Mophie Juicepack

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by elaniemay, Nov 27, 2011.

1. elaniemay macrumors 6502

elaniemay

I want to get the Mophie Juicepack for my iP4S. I was curious if anyone could tell me how easily it gets dirty and how easily it cleans up.

Thanks!

2. xdbuix macrumors 6502

i use the juice pack plus on a daily basis and i love it. I don't really notice it getting dirty. I did get used to the extra weight of the case, but after awhile, its good to change it up to a skinny case.

3. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

It doesn't get dirty easily and it is easy to clean.

4. elaniemay thread starter macrumors 6502

elaniemay

I read that it's really hard to get the phone out once it's in and that you can't charge it or connect to iTunes with it in the case. Anyone know more about this? I'd rather not be taking the case off and on. I want the white but am worried about discoloration. I can get it at 40% off, which is why I'm considering it, but don't want to make a blind decision.

5. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

I have the black one.

It is easy to take on and off. Just be a little careful with the top piece, as there are some thin parts there. I use the side and camera hole as a grab point.
    Otherwise it comes apart and together smoothly.

Yes you can charge both the iPhone and case together...that is the design. So too with the iTunes (per the manual), but I have not tried it myself.

40% is a good price to get off!

6. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I'm looking for a case for my new iPhone 4s but the battery life is so bad that I think I need to grab a mophie juicepack. The one thing I was wondering was shock absorption if the phone fell. Also screen protection to a small degree. With the rubber bumper things, they come out a tiny bit so of your phone was to fall and land face first, there is a chance for survival.

7. ET iPhone Home, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I just purchased a Mophie Juice Pack at Best Buy for $79.99 and I am so glad I came upon it. Originally, I picked up an Otter Defender Case, but as soon as I slipped the Mophie, this was the "one"; returned the Otter.

It retains the aesthetic design of the 4S. it is bulky, but I don't see it as bulky (sounds like I'm contradicting my statements), because the Mophie design is so svelte and sleek. It elongates the design of the 4S screen, making it appear like a 4" screen.

As for YouTube commentary, the Mophie will only charge the 4S to about 75-80%, which is fine. Haven't had the chance to deplete the charge on the Mophie. I don't see this case protecting the screen in case of accidental drops like the Otter Defender. So it's a decision based on looks rather than protection - only from scratches.

It's easy to clean. I got the Black with Silver side panels. The Black has a rubber feel and is very smooth. So far I've been very careful. But I could see some major scuff marks on this case if you handle it hard. I wanted the White Mophie, but realized it was the same white material like on the 3G and 3GS. Would have wanted the white with the same smooth matte rubber material as on the Black.

(edit)

The only thing I noticed is the top piece is not as flush with the bottom piece when you look at the Mophie from it's side. It's a little off, but no big deal. I noticed the same thing on the YouTube videos, so I figured it was more or less a scaling flaw.

8. superpepino macrumors newbie

what i want to know is how you're getting it for 40% off?! :eek:

9. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

I got a Juice Pack Plus off of Amazon for $62 and that was a shipped from/sold by Amazon deal too. Not a third party. The Air versions has been on there cheaper than $40.

Personally, the Juice Pack Plus is the way to go in my book. I have all of the "big name" battery cases out there (Phone Suit, both Mophie versions, Incipio, Incase, exogear, and a couple others). The Mophie is the only one I go to when I need a battery case.

It basicaly feels like a slightly thicker bumper case. The built-in buttons are awesome and really what I prefer. It has a nice soft touch back, charges the phone fully from dead in less that 30 minutes with juice to spare, and the "bumper" portion of the case is shock absorbant. I have actually dropped my phone a couple of times in the case and while the edges are a little marked up the phone is 100% unscathed.

Not only that but I have used this as my daily case for the past 2 months due to work being long and it is really only slightly thicker than a naked iPhone 4 (about the size of an Otterbox) but it still goes in and out of my pocket with ease.

If you get one that has a bad top section (of the 3 review units I originally received, one was bad) just contact their CS. It is pretty good. Just take a picture of it and they will send you out another top. A friend did this and got a new top in a day. Hers didn't fit quite right due to warping in the packaging presumably by the heat of the summer.

10. TwinCitiesJHawk macrumors 6502

TwinCitiesJHawk

11. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

I have the JPA and I love it. I only use it when I travel, and use an Incase Snap for when I am home. The JPA is a breeze to get on/off, it charges/syncs with no problems (using the included cable) and aside from some light scuffing on the back has held up well.

Mophie was running a 30% off "Cyber Monday" sale this past Monday, so perhaps that is what they were referring to. I almost jumped on it to buy a JP+ but I waffled and missed out.

12. elaniemay thread starter macrumors 6502

elaniemay

My brother-in-law works for AT&T and gets a 40% on everything.

13. xdbuix macrumors 6502

the Air was also on sale on black friday at Apple. I believe it was $60.

----------

Btw, one hinderance of the case is the flash. If you plan on taking pictures with flash on, expect whitewash. The case is for sure affecting flash, because I took several sample pictures with and without the case, and definitely noted the whitewashing.

It is a great a case and one of my favorites. You just can't take flash pictures in the dark with it. :(

14. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

I asked earlier about the morphie pack in this thread and someone sent me a PM offering to sell me theirs for $60 plus shipping. They said it was this here:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/H6249ZM/A/mophie-juice-pack-air-for-iphone-4

I went through the (at the time) the 49 reviews and decided against using this after reading the complaints such as the micro USB breaking off. In particular this comment about the two versions existing made me uneasy about buying this particular product. How would I know what I got?

But then I read rapaleeman's post and think i want to get the Juice Pack Plus.

15. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

The one from the apple store (which is only available there) is pretty bad compared to other Mophie products. It isn't great in my opinion. The bottom of the case is loose almost all the time. At least on the one I was sent.

The reason it exists is because Apple stopped carrying the other ones due to hem not meeting their requirement specs (this is the real reason a lot of cases like the Defender and Candyshell were redesigned). The Apple version of the Juice Pack Air does meet their criteria in terms of cut outs and weight as well as add in the option to dock. That was where the issues were on my sample. It was just too loose.

I prefer the Plus due to the covered buttons, better actual protection in case of drops, and the fact it more than doubles the battery life. The Plus is currently $75 bucks on Amazon. Buy it and try it. If you don't like it send it back and you are out only the shipping.

16. cbronfman macrumors 6502

If you have weak hands, don't buy

I have some but little hand strength - the juice pack plus unfortunately won't work for me. I have to be able to take it on and off at times (like if I want to dock it in my GPS dashboard mount and need access to the dock connector). It took me 1/2 hour to get it out of the case last night. Just a word of caution that probably doesn't apply to any of you, but I wish I'd seen a comment that made me think twice before I ordered given my disability.

17. Rizvi1, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

^actually that's a concern I think i may need to worry about. There are quite a few instances i can think of where i would need to remove my iPhone 4s from my mophie juice pack plus:

1) I plan to keep my phone on me in the gym and I was thinking of getting one of those armband-iphone/ipod holders. I believe I would be taking he device in and out the mophie for that (although I haven't figured this out all the way through yet because I want to keep track of my workout in an app. I'm not sure how easy it would be to do that with your device going on and off an Arm band. I could just keep using my beat up iPod touch 2g 32gb for the gym with the gym buddy app. That thing is beat up so mug I just leave in my pocket. It's actually been beat up from two workout accidents at the gym).

2) when I go cycling I want to mount the phone to my bike. Unless there is a bike mount out there that would fit the iPhone 4s with the mophie on it as well. I plan to use the sports tracker app here.

3) Also the sports tracker app again for when I go running. Again, may use an arm band here, but may want something else because I would want to check on the run through it.

18. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

It truly isn't hard to remove from the snap case. I've done it a couple times and took me maybe 10 seconds each time.

19. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

It isn't hard to remove from the Plus or the standard version of the Air either.

I slides in and out nicely. There is a little resistance but nothing that requires true force. I switch out the Mophie for a Survivor when in need of more protection. Takes all of 30 seconds to remove and a minute to put it in the Survivor due to it being several pieces.

20. Dhelsdon, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

21. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I just saw the Mophie Juice pack Air in Red. So Cool. So I am going to exchange my black Mophie for the Red. Luckily, I'm still within the exchange timeframe. Will post photos of it later.

22. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

This is a very cheap price. Why is the price so cheap? It makes me hesitant to buy, but if it's the real deal then I'll purchase one as soon as possible.

23. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

24. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I wonder how it compares to the real thing. I'm sort of tempted to buy it.

25. TwinCitiesJHawk macrumors 6502

TwinCitiesJHawk

I have one from Amazon that I received a couple of weeks ago, then was planning on returning it when I got mine from focalprice but may not if its a fake. I'll compare the 2 and report back when it comes in, hopefully any day now.