Mophie vs Maxboost vs iBattz Mojo Refuel for iphone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by holyindian, Jun 28, 2013.

1. holyindian macrumors 6502

hey guys, been over a year now... and looks like the iphone battery is not lasting as long as it used to months back. hence need a new battery case.. not able to decide between Mophie vs Maxboost vs iBattz Mojo for iphone 5.

I like the design of maxboost.. wherein u dont have to carry the battery attached to the case all the time.. and can be individually be used with just the snap-on case.. but has qa issues. iBattz has some great feature of adding external battery to the case, they recently started shipping out the case, hence not a lot of takers... and mophie is tried and tested by several ppl.. but the lighter cases are lower powered in terms of mah's compared to ibattz and maxboost.

Here's the link for iBattz Mojo Refuel case.
    http://ibattz.augustusenterprises.com/mojo-refuel

Here is maxboost fusion
    http://www.maxboostpower.com/shop/maxboost-fusion-detachable-iphone-5-battery-case-bgry/

Here is mophie air plus
    http://www.mophie.com/mophie-juice-pack-air-iPhone-5-p/2105_jpa-ip5-blk.htm

Please help decide

2. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Why? You've laid out the differences. Pick one.

3. maxosx macrumors 68020

I simply speak from first hand experience with Mophie. I've used them on each of my iPhones 4, 4S and 5.

The well known model: Juice Pack Air is what I'm currently using and it's just terrific. Fit and finish are outstanding and it truly doubles my battery life.

Ergonomically it's the most comfortable of all, and makes the phone feel better than without the Mophie, at least in my experience.

I use my smartphones very heavily and thus far the only one that comes close to meeting my needs (stock out of the box) is my new Galaxy S4. It's battery life is pretty amazing.

4. holyindian thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, but I need reviews from first hand users... not just thoughts based on my research.

Thanks, that kind of feedback helps... atleast now i know that mophie juice pack air does what it delivers.

Asking other members on their feedback on the other cases now.

5. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I have the max boost atomic air for iPhone 5. I like the protection (has a lip for tables) and it has a 2400 mah battery rather than a 2000 mah on the mophie. I got 120% extra battery out of the case. The feel of it has like a rough but slippery smooth feel to it. It is also 70$ rather than 120$. The iPhone charges to 100% then the case charges. The package comes with a micro usb cable and a headphone jack extender. The case has many color choices.
    Ask for more info if you want...

Maxboost Atomic Air External Protective iPhone 5 Battery Case - Matte Black / Blue ( Fits All Versions of iPhone 5 - Lightning Connector Output, MicroUSB Input )
    http://amzn.com/B00CMY0DTU

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

6. holyindian thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your response. Max boost has released a fusion version of the case that can be used without the battery but just the snap on case, I like the fact that max boost is 2200 mah, it's definitely more than mophie but for the same cos Ibattz gives option for two removable batteries. Anyone tried that yet?

7. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I think the maxboost atomic air(link above) would be easier to use rather than the ibattz that has a cable to plug from the battery to the iPhone. Im guessing that the mophie is off your list?.
    Maxboost is cheaper, slimmer and more known on amazon.
    Have any questions about the maxboost atomic air, just ask me.

8. holyindian thread starter macrumors 6502

Mophie is off the list as their battery is less powered compared to the other two options plus the cost is not justified.
    Ibattz does not need cable. Have a look at the video below the case really looks cool
    http://youtu.be/1Q-pgkTd85A

9. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I was looking at this picture:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372553042.552806.jpg
    ibattz Mojo Hi5 iPhone 5 Battery Case - Protective Snap-on Case and Detachable External Rechargeable Battery (Silver , 2500 mAh , Fits all version of iPhone 5)
    http://amzn.com/B009WOUGDQ
    Post your link to the product your looking at.

10. holyindian thread starter macrumors 6502

No, no that's some old obsolete version. I was talking about this one
    http://www.ibattz.com/products_power_refuel.php?m=d

Also look at this YouTube video
    http://youtu.be/1Q-pgkTd85A

11. maxosx macrumors 68020

Based on past experience, high quality of materials, fit & finish as well as excellent tactile feedback and functionality of the covered buttons, are some of the reasons I chose the Mophie. My guess is the premium price is due to those factors. Additionally if it matters, Mophie is the only one that is Apple approved.

That said, I have taken some time to study the others, which previously I was unaware of. Here's my take.

The iBattz seems to have one potentially big problem and that's how deeply recessed the buttons seem to be. The buttons on the Mophie Air are covered and therefore protrude out, just the same amount as the buttons on the iPhone without any case on it. For daily use this is a big deal.

There's a similar issue on the Maxboost Fusion, but it doesn't appear that the buttons are as deeply recessed. The problem I see with the Fusion, is that the top of the phone is not protected. That's a big problem if dropped.

I'm very careful and thus far have not dropped mine. However my wife has and she also has the iPhone 5 with Mophie Air as I do. Hers survived the drop to the pavement from chest high with nothing more than a small scratch on the lower right corner. It's an amazing testimony to Mophie's durable material and design.

Regarding battery capacity, in my case my only goal was to get a full 14 hour day out of my iPhone and the Air easily does that with very heavy usage of all types, messaging. Web browsing, Video, Audio etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for Mophie, just sharing my experience.

12. Zmanbaseball2, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013

Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

The maxboost atomic air(known as the maxboost defender said on the packaging) has protection all around rather than the fusion which doesn't on top.
    I don't like the removable battery of the ibattz.

13. TC25 macrumors 68020

Yes, it's much more convenient to have to either take the case off or leave your phone/case to charge than just swap batteries.

Sent from my MBA using my fingers.

14. maxosx macrumors 68020

When it comes to charging, I find the recharge time of my Mophie Juice Pack Air to be very fast. Amazingly so. As a result I haven't removed the phone from it since the day it arrived.

One reason besides the fast recharge, is the very nice ergonomics which make it very comfortable to hold. Additionally the semi matte colored soft touch material doesn't attract pocket lint. Mophie's years of experience show.

15. holyindian thread starter macrumors 6502

You are tilting my focus towards mophie now. All ur points are very much valid and holds logic. One of the most important aspect is the integrated buttons on the mophie as compared to recessed cutouts in the max boost and ibattz, also that mophie looks and feels richer compared to other options. Does ur mophie hold power throughout the day? I stream music over spotify over the cars Bluetooth, I do a lot of facebooking, YouTube ect. And my phone is out by 3-4 pm

16. maxosx macrumors 68020

I use mine during the week, while traveling for business, as a laptop replacement even though I always carry my 13" 2012 MBA. Often I'm standing in lines at the airport or otherwise working constantly in many small blocks of time between appointments, therefore a smartphone is ideal. Emails, messages, Intranet via VPN to my office, editing of Google Docs and other truly mission critical work.

On the job so to speak 14-16 hr days, the Mophie runs strong from 5am till I'm back in the hotel around 10pm. Nothing else has served me so ideally. Handling a heavy call volume as well it's been perfectly reliable. That alone is worth any price difference. Only because I'm so picky does fit, finish & ergonomics matter so much. In a suit, the Mophie in business black is quite appropriate & doesn't draw any unwanted attention.

17. mophie macrumors newbie

mophie

We agree with this individual. Mophie for sure, holyindian.

18. LoloBond macrumors 6502

I recently got the Mophie Juice Pack and didn't like it the fact that it only charged the phone to 80% when they claim 100% was not worth it IMO. I exchange it thinking it was a bad unit same thing. I end up returning it. Also front protection is not that good. Another thing I didn't like in the white version is that you have to be clean it a LOT. The black one looks better and have a better grip, but my phone is white and black doesn't look that good.

If you get one, get the 120% so you can at least get a full charge.

19. joekim1026 macrumors regular

I like the ikit nucharge by shark

I have it and it's probably one of the smallest battery cases around!

It's definitely smaller than the ones you posted and it doesn't have that covering on the bottom or the top!

20. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

im also trying to find a good battery pack for my iPhone 5..... im leaning towards the Mophie

21. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Maxboost one is cheaper, comes in many colors, doubles battery. I have the maxboost atomic air.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2

22. matneh macrumors regular

You're missing one new option, the UNU DX 5. http://www.myunu.com/dx-protective-iphone-5-battery-case.html

I have it (was on pre-order since February, and it FINALLY shipped). It looks to be similar to the Mophie, with one important advantage: it can sync and charge through the Micro USB port (Mophie cannot).

It has cutouts for the buttons which I actually prefer. I'll post more impressions later as I get a chance to use it.

23. jm001 macrumors 6502a

jm001

I have the Mophie Air for my iPhone 5 and I did have the Mophie for my iPhone 4 and I was never disappointed with either off them. I own a Pebble and constantly use it with, of course my iPhone. I need to have the Bluetooth on all the time and as you know BT can seriously affect your battery when in use. With the Mophie Air I stay at 100% from 8 a.m. to about 6 p.m. with moderate use (playing games, checking e-mails, texting, surfing sites, etc.). I can go till 8 p.m. if only checking e-mails, texting and checking sites. It only takes about 2 - 3 hours to fully charge the Mophie again and it charges the iPhone at the same time using the micro USB cable. However, one caveat is unlike the previous Mophies, this one CAN'T sync your phone with iTunes. You need to either go wireless syncing or remove the iPhone to physically connect it to your computer.

I am thinking of switching to iBattz since it would be easier to simply switch batteries on the go rather than recharging or hoping the iPhone's battery can last the rest of the night (let's say I'm on an overnight trip). Also I read that with the iBattz refuel it will sync your iPhone to iTunes. No need to go wireless syncing or remove it. I was also interested in iBattz's rugged version "Armor". It's like iBattz and Otterbox had a baby.

24. matneh macrumors regular

Yes, Ibattz and UNU support sync and charge at the same time.

25. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

So does maxboost BTW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2