Monitors

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Check 6, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Check 6 macrumors regular

I have decided to go ahead and get the current Mac Pro and with the advice of my son-in law and all comments from this forum I have configured it. There is one question left, which monitor? I'm going to get an Apple monitor but am between the 24" and the 30". In reading the specs. the resolution on the 30" is better. However the monitor will be less than 3 feet from my eyes and is that too close for such a large monitor? Remember old eyes and this is a long term purchase. Thanks

2. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

What are you using it for? What is most important to you colour calibration, ports or something else?

3. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Okay - well with the larger monitor - when it comes to fonts - they won't be much (if any) bigger. Because the screen his larger, but so isn't the resolution. So you can do a lot more at once - but to get bigger fonts - you will need to reduce your resolution. (working with the old eyes aspect).

Any time you reduce resolution on a LCD - the picture is never as clear as the "Native" resolution would be. Granted, the size increase more than the image degrades - so it is still easier to read.

The 30" Apple display is beautiful - as is the 24" (I thought Apple made a 23"?)

If you're not dead set on Apple - the one good thing Dell does is displays. But that is where I stop praising them. You can grab a display with very similar specs, for a lot less.

Dell also has a rather unique LCD that might work in your favor. It is a 27" LCD - that supports the native resolution of a 24" LCD. This means all the fonts will be bigger on that display at Native resolution, without having to reduce it.

Worth chewing on, I think. In spite of it being a non-Apple product.

4. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I've a Dell wide screen and think it's great for the price!

5. Check 6 thread starter macrumors regular

Appreciate the comments. I looked at the Dell monitors as well as the Samsung and I may go with the Samsung 27" as its specs are the same as the Dell and it is listed in the B&H photo site as being less money plus the fact that as a NAPP member I get a discount at B&H I currently have a Samsung 21" o my Windows based graphics desktop that my wife uses and it has been a great monitor.

Question what is the imput monitor plug on the Macpro? The Samsung uses a DVI-I Thanks again for the comments

6. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

DVI (I think both DVI I and DVI D) - it should work just fine. I do not know if they have the old D-Sub VGA connectors on the Mac pros anymore. (the blue 15 pin analog connection method used before DVI) (I'm just a feeble poor iMac owner) But I seem to recall the pictures of these MAC Pros having 2 DVI ports on the video cards and supporting at least one 30 inch display. For a 30 inch display - requires at least 2 DVI ports. Someone chime in and yell at me if I'm misleading here.

The Dell monitor also has DVI inputs - as well as VGA, S Video, RCA and I think even Component -- it's nice if you have multiple sources you want to couple up to it. My roomate has his 24" Dell monitor hooked up to his PC, Hi DEF DVD player and a video game system. (each on their own input) Works out pretty nice for him. It seems silly to me with that capability - that anyone would make a monitor without at least 2 different signal inputs these days.

7. krunk macrumors regular

Don't buy and Apple monitor. They have a high rate of defect. Both the ones I have developed the dreaded smudge. If your wondering what the dreaded smudge is, just search the apple forums.

8. Check 6 thread starter macrumors regular

Does anyone know anything about either the Eizo or Lacie brand of monitors, they are pricey but appear to be very high quality.

9. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

I have the EIZO ColorEdge CE24W. I have the Mac Pro 2.66 with the x1900 video card. I am in my 50's, I was reading about all of the issues that people were having with Apple displays as well as the accuracy of other brands. I decided I did not want to go through the headache of returning numerous monitors to get a "good" one. I am glad I purchased the EIZO. It also comes with a 5 year warranty, well worth the additional cost. I am out of town this week but I would be willing to provide you with the authorized EIZO dealer I purchased it from, I got a great price.

10. krunk macrumors regular

A bit off topic, but what exactly did MM get banned for?

11. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I'd like to know too - as did the person who made a post about it. One of the "Admins/Gods" said something to the extent of:

"He violated the terms and conditions agreed to when signing up to Macrumors Forums - and the matter was not to be disclosed to anyone else except the Admins and Multimedia" "the end."

I think a lot of people have asked - and this person seemed like they've had to explain this once or twice before.

I myself personally can't recall him ever "flame baiting" or "bashing" anyone. But I never even saw a fraction of that guys posts! So who knows. Maybe he was pushing some secret Vista agenda - or was a Skull and Bones man?

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you're going to go with a 30" monitor, I'm going to suggest this one.

Multimedia approved. ;)

13. dusanv macrumors 6502

If I were getting one today, I'd get the Dell 3007WFP-HC . I have the older model, 3007WFP, and it's awesome. Also, warranty with Dell is serious. I called up and complained about the first one I got (bright spot in one corner) and they overnighted another. I had it on my doorstep in the morning, literally. But any 24'' or 30'' S-IPS monitor will serve you well. You don't want Samsung, they're all MVA/PVA monitors (ghosting, input lag, hue shifts unless you're staring directly at it, ...). Are you going to do graphics work with this monitor?

14. Check 6 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes some digital photo editing with Photoshop, maybe a little video editing later and then all the normal computer chores. Interesting comment about the Samsung as I have had there hires 20 inch for two years and been very pleased, maybe my standards were not high enough. Dell is just up the street, but I have had some bad issues with tech support on several of their computers over the years. Ezio is just overkill for my hobby but great specs and Apple monitors are too expensive for what you get. Ordering the MacPro this week and need to zero in on a monitor Again thanks for all that cmmented and keep the suggestions coming. Clarity is more important because of an eye issue than because I will be doing pro level editing. After 41 years as a pilot (22 as a fighter pilot) I was hit with the news that the doctor has discovered the early stages of macular degeneration in both eyes. I'm not quiting or giving up but obviouslt need a and clearer monitor as time goes on.

15. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Well - like I mentioned before - I am NOT a fan of Dell - their computers and printers are just trash from my experiences. Their Tech Support - is so much further below trash I'm not sure where it falls. Sewage?

That said - Their Monitors have been the one GOOD thing I get from that company. Out of 3 Macs in my recent Apple life - I've had over 20 something dead pixels between them.

Out of 4 Dell LCDs - I have gotten ZERO.

Top that off, my friends 24" Dell monitor visually beats the bag out of my 24" iMac monitor. From contrast ratio, to image clarity / color and consistency. AND his 24" Dell monitor has 7 fewer dead pixels than my iMac. (my iMac has 7 dead pixels, btw)

I suggested the 27" Dell LCD because having a larger footprint than a 24" LCD but the same resolution - your fonts and images will be much larger across the board - but this monitor still has the resolution to render HD content - should you get into it.

Grabbing a 30" LCD seems to be overkill if you are not going to be running at the native resolution. And the 30" will be big, but again, the font-size relative to a 24" LCD won't be very different. You'll just have so much more real estate with the 30". But with the 27" - it's likely to have bigger fonts AT it's native resolution than the 30" at its native. And I think the 27" was a couple hundred bucks cheaper than the 30".

Now I'm not sure this is an issue here - but with the 30" monitor - you'll be using up both DVI ports to drive that one monitor.

You could have two 24" or 27" monitors running of that same card otherwise. That way - you can look a lot busier than you actually are in front of that Mac. ;)

16. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Personally, I have a Dell 3007WFP-HC. I sit approximately 2 feet away from it regularly. It has never bothered me at all. As I've gotten used to the resolution and screen real estate, I'm beginning to wish for more. :)

Another 30" monitor that looks very interesting is the Gateway 30". It comes with all sorts of ports (Component, Composite, etc) if you wish to plug other things in to it. The upcoming replacement for the Dell 3007 will also sport many more input options. This is probably the thing that I miss most from my old 24" monitor.

17. tribe3 macrumors 6502

The problem will not be with your eyes but with your neck! lol seriously. At least the first week. Than you'll get used to it. Apple monitors are great bang for the buck! ; have S-IPS panels:cool: The other brands you mention - Lacie and Eizo - are great too but depends on the models (especially on Eizo). Lacie has 5 or 6 models; all good and expensive, and Eizo has about 30 models ( cheap are cheap and expensive are good...)

18. eviltobz macrumors member

That's not quite right. Driving a 30" at native resolution requires a dual link dvi socket which is a special, super-fast single port not 2 dvi sockets.

19. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

The 30" dell is S-IPS and was on sale last week for $1150. Definitely an awesome deal. It's back up to $1399 now but they'll have another sale soon (they always do).

20. Check 6 thread starter macrumors regular

Went to the Apple store today and looked again at their 24 and 30 inch monitors. I also looked at both Eizo and Lacie websites last night and I am back to favoring the Samsung top of the line either 24 or 27 inch units to have some extra to put into a second hard drive for the Mac Pro and perhaps a good scanner. There is no perfect answer but hopefully I'm making a sound decision cosidering what I do , my age and the overall cost

21. Nick T. macrumors regular

For the past nine months I’ve had two Dell 2707WFP 27” monitors connected to my Windows box. The resulting 3840x1200 desktop is fantastic!

The color rendition is beautiful, and the slightly larger font size is very easy on my elderly eyeballs.

As soon as Apple releases the new version Mac Pro I’ll be ordering one along with two more Dell 27” monitors.

22. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

LCD Monitors for gaming

Nobody seems to mention this but I thought one of the biggest factors for choosing a monitor for gaming is the response time.
    2, 4, or 6ms is best.
    I do not as yet have a LCD monitor.
    Does anyone use response time as criteria for buying a monitor?

23. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

Dell has 2 24inch sizes out right know

24inch Ultrasharp $669 1920x1200 resolution
    24inch widescreen $499

27inch Ultrasharp $1199 1920x1200 resolution

30inch Ultrasharp $1499 2560x1600 resolution

Apple Cinema Displays

20inch 1680x1050 $599

23inch 1920x1200 $899

30inch 2560x1600 $1799

This is USA prices but i'm waiting for Apple to release the new cinema displays with built-in iSight and new design i'm planning to get the 30inch but in light of some news Apple may bring out a 32inch cinema, So i'm waiting for that and the New MacPro.

24. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Actually, they just came out with a $399 one today.

25. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Topper, while I don't know the individual getting this monitor - I do think they said something about getting older - so I would assume that they don't need an ultra fast response time for their new FPS.

But - you never do know.

Do look CAREFULLY into the cheaper dell LCDs of the same size.

I saw a different one that I almost ordered by mistake - and looking deeply into the specs, I found it had a much shorter warranty, and none of the inputs I wanted. They looked identical but were not.

Some time later, some other kid who liked my monitor - DID get that other version, and was upset when he noticed how much better my monitor looked.