Montevina (Or w/e) MBP's Video Card

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by II AndyG33 II, Aug 6, 2008.

1. II AndyG33 II macrumors regular

II AndyG33 II

Any rumors or speculations???
    you guys think apple will stick to NVIDIA?

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Probably, but I hope not. I'm still holding out hope for a 3850, but we have no idea if it runs cool enough or not.

Also, inb4 "NOT ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT THE STUPID MONTEVINA VIDEO CARD!!!!!!!!"

3. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

at best expect nvidia 9700m or ati 3850, at worst nvidia 9600m.

Rumors? no. Speculation? ^

There have been a number of threads on this subject if you want a lot more opinions.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The 9700M is nearly twice the power draw of the current card.

9650M GS at BEST, 9600M GT most likely... or an ATI card with the same power draw as current.

5. Yixian macrumors 65816

I still don't think even Apple would stoop so low as putting a 9600M GT in a three thousand dollar 17" laptop. I mean it's possible but, the fabric of space time will take a beating.

Hopefully the redesigned cases will bring about better cooling, apparently the current cooling set up is pretty much unchanged since the PB G4? Even has cheapo thermal paste..

6. MacFever macrumors regular

MacFever

Choosing the right graphics card is very important as mentioned before to balance the power draw from the power supply.

This problem reared it's ugly head for Lenovo with it's T61p's when they outfitted them with Nvidia Quadro FX570M. After months and months of lenovo technical team investigations they found out the card was causing the power to fluctuate for other devices while the GPU was under heavy stress like Video Games...

So the laptop would randomly shutdown/power off or blue screen...

The video card drew more power from the powersupply and the other devices didn't get enough...so it was a tug of war..

the only solution was to replace the motherboard + video card.

7. Yixian macrumors 65816

Well, the new nVidia card, from the 9700M upward, have built in GeForce 9100 Ms, an integrated gpu, meaning that the computer can switch back and forth on the go. This doesn't solve the heat issue, but it means that when plugged into the mains you'd have far more powerful graphics than the 9600M GT, and while on the go, far long battery life than the 9600M GT.

I would be surprised if Apple weren't looking for a way to make that mechanism practical in the MBP.

8. zsft macrumors regular

Hmm...in some other thread, one person said they know an employee that told him it's gonna be a 9600m GT...source is not disclosed, naturally. How much more power does the 9650m GS have over the 9600m GT? I mean it's only like 50 away right lol

9. Yixian macrumors 65816

Like 3 watts or something. There's no excuse for a 9600M GT, and that was back in July, we're talking September here, nVidia have pushed the 9600M GT back a wave again.

10. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

I think it's like 22w vs 28w.

11. shmutheprophet macrumors regular

The 9600GT is about the performance of an 8800GT - not that bad for a laptop...

12. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

1st of all, we're talking laptop cards here, not desktop cards. The laptop 9600M GT is supposedly more like the 9500 of the desktop world (fairly big step down)

2nd, even if we WERE talking about desktop cards, it's still a noticeable step down.

13. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

14. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

I hope to god they wait until they get access to the 4850 Mobility. It's been demoed, and Apple gets early access to some hardware, so there is hope. But only if they wait until end of September/October.

Blows everything else out of the water. I'm indifferent to the 9600M vs. the 3850, but I'd rather have the 4850 Mobility over anything.

15. m1stake macrumors 68000

the 3800 mobility series and the 4800 mobility series are high end cards. Apple has used mid range cards since the PowerBook G4. The 9600m GT it is.

16. Bubba Satori macrumors 601

Bubba Satori

From last year. :rolleyes:

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I disagree - the Mobility Radeon 9700 was a great card when it came out, and was a good match for the PowerBook

18. Bubba Satori macrumors 601

Bubba Satori

Yep and get away with it cause you got a captive customer that you know won't buy anything else. What a racket.

19. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

You're right Bubba - it's amazingly criminal that Apple has gotten away with not spec'cing laptops with top of the line GPUs (that change 2-3 times a year) for so many years. The criminals.

20. erixire macrumors newbie

I recently bought 3 MBP's for a video application which makes intensive use of the graphic card. After 30 minutes the computer suddenly reboots, we figured due to overheating.
    After having read on this list about comparable and apparantly general problematic behaviour of the nVidea card, I wonder whether anyone has precise data of the phenomenon, and a workable solution.
    If the heating of the card is at stake, did anyone i.e. test the problem when cooling (in an intense way) the MBP, adding ventilation, using liquid cooling systems, or -why not- even putting (dry) ice underneath? Any data about that?

The laptops serve for an art installation. If the problem is unavoidable we will have to switch to desktop models, which seen the mobile nature of it, would be disastrous. Thanks for helping.

21. Yixian macrumors 65816

Agreed I'd like to see an HD 4*** card, their tdps will be great.

But you shouldn't be indifferent to the difference between the 9600M vs. the 3850, the latter is twice as powerful as the former.

22. iMacmatician macrumors 601

NVIDIA 9500M/9600M/9650M, ATI HD 36x0. Any higher and it's too hot for the MacBook Pro.

What early access?
    • The 3.0 GHz Clovertown was available to places other than Apple when Apple got it.
    • Apple uses the latest chipsets usually a month or more after their release.
    • Apple got the 2.8 GHz Core 2 Extreme two weeks early.
    • The "Santa Rosa Special" chipset was an enhanced Santa Rosa chipset released 3 months after Penryn.

And isn't the 4850 too hot for the MacBook Pro?

Also just like how the iMacs switched from midrange GPUs to low-end and midrange GPUs, the MacBook Pros could do the same.

23. Yixian macrumors 65816

Nobody knows anything about it, it doesn't exist yet.

24. zsft macrumors regular

Well, Apple seems to be in a pack with Nvidia now, especially with the chipset rumors going around, it's probably unlikely to find an Ati card in it. But that said, I don't think the 38xx series will ever make it into a laptop this thin. At most a 3650, which is, as a matter of fact, fitted to some variations of the Sony FW line. Be a shame if Apple busts out anything less than a 3650.

25. Babaknt macrumors newbie