Monopoly for ipad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by JReynolds, May 1, 2010.

1. JReynolds macrumors 6502

Has anyone heard any news about a possible release for monopoly?

I play scrabble almost daily now with my wife. Never played the game in my life until it came to the iPad. The iPad will open the door to many board games if they resemble scrabble. Is there any news about big name board games that you may of heard?

I'm looking forward to your responses :D

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Wow. Never played Monopoly? Damn I feel old now. That was a staple when I was a kid. Great game... though it can run long in real life if playing w/ too many people. Vs. a computer it can often be either too easy or too hard. Classic game though that requires luck and strategy when luck presents itself -- kind of like life itself.

Haven't heard of an iPad specific version. I'm sure it will be coming though.

3. raw911 macrumors regular

Wow that's funny. My wife and kids would play board games and I'd just pass. But now that we both have ipads we've been playing scrabble and monopoly also. After 25yrs marriage it took an iPad. She just loves the togetherness cause other than that I'd been on couch watching sports center or something.

I know they have UNO also. That was another game they played a lot.

4. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

cant wait for monopoly
    right now I have Monopoly, Scrabble, and Life all on my itouch

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I agree with the OP. I used to play Trivial Pursuit over WiFi with my wife, with her being on her iPod Touch and me on my iPhone. Having a much bigger screen on an iPad is going to make the board games much more interactive and fun, as you can just place it on the table and several people could play at the same time. I also look forward to some great board games for an iPad.

6. raw911 macrumors regular

I have monopoly for iPhone and iPod and have also used it on my iPad. It's working ok.

7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Funnily enough I asked this same question (and got same answer as you have got) only a few days ago.

Just hope 2 things.

1: It does not blatantly cheat, as apparently the iPhone version does.

2: It's got the same 3D'ness than the iPhone version does as the version showed in the video on that page looks a bit flat. The iPhone version zooms around in 3D a lot more (which I like anyway) :)

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I am all over this. Love this game. I want it for mu iPad now!!!! Great news!

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

11. Restinbeast macrumors member

I used to really like Monopoly as a kid when I could find someone willing to sit through a game with me.

As you get old and play true strategy games (poker for example) you begin to realize the insane luck factor in Monopoly if you are playing with competent players. If the people you are playing have a clue, then luck dictates almost the entire outcome of the game and this sucks.

I never thought id say this but I wish parker brothers or ea or whoever has ultimate control would through some sort of monkey wrench into the game to make it more strategic. Not just who gets a monopoly first and luckboxes into enough money to build hotels before anyone else.

That being said I have always enjoyed the iphone version. Probably because the computer blatantly cheats as someone else pointed out lol. It at least stops you from guaranteed victories.

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I felt the "Game of Life" was a useless game.

Not sure if you have heard of it.

Basically at the start you spun something or took a card which determined your wages in life.

So every time you landed on a payday square you might get $2000 or $10,000 depending on that very 1st thing you did before the start of the game.

If you got a low payday there was almost no point in playing

13. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Yeah, rubbish game. The only good thing about it was the spinning thing which replaced the dice.

I also got the follow-up game - Go For Broke. It was rubbish too!

14. JulianL macrumors 65816

Does anyone know if Monopoly is going to offer international options? When I tried it out on Windows Mobile a few years ago it was strictly the US version and for people who grew up with it in different countries it just isn't the same somehow because the US place names don't mean much to us.

Personally I think that it's really lazy of the developer if they don't make it international. It's not as if it's that difficult to do, it's just a matter of changing the street names for different countries and if the app was properly written then a simple user setting could select the correct country and the app would then access the appropriate data when it draws the board and displays the property and chance cards. Lots of apps translate their user interfaces into different languages, or card games offer different card faces and backs, so it souldn't be so hard to localise Monopoly for a few of the major countries.

- Julian

15. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

The iPhone version of Monopoly used UK street names by default for me.

There doesn't seem to be a way of changing it to another country, so I guess the app's clever enough to know where you're from...

16. JulianL macrumors 65816

Great. That would be all I need.

- Julian

17. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Great news! I'm about to get an iPad for the Holidays and Monopoly was one of the games i was really looking forward to, especially because I have the iPhone Version, I really do hope they won't do the usual HD app Bait-switch - EDIT: Oh wait, It's out, and they did it :(

18. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Monopoly is out TODAY for the iPad.

In the UK Anyway.

Not downloaded it yet, I want to, but I've been caught out with recent sales.

I guess I may hold off to see if there is a special Christmas Discount before I go for it.

19. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

they added HD to the name and called it a day. sigh.

20. JulianL macrumors 65816

Good plan. It's also worth Googling for something like "iTunes card offers". There have been some great offers in the UK this year like two £15 prepay cards for £20 (both Argos and Clinton cards ran this one at least once this year) and the holiday season is a good time for these to come back. If you can grab something like that, together with an app discount, then you're getting a huge discount.

- Julian

21. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

22. Robin4 macrumors 6502

It's there now. I got it two days ago.

23. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

Not for 99 cents.

24. Robin4 macrumors 6502

25. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

I always hated the board game Monopoly because it is a very simple game that nonetheless takes 2-3 hrs (or longer) of torturous boredom to get through.
    The iPad implementation is great though! Very slick presentation, but most importantly the games are over a lot quicker because the computer takes care of all the banking (making change etc) for you - although one might argue that this removes the most important educational benefit for young children from the game.