color and sharpness, I calibrate it with the eye-one display 2 colorimeter, and my photos still look great.

The only minor point I have is that if you need to get up close to the monitor, parts of the screen under where you're looking onscreen can tend to turn a bit bluish. If you're sitting a reasonable distance back, however, it looks great and I'm happy to have gotten it.

-Bryan

20. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well its between the samsung, benq and the dell they all have s-pva panels??? Or am i mistaken?

However the samsun is about £100 cheaper than both the benq and the dell and seems to have slighty better specs.

EDIT: Ah i see dell uses s-vpa but the samsung is still TN right?

21. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

22. akadmon macrumors 68010

I'm very happy with my Dell.

23. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Have you got the Dell 24" Ultrasharp 2407WFP-HC or the non HC?

24. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats still a TN panel though, right? Seems like dell is one of the only reasonable prices for s-pva panels