Mophie Launches Juice Pack Air Battery Case With Wireless Charging for iPhone 7 and 7 Plus

adrian348

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2016
I'd take a battery case with larger capacity and the same size over this garbage.

My iPhone 7 Plus battery case is 4,000 mAh. This one is only 2,420 mAh. The battery in the iPhone 7 Plus is 2,900 mAh which means you don't even get a full charge with this Morphie case.
What battery case are you using?

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
What battery case are you using?
TAMO. I've had a number of MOTA battery cases (iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPhone 6) and they've all been great. Not crazy expensive. Nice quality. I only use them when I really need the extra power and go case-free otherwise so the looks of it aren't a huge concern (though they don't look bad, there are a couple that look a little better).

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Marketers are pretty liberal with words like "wireless". How is it wireless if the base itself requires a wire? To me, a phone that has to contact a wired base is still tethered during the process. True wireless charging would utilize radio waves rather than magnetic induction.

Natzoo

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
So with this case you can't use wired headphones at all.

Also if it can't do audio pass through USB then I'm assuming it's not possible to do CarPlay either. I truly miss having a mophie but they need to fix these issues first.
Same i always had a mophie for every iphone, i guess that email i sent out in August to include lightning connector didnt go through. Well i guess i can keep my 7+ on low power mode everyday still. I loved mophie....

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
More advanced wireless charging?
Yeah like roughly BT range or maybe slightly smaller. Like 10-20ft from a mini base station that is about the size of an iPad or MacBook charger on the wall for the first generation of AirPlug or whatever snazzy name they give it.

Naraxus

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2016
I pray for the day these things are no longer necessary due to Apple's realization that they: A:Can make a phone that isn't asininely thin and B; put a battery in it that doesn't require
Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 6.39.35 PM.png

Natzoo

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
This is a total fail, mophie should at least say publically why they did this. I really wanted a mophie :( but i need a place to plug in my headphones, i dont care if mophie releases a micro usb dongle to lightning :((

TheAppleFairy

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Yeah like roughly BT range or maybe slightly smaller. Like 10-20ft from a mini base station that is about the size of an iPad or MacBook charger on the wall for the first generation of AirPlug or whatever snazzy name they give it.
Gotcha, I saw some information about a company that was doing some wifi type charging but I didn't look into it that much. Knowing how transformers work and current induction technology they would have to do something completely different. It will be interesting to see what they come up with anyway.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
One of the uses for this would be long-haul flights, but without any way to connect a wired headphone it seems pointless. At least for me of course.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Gotcha, I saw some information about a company that was doing some wifi type charging but I didn't look into it that much. Knowing how transformers work and current induction technology they would have to do something completely different. It will be interesting to see what they come up with anyway.
Yeah there have been some stories on here about that and the company Apple is partnering with that does that type of stuff.

AppleB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
I like Mophie Cases had one for a 5S. Never got one for my 6Plus.
I'm giving this one a try

iPhone 7 Plus Battery Case,Ruky 7500mAh Protable Ultra Slim Extended Charging Backup Battery Case Rechargeable Power Bank Charging Case for iPhone 7 Plus - (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LY8PJ2K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_oP4sybF5X27FS

It uses Lighting but you can't use the headphones.
It's got a little weight but feels good in hand. It has a magnetic back which is good for my car holder.
It can be a little tricky removing it at first.
It charged me from 50% to 100% in about 90 minutes but I was using the phone while it was charging.
Based on the LED indicator there was about 75% left on the case battery.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I like Mophie Cases had one for a 5S. Never got one for my 6Plus.
I'm giving this one a try

iPhone 7 Plus Battery Case,Ruky 7500mAh Protable Ultra Slim Extended Charging Backup Battery Case Rechargeable Power Bank Charging Case for iPhone 7 Plus - (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LY8PJ2K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_oP4sybF5X27FS

It uses Lighting but you can't use the headphones.
It's got a little weight but feels good in hand. It has a magnetic back which is good for my car holder.
It can be a little tricky removing it at first.
It charged me from 50% to 100% in about 90 minutes but I was using the phone while it was charging.
Based on the LED indicator there was about 75% left on the case battery.
This is another huge fail.

Are 3rd party manufacturers just chasing to ignore Lightning audio, and then in the case of the iPhone 7 wired audio in general?

Or has Apple not published, and/or licensing, the specs to manufacturers to add a female Lightning port capable of supporting Lighting Audio?

As far as I know, only Apple and Belkin offer female Lightning ports that support Lightning audio. In fact, this link you just provided is one of the few MFi products I've ever seen with a female Lightning port. Wait -- is this a MFi product? If not that would explain why it doesn't support Lightning audio, as the Chinese know-offs tend to only support charging since they don't obtain MFi licenses with support for the more complicated data functions.

Jzomom

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2017
I love the case for battery life but my down volume button won't work. I got a replacement and new one won't work either. Volume button works just fine without case or with my other simple speck case. Anyone else having this issue ? Ideas on fixing or just try again with a replacement ?

Natzoo

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
I love the case for battery life but my down volume button won't work. I got a replacement and new one won't work either. Volume button works just fine without case or with my other simple speck case. Anyone else having this issue ? Ideas on fixing or just try again with a replacement ?
Yes i thought something was wrong with my phone for the longest time. I just ended up returning the product, i cant wait for a replacement, just bought a apple leather case (already peeling off :( )

Jzomom

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2017
I would keep trying for replacement since fresh out of the box it won't work... if I knew anyone had one that works??

whsbuss

macrumors 68040
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
So with this case you can't use wired headphones at all.

Also if it can't do audio pass through USB then I'm assuming it's not possible to do CarPlay either. I truly miss having a mophie but they need to fix these issues first.
Do you know if that is true? Has anyone tried CarPlay with this case yet? I asked Mophie and they said it depends on the vehicle make and their implementation of CarPlay.

EDIT: I tried it in a Ford Explorer with MS Sync and it worked the same as with a standard lightning cable. That's encouraging.

Last edited:
Reactions: OnTheZone
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.