Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdechavez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
I'm using a 32in Sony Bravia TV for my mac pro atm. Why would most people use a monitor as opposed to a 32in tv?

May be a stupid question but i'm curious.

SuperJudge

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
The Triangle, NC
Pixel density/size, mostly.

The viewing distance for a 32" 1080p monitor should probably be about 5-10 feet. It'd probably drive me nuts to look at an LCD TV at that distance.

Besides, a 1080p monitor has way fewer pixels/way less screen real estate than my 30" ACD does.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
TVs have a lot of extra bulk to them. You also have to chose tv's carefully. Not all of them will happily accept digital input from a computer without totally screwing it up....

In the end, buying a TV is more risky, and more expensive, than buying a monitor. Yeah, a 27" Cinema display is more expensive than your TV probably, but that's for a huge quality difference (LED is very nice.)

pdechavez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
thanks for all the replies. I bought a 24in viewsonic LCD and was kinda doubting my purchase since a little smaller than my 32in tv. any thoughts on viewsonics?

btw, its viewsonic 2431wm.

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
Bigger ≠ better when it comes to pixel size. Generally speaking, you want the smallest pixels you can have text be readable at. Or even then, you could just use larger text, as pretty much all software can allow you to bump up the text, but most users are too stuck in their ways to make that change.

All TV pixels are huge compared to monitors, except HDTVs smaller than 24" or so...in which case I wouldn't even bother calling it a TV so much as a low quality monitor with a TV tuner built in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.