Monster Cable icablelink Review(headphone jack adapter)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by weisjt, Jun 24, 2011.

1. weisjt, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011

weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

REVIEW: iCableLink Headphone Jack Adapter for iPhone 4
    [​IMG]
    As you may know Monster makes a mess of products from audio/video cables to fm transmitters to headphones. This review is going to be on the Monster iCableLink Headphone adapter for your iPhone. There are tons of cases on the market for the Apples iPhone and many of then have pretty small cutouts for the headphone jack which leaves you with a set of headphone you can't use with your new case. Monsters solution for this is the icablelink which has a very slim male headphone jack that will fit with all iPhone cases.
    [​IMG]
    DESIGN and FUNCTIONALITY
    The icablelink is design is very nice, the adapter is about 3 inches long and the midsection has a very nice thick but flexible cording. 24k plated contacts minimize corrosion and it has a duraflex protective jacket to make the icablelink durable and last longer. I like the 3 inch design, it has a stiffer quality then normal headphone cord so when it is in your pocket it always directs the cable out of your pocket and doesn't let your iPhone spin around in your in there tugging the headphones on your head. Overall it will work with all iPhone cases that have a headphone jack cutout and the quality/design is top notch.
    [​IMG]
    I went for the Monster branded cable sold on eBay for $6 dollars, there are a few cheaper options for $2 or $3 dollars but I wanted to get the monster cable link because of its design.check it out on eBay for a good price.

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Just as an FYI, monster is no better than any cable you can buy for one tenth the price at monoprice. The company is a sham.

3. weisjt thread starter macrumors 6502a

weisjt

show me this exact cable at mono price, i wasn't saying the audio quality was any better just the quality of the design. mono price stuff might sound as good but it won't have the same quality of this adapter

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I exclusively use MonoPrice cables in my home theater and haven't had a problem with a single one.

Monster Cable is a joke of a company, preying on idiots who walk into Best Buy and think their $100 Blu-ray player needs a $200 Monster cable to look good.

5. weisjt thread starter macrumors 6502a

weisjt

this isn't a forum about home theater or monsters overly priced hdmi cables haha. its just a 6 dollar adapter

6. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

It's a 6 dollar adapter. You said it yourself. I don't really see why it warranted a review, especially considering it was introduced over 3 years ago. :rolleyes:

7. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

8. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

It's a forum about iPhone accessories, this is an iPhone accessory. He can review any product he wants. What's the problem?

Better than the 40th new thread asking what the best screen protector is...

9. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Looks like Hippo Shrooms, but the jack is weird...

10. Alaerian, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011

Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

It simply seems like an unnecessary review. It's a product introduced in January 2008 that is fairly simplistic - there really isn't any "review" needed.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

12. weisjt thread starter macrumors 6502a

weisjt

you don't have to read the review if you don't want to, I wrote the review because I see many people talk about how their headphone jack won't fit in their case and their are some who have never seen these adapters before.

@SchneiderMan and @austin, the headphones are a lower end hifiman re-242. i think they are discontinued or have been upgraded to new model, i used then in review cause the jack on them is pretty large.

@jbromer- thanks well put

13. JonMPLS, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I have a headphone that needs adapters with some cases. This is certainly the best made adapter I have, but it is a little on the stiff side for my preference.

I appreciate reviews like this ,and if you find one that is midway between this one and the really cheap ones (some of which don't even align with the contacts correctly) please let me know!

14. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

15. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Just FYI - this is part of Monster's marketing nonsense.

16. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Umm no, 24k plating helps in a better audio transfer, look it up.

17. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

:rolleyes:
    It IS hype, look it up. When was the last time you had a headphone cable corrode?

18. weisjt thread starter macrumors 6502a

weisjt

no one is stating that it does corrode, it is just a known fact that gold plate is more corrosion resistant. If it is monsters scam then why does mono price and every single other company in the world use gold plate on their connectors? Its ok man, its just a headphone jack adapter everything will be ok....

19. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

Sorry but I didn't know contributing to a forum was something so bad. Plus you dont have to be a smartass all he said was that he liked the design. Also, gold is not the best conductor but its used to as it doesn't corrode as if you used silver it would corrode which would degrade audio quality so its not all "hype" :rolleyes:

20. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

It all depends on where you live too. I used to live near the sea and my non-gold plated plugs started to corrode. Of course having gold plated connectors is ideal.

21. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Post whatever you want. But seriously, a "review" from a product released THREE YEARS AGO? :rolleyes:

It would be different if it was a product worth reviewing. This is a plug. A PLUG.

22. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Hey, let's all stop arguing, if your going to comment on this thread, ask questions or something along those lines, what if somebody wanted a review on this product from a MacRumors member specifically? Discussion closed, back to the topic.

Again, great review Joe! ::

23. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

You know what I do when something doesn't interest me? I don't comment and move on.

24. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Agreed.

25. Alaerian, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Again, "review" whatever you want. I find it amusing that you make a huge deal out of a plug from three years ago. You don't see Car & Driver reviewing a steering wheel cover from 2008, do you?