Mophie Launches Juice Pack Air Battery Case With Wireless Charging for iPhone 7 and 7 Plus

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 6, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Mophie today debuted the Juice Pack Air battery cases for iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, bringing the company's signature battery case line to Apple's latest smartphones. In addition to featuring extended battery life in a slim design, the new cases also take advantage of Mophie's Charge Force wireless charging technology.

The case magnetically aligns with all other Mophie Charge Force accessories, like the wireless charging base, vent mount, desk mount, and Charge Force Powerstation battery. The case is also compatible with Qi and other wireless charging standards.

The iPhone 7 version of the Juice Pack Air comes with a 2,525 mAh battery while the iPhone 7 Plus version comes with a 2,420 mAh battery. Mophie says they boost total battery life of the phones up to 27 and 33 hours of talk time, respectively.

We've been able to spend a few minutes with the new cases, which carry the familiar two-piece slider design with a matte finish. As with all battery cases, they add a fair bit of bulk and heft to the iPhone, but the case feels good in the hand and is not overly cumbersome if you have a need for extended battery life.

[​IMG]

The case's power and volume buttons for the iPhone have a high-quality feel, while the mute switch remains easily accessible. For those without Force Charge or other wireless charging solutions, the case charges with a standard micro-USB cable and supports pass-through charging of the iPhone first, followed by the battery case. Four LEDs on the rear of the case display the current case battery level at the press of a button, while a longer press on the button turns on and off charging of the phone from the case.

One downside relates to headphone connectivity, as with no built-in headphone jack and no direct access to the iPhone's Lightning port, wireless headphones are a necessity with this case.

Both Juice Pack Air variants are available for $99.95 each at Mophie's website and come in black, gold, rose gold, navy blue and Product (RED). The various Charge Force bases, mounts, and external battery are sold separately, but are generally available at discounted prices if purchased with a Juice Pack Air case.

Article Link: Mophie Launches Juice Pack Air Battery Case With Wireless Charging for iPhone 7 and 7 Plus

2. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I really hope Apple actually does something innovative with wireless charging in the next iPhone.

3. SigEp265 macrumors 6502

SigEp265

Same. I have this case for my 6S and it ios a necessity for me. It is so much easier to just place it on my wireless charging stand at my desk. I wont upgrade my phone until it has wireless charging lol

4. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

I'd take a battery case with larger capacity and the same size over this garbage.

My iPhone 7 Plus battery case is 4,000 mAh. This one is only 2,420 mAh. The battery in the iPhone 7 Plus is 2,900 mAh which means you don't even get a full charge with this Morphie case.

5. Abacab macrumors member

Abacab

I have owned these cases from the I-Phone 4 all the way to my 6s and for the money they are not made well,( buttons always break or fail) have issues charging when phone is on and inserted. Although not as stylish I am going to give the Apple case a try as 3 strikes and you are out with mophie. If anyone has a better alternative I would like to hear their experience.

6. OnTheZone, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016

OnTheZone macrumors regular

So with this case you can't use wired headphones at all.

Also if it can't do audio pass through USB then I'm assuming it's not possible to do CarPlay either. I truly miss having a mophie but they need to fix these issues first.

7. FelixDerKater macrumors 68030

FelixDerKater

8. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Can it get wet? The phone can but I assume the case cannot.

9. avanpelt macrumors 68030

The iPhone 7 Mophie has a higher capacity battery than the iPhone 7 Plus Mophie? Is that a typo?

10. TurboPGT! Suspended

How is that "easier"? You can't even hold the phone while its charging, let alone use it. And how many of those cumbersome, expensive charging mats do you have? And how effing ugly are they? How does that beat the widely available lightning connectors I have everywhere, the car, the house, etc.
    And for that matter, battery lasts so long in the 7 Plus I never charge except at night, and that point, I don't care if its in a dock plugged in or laying on a mat (actually I think I prefer docked).

This kind of "wireless" charging is an inconvenience, not a convenience. Trying to sell it as such is impossible. Its just not better.

11. Appleaker macrumors 68020

Honestly, I couldn't care less about wireless charging when they could have put a headphone jack on the case.

12. mrow macrumors 6502

Why would they not use a lightning pass-through port at this stage? Apple has made licensing available for female lightning ports to device makers for a few years now. Then wired headphones would work and you could use it with all your existing lightning accessories. That is by far the best thing about Apple's battery cases IMO and why I wouldn't use any battery case that didn't have lightning pass-through.

13. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

They'd probably either have to raise the price or lower their profits per sale. They probably calculated that the increase in sales from having lightning wouldn't make up for the fall in sales from a higher price or from the fall in profit per sale.

14. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

Those cases have a REALLY high margin. On some of them it's almost a 100% markup.

15. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

I'm getting the case and car mount, looks cool

16. xizdun macrumors regular

17. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

It's brilliant. This is one area mophie have genuinely innovated as he magents are incredibly strong and the case doesn't move an inch (had them for my 6s).

Agreed. Big bummer. It's the one thing they're missing that would make these a great choice.

18. SigEp265 macrumors 6502

SigEp265

I use this at my desk.

https://www.amazon.com/Remission-3-Coils-Wireless-Indicator-QI-Enabled/dp/B01FTND612

It's quite easy to just place it on there anytime I am not using it .. and constantly stays charged. I can see notifications quickly and easily because of the stand.

19. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

How are these even compatible with the iPhone 7 if they don't have a built-in 3.5mm jack, or a female Lightning connector with which to connect a Lightning adapter, or headphones?

This is really a total fail for anyone the uses a wired headphone.

20. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

I mostly agree, but for certain things it makes sense, like the vent mount they sell.

21. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

This is pretty cool, if only I could stand cases for more than one day. I dont think I've ever had a case on my phone for more than one day, I absolutely hate it.

22. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I hope so too...I really think the Apple Watch is/was their beta testing of wireless charging and hoping the reason it wasn't added in the iPhone 7 was because they wanted to add it in their 10th Anniversary iPhone.

23. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

It says the 7 plus case provides more extra hours than the 7, so it's almost certainly as typo.

24. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I'm thinking it will be more advanced than that.

25. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

How can you make an accessory that blocks you from using lightning port headphones? Mophie had months to figure this out.