Mophie Launches Juice Pack Air Battery Case With Wireless Charging for iPhone 7 and 7 Plus

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 6, 2016.

1. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

More advanced wireless charging?

2. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Why the ************ isn't the charger a lightning cable.

I hate Micro USB.

3. adrian348 macrumors newbie

What battery case are you using?

4. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

TAMO. I've had a number of MOTA battery cases (iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPhone 6) and they've all been great. Not crazy expensive. Nice quality. I only use them when I really need the extra power and go case-free otherwise so the looks of it aren't a huge concern (though they don't look bad, there are a couple that look a little better).

5. Defthand macrumors 65816

Marketers are pretty liberal with words like "wireless". How is it wireless if the base itself requires a wire? To me, a phone that has to contact a wired base is still tethered during the process. True wireless charging would utilize radio waves rather than magnetic induction.

6. ZebraDude macrumors 65816

ZebraDude

well I had one of these Mophie Air cases for my iPhone 6 plus and last summer it was very warm and the battery expanded in the case making it REALLY hard to get the case off. Very scary!!!

7. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

Same i always had a mophie for every iphone, i guess that email i sent out in August to include lightning connector didnt go through. Well i guess i can keep my 7+ on low power mode everyday still. I loved mophie....

8. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Yeah like roughly BT range or maybe slightly smaller. Like 10-20ft from a mini base station that is about the size of an iPad or MacBook charger on the wall for the first generation of AirPlug or whatever snazzy name they give it.

9. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

I pray for the day these things are no longer necessary due to Apple's realization that they: A:Can make a phone that isn't asininely thin and B; put a battery in it that doesn't require Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 6.39.35 PM.png

10. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

This is a total fail, mophie should at least say publically why they did this. I really wanted a mophie :( but i need a place to plug in my headphones, i dont care if mophie releases a micro usb dongle to lightning :((

11. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Gotcha, I saw some information about a company that was doing some wifi type charging but I didn't look into it that much. Knowing how transformers work and current induction technology they would have to do something completely different. It will be interesting to see what they come up with anyway.

12. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

One of the uses for this would be long-haul flights, but without any way to connect a wired headphone it seems pointless. At least for me of course.

13. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Yeah there have been some stories on here about that and the company Apple is partnering with that does that type of stuff.

14. FelixDerKater macrumors 68030

FelixDerKater

Are they just trying to save royalties by never using a Lightning pass-through?

15. AppleB macrumors 6502a

AppleB

I like Mophie Cases had one for a 5S. Never got one for my 6Plus.
    I'm giving this one a try

iPhone 7 Plus Battery Case,Ruky 7500mAh Protable Ultra Slim Extended Charging Backup Battery Case Rechargeable Power Bank Charging Case for iPhone 7 Plus - (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LY8PJ2K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_oP4sybF5X27FS

It uses Lighting but you can't use the headphones.
    It's got a little weight but feels good in hand. It has a magnetic back which is good for my car holder.
    It can be a little tricky removing it at first.
    It charged me from 50% to 100% in about 90 minutes but I was using the phone while it was charging.
    Based on the LED indicator there was about 75% left on the case battery.

16. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

This is another huge fail.

Are 3rd party manufacturers just chasing to ignore Lightning audio, and then in the case of the iPhone 7 wired audio in general?

Or has Apple not published, and/or licensing, the specs to manufacturers to add a female Lightning port capable of supporting Lighting Audio?

As far as I know, only Apple and Belkin offer female Lightning ports that support Lightning audio. In fact, this link you just provided is one of the few MFi products I've ever seen with a female Lightning port. Wait -- is this a MFi product? If not that would explain why it doesn't support Lightning audio, as the Chinese know-offs tend to only support charging since they don't obtain MFi licenses with support for the more complicated data functions.

17. Jzomom macrumors newbie

Jzomom

I love the case for battery life but my down volume button won't work. I got a replacement and new one won't work either. Volume button works just fine without case or with my other simple speck case. Anyone else having this issue ? Ideas on fixing or just try again with a replacement ?

18. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

Yes i thought something was wrong with my phone for the longest time. I just ended up returning the product, i cant wait for a replacement, just bought a apple leather case (already peeling off :( )

19. Jzomom macrumors newbie

Jzomom

I would keep trying for replacement since fresh out of the box it won't work... if I knew anyone had one that works??

20. rellimie macrumors member

rellimie

If not lightning they could have at least made it USB-C.

21. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Why? Apple didn't bother on the Beats Solo3, or PowerBeats 3.

22. whsbuss, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017

whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Do you know if that is true? Has anyone tried CarPlay with this case yet? I asked Mophie and they said it depends on the vehicle make and their implementation of CarPlay.

EDIT: I tried it in a Ford Explorer with MS Sync and it worked the same as with a standard lightning cable. That's encouraging.

23. nicky123456 macrumors newbie

nicky123456

so how do you shut this case off when phone is at 100 percent