Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcburrows

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Bristol
I am looking at getting a monitor for my unibody macbook pro C2D
I looked at the ACD, which is beautiful, but for me, not worth the price.
Anyone have any suggestions for a decent monitor for me, that is also reasonably aesthetically pleasing - hey vanity thy name is apple customers?

It is for very simple use - front row, iWork, iLife, couples of games under windows 7 - basically to give me a desktop solution. The only element I want is to try to get a monitor that does not eat up all my desk space but that provides perhaps 20 inches of screen. I am also not too fussed about USB ports etc. Monitor must be available in the UK, and prob around £200 mark

Thanks for your help

jbyun04

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Canada
I was in the same situation as you and as a temporary display I'm using the CinemaView 24". It's aesthetically a clone of an ACD so it looks nice. There was a misconception here that it uses a TN panel but I emailed them and found out it actually uses an 8-bit 8th gen S-MVA panel.

It's obviously not an IPS but the colours display very well.

Due to past problems with Dell I opted not to go for their display but it's definitely an option if you want to go that way.

Like I said, it's only temporary for me. I'm in school right now so I wanted a cheaper display ($499). I'm waiting and seeing what Apple does with their display lineup so if they release a 27" LED I'm dumping my CV24 in favour of that one.

whatusername

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2010
I've been struggling with this. I currently own a great Samsung LCD, but what I thought was great, now against the MBP High Res Anti Glare look yellow and dingy. The white's on the MBP are so much nicer than the old LCD. Has anybody found a LCD with whites comparable to the MBP screen?

raymondkerr

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Have a look at the HP 2310i, these monitors come with VGA/DVI ports and look very stylish, full HD at 1920x1080 res. A bit like the Apple 24" LED Display but at a fraction of the cost, listed at about £149.99 UK street price.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I am looking at getting a monitor for my unibody macbook pro C2D
I looked at the ACD, which is beautiful, but for me, not worth the price.
Anyone have any suggestions for a decent monitor for me, that is also reasonably aesthetically pleasing - hey vanity thy name is apple customers?

It is for very simple use - front row, iWork, iLife, couples of games under windows 7 - basically to give me a desktop solution. The only element I want is to try to get a monitor that does not eat up all my desk space but that provides perhaps 20 inches of screen. I am also not too fussed about USB ports etc. Monitor must be available in the UK, and prob around £200 mark

Look at http://www.dabs.com. 20 inch is tiny. You'll find it hard to spend as much as £200 on it. Samsung 20" 1600x900 is £113 and nothing wrong with that. 23" 2048 x 1152 is £176.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.