Mophie's Upcoming Juice Pack Air is First Qi-Certified iPhone X Charging Case

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 5, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Accessory company Mophie has applied to the Wireless Power Consortium for an accessory it calls the "Juice Pack Air for iPhone X." Spotted by Mac Otakara [Google Translate] in the WPC's Qi Certified Product Database, Mophie was granted a certification for the accessory today, March 5, suggesting the iPhone X accessory could be announced in the near future and then be available to purchase sometime later this year.

While there are already iPhone X battery cases on the market, Mophie's accessory is the first to be Qi-certified by the WPC. This certification program encourages manufacturers to submit verification that their products comply with the latest Qi specifications, and subsequently allows customers more peace of mind when purchasing products, knowing that they will support devices like the iPhone X, 8, and 8 Plus.

[​IMG]
    Image of Juice Pack Air for iPhone X via Wireless Power Consortium

The Juice Pack Air for iPhone X is described as a "form fitting case for the iPhone X," with a 1,720 mAh battery that provides "an additional 9 hours of talk time." Comparatively, the Juice Pack Air for iPhone 7 has a 2,525 mAh battery and the iPhone 7 Plus accessory has a 2,420 mAh battery. In the sole image posted to the Wireless Power Consortium's product details page (seen to the left in the above image), the accessory appears in black. Mophie sells similar Juice Pack Air products for other iPhones in up to five colors, like Navy and Rose Gold, so other colors could be coming as well.

Like those products, Mophie's Juice Pack Air for iPhone X would let users charge up the battery inside the case, and when their iPhone X begins to die, they could flip a switch and begin fueling up the iPhone while on the go. The Juice Pack line is compatible with Mophie's "Charge Force" ecosystem, so it can be placed on accessories like the Charge Force Desk Mount or any other Qi-enabled mat.

[​IMG]
    Mophie's Juice Pack Air for iPhone X (left) compared to iPhone 7 (right)

Mophie currently sells Juice Pack accessories for the iPhone 7/7 Plus, 6s/6s Plus, 6/6 Plus, SE, 5s, and 5, as well as a few other Android devices, typically priced at around $100. The only wireless charging accessories it has listed on the iPhone X's page are the Wireless Charging Base (also sold on Apple.com), the Charge Force Wireless Charging Base, and Charge Force Powerstation.

Article Link: Mophie's Upcoming Juice Pack Air is First Qi-Certified iPhone X Charging Case

2. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Ok, so question- I have an iPhone 7 Plus with a wireless charging case. Will that work with Airpower?

3. WhatdoIkn0w4now macrumors member

I've owned a morphie, nothing wrong with them or special either......simply not worth the 2-3x premium they charge. FYI to those who don't know...Battery cases have entered the era of "no-name" brands being the mainstream choice.

4. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

I wouldn't mind a battery case for the X, but I want it super thin and sleek. Mophie is just way too bulky and ugly.

5. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

So it's a battery pack that wirelessly charges your phone but it's already attached to your phone?

So...why not just connect to the charging port?

6. darioniz macrumors newbie

darioniz

To keep the only port on your phone free for other accessories like... headphones?

7. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Theirs looks great but the price is hard to swallow. For the couple times a year that I need a charger case, I'll opt for the $30 one and call it good.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 5, 2018 ---
    You're misunderstanding. The case itself can be charged wirelessly. To power the phone, the case does so through the Lightning port.

It'd be really pointless to charge the phone itself wirelessly from the case as it's much slower and there's more power loss via wireless than direct through the Lightning port.

8. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    I know it's not this but anyone aware of a battery + (drop) shockproof WITH headphone jack case for the X yet? For years, the UNU cases were pretty good for battery + shockproof but they don't seem to have an X case yet.

Edit (google is my friend too): https://powerpluscases.com/products...-extender-case-w-3-5mm-headphone-jack-3400mah I wonder if these work fairly well. Anyone with any experience with these?

9. DocerZ macrumors newbie

By the time Mophie gets this case to market...the next iPhone will have been released.

10. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Hopefully someone, in the near future can release a case with wireless charging & a lightning port

11. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

The worst part about Mophie is how long they take to release their iPhone cases. It’s been 4 months since the release of the iPhone X and they still haven’t announced anything. I was very interested in buying one a couple of months ago since I’ve had one for previous iPhones but at this point I’m over it. It seems a waste to buy one now, especially since there are rumors of an X Plus which will have a different form factor. The battery on my X isn’t terrible anyway so I think I’ll be fine without case.

12. ACST Suspended

That's not possible, you need the space for batteries. There's not all of a sudden some magic technique that can shrink batteries.

13. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

Plenty of battery cases for the X on amazon that are much.. much sleeker then these.

14. jacjustjac macrumors regular

jacjustjac

My real concern about this is heat. My iPhone X gets hotter wirelessly charging at 7.5W than it does wired at 12W. Add in iCloud Photo Library uploads while on WiFi, and I can see this killing your battery permanently if you were say, charging this case wirelessly which was also charging your phone wirelessly while your phone started uploading to iCloud. All that conversion of currents in a tiny device wrapped in a plastic case... oh my.

15. springsup macrumors 65816

springsup

I was wondering that, too. Your version makes much more sense.

16. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Eh, I'll stick with my trusty Anker portable batteries.

17. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

I thought this was about the Mophie case charging the iPhone through Qi, rather than plugging in to its Lightning port. To me, that would make more sense and would get rid of the case's big chin. The only advantage I see in charging the charger wirelessly is that you'd never need to take off the case.

18. lenard macrumors 6502

The iPhone X is the first iPhone I have had that has the best battery life. On a busy day I end up with more than 50 percent of battery left. Not even thinking about a battery case. The iPhone X has some weight to it and a battery case will increase that and the size of the phone with the case on it.

19. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I wonder how Morphie (and battery cases in general) are doing this year, what with Apple offering $30 battery replacements...

In the past, that was the reason I bought a battery case. Went 2-3 years without a case, then put on a battery case to get another year or two out of the phone before replacing it. This time around, I'm just replacing the battery on my 6+ and expect to use it case free for another year or two before replacing the phone entirely...

20. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

I'm just glad that my use case makes this unnecessary. It is seldom that when I charge my phone at the end of the day that it is less than 50%.

But for those who have long commutes and/or watch lots of videos, or actually use the phone part of the phone, this looks like a nice accessory.

21. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

didn't mind the one i got for my iPhone 6 since my battery was taking a crap. though the issue i didn't like was the micro-USB. no lightning port? I don't see myself needing one at the moment.

22. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Because sometimes you are in situation where you can't plug in.

23. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

does this support a lightning cable or does it require the user to charge via micro/C-usb?

24. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It doesn’t change that this is an incredibly niche product for a particular demographic. I don’t see this product being wildly popular based on Price point, it adds weight and thickness, but this would more suited for heavy iPhone users who can overlook the other factor listed.

25. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

Reminds me of Henge Docks, when the original retina MPB was released they blogged about getting theirs and being hard at work on a dock for the device. I stopped checking in about 2015 and they still hadn't released it. I vaguely recall they shifted to a completely different design after three years of working on the first dock. Unbelievable failure of leadership, that's the type of thing you clear house over.