Monthly bill really worth it???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paul17win, Jan 21, 2008.

1. paul17win macrumors member

paul17win

Do you believe your monthly bill is really worth paying to have an iphone???
    i told myself that when my verizon plan was up i would by a beloved iphone, i payed 55$ a month with verizon and that was with unlimited texting. the iphone bill would run me up roughly 80$!!!! is it truly worth buying???

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I don't think 25 dollars per month extra (less than a dollar per day) is worth any exclamation points.

and yes, most iPhone users do think that it is reasonable. That's why they own iPhones.

3. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Yes.

Absolutely.

Using the iPhone is a joy and is the technological highlight of every day since I bought it last June.

1.3 showed the power of the platform.

And with the SDK it will only get better and better.

4. paul17win thread starter macrumors member

paul17win

thats what i keep telling myself. the joy of using an iphone everyday seems worth it! i think it will just be hard tho going to college and having to worry about 80$ a month. i guess thats just my biggest concern.

5. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

The basic plan shouldn't cost $80 a month.

What plan are you getting for that rate?

6. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

I personally think the rate is worth it. Compared to my last contract, I have 400 less minutes and 200 less texts, but I'm still happy with it. Free data? I've been looking forward for that for a long time! and i'd be happy with the contract with a worse phone! (But obviously perfect with the iPhone ;) )

7. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

My bill is also about $80 a month (with the exception of last month which was $230), and I'm often angry about how much it is and I feel like I might be wasting my money.. but then I realize, it's only $960 a year. $960 a year should not be a concern to anybody.. and if it is, i'd recommend that person rethink how to generate their income.

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have the basic plan with 200SMS. It runs about $69 a month. This isn't anymore than what I was paying when I had a Treo 650 through Sprint. Very reasonable.

9. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

After being a loyal Palm and Treo customer for 10 years and watching that company introduce shoddier and shoddier products that don't provide adequate Mac support, I didn't have much of a choice. The lack of Leopard support was the last straw. I feel better paying an extra few bucks a month for an iphone than praying for success every time I hotsync. For Mac users, there really is only one choice now. And finally it is a good one!

10. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

My bill is just slightly higher than it was with Sprint, and I get a few more things I didn't have. It's definitely worth it.

:)

11. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I have to get the train for about 1 - 1 and a half hours to work and back every day, and I think without my iPhone and its ability to use the internet properly whilst listening to podcasts is well worth the extra £20 or so I pay over my last contract. I get so much more done. Whats that old saying - time is money? If its true, an iPhone could in fact make you money... lol

12. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I too am in the same boat as you. My Verizon contract is up next week. However, I am not worried about the monthly bill...I am simply worried about spending the money for the phone. My cell bill is already around $135 a month, so that is no big deal...

Anyway, I am going to do it...I want one too much to not do it...:D

13. crackermac macrumors member

Don't forget that the lowest plan includes internet. It's $40 to get data on my blackberry for work (on top of voice plan). $60 or $80 is a pretty good deal when you factor in the data.

For Reference: I just went onto sprint and a 900 minute plan, 300 txt, and unlimited data is $104.98/month. That's about the closest I could get to the $80 with AT&T. That was also with a $10 off data promo.

14. paul17win thread starter macrumors member

paul17win

15. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

16. crackermac macrumors member

Damn, I should be a salesman. :)

17. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I was already paying nearly 90 bucks a month for my treo and the cost didnt change much to switch to the iPhone. So yeah, its worth it to me.

18. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

The main issue is if you are going from something like no web and unlimited texts and huge minutes to an iPhone plan.

To get what you were used to plus have the taked on $20 data plan will cost you a good bit more than you might be paying already.

If you need to keep costs down, look into buying fewer mins and making deliberate use of the rollover/night weekend more and also look into the unlimited mobile to mobile texting plans.

I wish you could sell minutes/texts...I always seem to go over with the minimum but the next plan up I always have left over I never use.

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Really worth it for me?

Sadly, no. :(

I really want an iPhone, but I can't justify tippling my cell-phone bill every month.

See, I pay $47 for my phone. My wife's phone is still on her parent's plan. They don't care and let her stay on it.

Now, there's no way I can get an iPhone without my wife wanting one (I can't blame her) which means we'd exchange my $55 bill for a $160 family plan bill!

As much as I want an iPhone, I just can't justify that. Oh well.

20. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The Base plan is $59/mo/each or a family plan for $109/mo. Sounds to me it would actually be cheaper in the long run. It is also only an extra $10 for 1500 more txts.

TEG

21. stekerrod macrumors regular

i pay a little more a month on my iPhone contract than i was spending per month on my old phone.....i think it's worth it, aint a huge amount more and getting better value for money on it.....if i didnt feel it was worth it i wouldnt have got an iPhone!

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

We would need the 1400 minute family plan. That's $129.

I said $160 before because last time I checked Apple didn't post prices for 2 phone lines. It used to be for one line and you had to add $30 to it for the second line. So that's what I did since I remembered that. Turns out they changed that and I didn't notice before. So I was wrong. It's only $130, not $160.

Ok! So slightly better, but $130 is still a lot more than $47. Not AT&T's fault, I know I have a weird situation. But that's what I have to deal with so it ain't happening.

23. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I have to ask... but why do you neet 1400 minutes? You are aware the the two of you calling each other is free?

TEG

24. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I understand. We get free calls to each other now. (We're both on T-Mobile.)

NOT counting the free times (nights and weekends) we each tend to use about 350 minutes of billable time and another 350 "free" minutes to T-Mobile people. So we're each using about 700 minutes a month (during peak hours), but only half of them count towards our paid time.

Most of those "free" T-Mobile calls would become billable under AT&T. We don't know many people with AT&T so we wouldn't benefit much from that. Our calls to each other would be free, but we'd suddenly be paying for all the calls to T-Mobile family members.

I'm guessing we'd each use about 400-500 "billable" minutes per month with an iPhone. (And another 200 or so "free" calls to AT&T phones. Again, this is all excluding nights and weekends.) So the base plan of 700 shared minutes won't cut it. We'd need the middle plan.

25. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I was just curious. I rarely use more than 150 (daytime) minues in a month. Mainly because I am a textual/visual communicator. I really dislike speaking to people on the phone. But now I have like 3000 rollover minues saved up, so I can't see paying for more than 450 minutes a month.

TEG