Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ZDNet Blogs recap a new research note by Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster who essentially recaps the running rumors about the ultra-portable Mac that is expected at Macworld Expo.
Although we were anticipating an “ultra-portable” device with an 8″-11″ screen, our checks indicate the screen will likely be 11″-13.” That said, we continue to expect the “ultra-portable” MacBook to be Apple’s thinnest and lightest ever. It will likely be priced between the $1,099 consumer level MacBook and the $1,999 MacBook Pro. One contributor to the smaller form factor could be the use of NAND-based solid state storage. In Nov. Samsung introduced a 64GB drive, which we believe Apple would consider large enough to include in a new portable.

Article Link

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
$1,099 - 1,999 still leaves the regular MacBook with room to breath. I really don't expect it to be cheaper then the BlackBook.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
The 64GB drive is also ridiculously expensive. Apple likes margins.

16GB is too small, 32GB will be the only option until April when the 64GB becomes BTO for a hefty sum more.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
2x 16GB flash (the same chip that will be used in the 16GB iPhone) and a 1.8" hd is one possible configuration. Cheap and small, will wake up really quick, be energy efficient and potentially could perform well (ie. levels of storage like L1, L2 cache, just extended further out into the architecture).

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
"Our checks" ?

Anyone off the street already makes those predictions. What makes the analyst so special? All he is doing is looking at rumor sites.

-=|Mgkwho

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone off the street already makes those predictions. What makes the analyst so special? All he is doing is looking at rumor sites.
The difference is that analysts are more visible and put their reputations behind their predictions and analysis. Presumably, they have industry experience and insight that make their analyses more than mere guesswork. Note the "presumably."

If they are correct, their reputation benefits. If not, their reputation heads the other way.

Their track records stay visible more that the rest of us. While we slink back into the shadows after our false predictions, they have to live or die by theirs.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
I have all my media on a 250gb External Drive, which I connect to via Airport. So 32gb would be just perfect for me. Some pictures, School Stuff. etc....

I'll be at Macworld this year, really looking forward to it.

Manatee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
I can't wait to get mine. I hope a 64GB SSHD is available from day one, as that would be just right for me.

$1999 with 64GB SSHD and 2GB RAM would be great. I'd pay more if I had to. As long as there's a USB port for my EV-DO card, I'm ready to roll! :)

I could really use this thing for my meetings this afternoon.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The difference is that analysts are more visible and put their reputations behind their predictions and analysis. Presumably, they have industry experience and insight that make their analyses more than mere guesswork. Note the "presumably."

If they are correct, their reputation benefits. If not, their reputation heads the other way.

Their track records stay visible more that the rest of us. While we slink back into the shadows after our false predictions, they have to live or die by theirs.

Perhaps ideally, but this report is literally a rehash of our rumor roundup.

arn

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
While we slink back into the shadows after our false predictions, they have to live or die by theirs.

Wow, Doc, if you took a look at the Analyst guide, you'd know that's not true. Look at the track record of these schmucks. They're wrong more often than right. I've seen the typical PowerBook G5 idiots have more accurate predictions than these analysts.

As for rumors like the iPhone and sub-notebook, people have been predicting these items since iPhone.org was discovered and the 12" PB was killed, respectively. Eventually, one who predicts these things will be right.

And thank you, Arn, not only for putting this guy in his place for (basically) copying your rumor roundup, but also for putting this on Page 2.

I hope that people will soon start to realize these guys are no different than anyone else here, except that they get paid to BS about upcoming Apple products.

I guarantee that a collection of this board's finest minds could come up with more accurate and more intelligent predictions than these analysts.

-Clive

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
But usually the hype and what Apple actually releases are two different things, Apple will release an ultra portable but the specs are really anyone's guess.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
Piper/Gene...

Piper Jaffray/Gene Munster have traditionally been much more accurate than most Apple analysts, at least when it comes to predicting Apple's future successes. I think it's worth giving Gene the benefit of the doubt. And no, I seriously doubt he's "just reading rumor sites."

nmamur

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2006
new york
i just really hope they have enough room in that thing for a decent graphics card, or else it would just be a smaller macbook to me.

Ill take anything really, as long as its not one of those horrible integrated cards thats stink up the macbook.

jdsony

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
All this news about an ultra-portable or new Macbook. It would be nice to see but for me I'm waiting on a new Macbook Pro because I plan on replacing my aging laptop and my PC with a single notebook. An ultra-portable while cool is best suited for someone with less power hungry needs or someone with more than one computer.

Ade977

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2007
I'm hoping Apple will offer an option to choose either a ~150GB hard disk drive or SSD, similar to what Dell offers with their XPS series. I'll gladly trade a few extra minutes of battery life for the ability to store more information and on a more reliable source. This is my first post, so I'm going to state what I'm hoping for, just if anybody wants to compare, and for those who don't, stop reading. I'm really looking forward to this, as it'll not only be my first Mac, but it'll be a laptop I can actually take with me everywhere since right now I (regretfully) have a mammoth 17" Sony Vaio I purchased about three years ago that dies on me after being disconnected for about 35 minutes :rolleyes:

- gunmetal/black aluminum finish, similar to new iPod Nano and Classic, respectively (I'm assuming that's what those rumors were relating to, if they are true)
- ~13" LED screen with thin bezel
- no optical drive since I personally don't have much use for it
- at least 2GB RAM
- NO multi-touch, just traditional keyboard and touchpad (I'm not too worried about that one)
- decent battery (would like at least 3 hours of average work)
- 150GB+ hard disk drive
- good processor (just so I can do Photoshop stuff and play StarCraft II when it comes out)

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
I'm hoping Apple will offer an option to choose either a ~150GB hard disk drive or SSD, similar to what Dell offers with their XPS series. I'll gladly trade a few extra minutes of battery life for the ability to store more information and on a more reliable source. This is my first post, so I'm going to state what I'm hoping for, just if anybody wants to compare, and for those who don't, stop reading. I'm really looking forward to this, as it'll not only be my first Mac, but it'll be a laptop I can actually take with me everywhere since right now I (regretfully) have a mammoth 17" Sony Vaio I purchased about three years ago that dies on me after being disconnected for about 35 minutes :rolleyes:

A high quality SSD will provide a much greater benefit than just a few extra minutes of battery life, especially if compared to a 1.8" 4200rpm drive, (assuming apple would use a 1.8" to keep size down) as those things are clunky and slooooooow.
And contrary to what you stated above, SSDs generally are much more reliable than a consumer grade SATA HDD as measured in the standard mean-time-between-failure (hours).
The only problem is that many people would like more storage than can be provided by solid state alone. Although Apple would surely receive a huge quantity discount, last time I checked SSDs were still retailing for $15-$25+ /GB so I think it would be nearly impossible for Apple to use a 64GB drive and price this under $2500....

- gunmetal/black aluminum finish, similar to new iPod Nano and Classic, respectively (I'm assuming that's what those rumors were relating to, if they are true)
- ~13" LED screen with thin bezel
- no optical drive since I personally don't have much use for it
- at least 2GB RAM
- NO multi-touch, just traditional keyboard and touchpad (I'm not too worried about that one)
- decent battery (would like at least 3 hours of average work)
- 150GB+ hard disk drive
- good processor (just so I can do Photoshop stuff and play StarCraft II when it comes out)
[/QUOTE]

I think if they use an intel 45nm chip, they could get away using one of the new "medium-voltage" ~25TDP chips and still keep decent battery life. Alas, most of these subnotebooks are for the many that don't need a real powerful laptop, and value battery life/heat output much higher.. So I can see apple putting in an Intel Ultra Low Voltage (ULV) chip which unfortunately are pretty slow...

Can you folks just not let this stupid concept go already?!?

Why would you want a smaller screen, less storage space, lower data throughput performance, and an external box optical drive you'd have to remember to take with you "just in case"? I'm sorry, but this whole notion is just so counter-intuitive and retarded. Apple should be learning lessons from Sony on this one. It's just a problematic solution looking for a problem to solve.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
^^

Thread 500 anyone?

Just because you're content lugging around a laptop with the footprint of bigfoot doesn't mean the rest of us professionally-minded people don't want a classy looking computer that is both portable and convenient to bring everywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.