More and more people going for blackberry!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yalag, Mar 15, 2009.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

Ive noticed more and more of my friends are switching from their iPhones to blackberries. I'm saddened by this but they do have a point. I asked them what they like about blackberry and they told me about a messaging system where they can message each other free of charge. With SMS costing a lot and the lack of IM on the iPhone I guess it is better.

I also asked them about all the stuff they will miss about their iPhones. Things like iPod, the UI, the appstore. Apparently those are nice and all but it's something they can live without. Appstore to them is mostly about shet and giggles. Anyone else seeing this new trend?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's slightly ironic that this thread was right next to this other thread when I clicked on new posts... it looks like RIM and Apple are both growing quite well, although it looks like Samsung is an even bigger success story.

What's striking to me is how many phones I see now i people's hands that are using touch interfaces that work at least loosely like Apple's does. I see lots of G1s (Android) in Chicago, and a number of various other things like the ones LG and Samsung make and the touchscreen BB. But I see lots of the newer, prettier QWERTY phones, too, like the BB Bold and others.

3. Tate macrumors member

It's not realy a new trend. It is call BB messenger and it is part of the data package that you pay for from BB. That is one of the things that I will miss about my BB curve. But I wanted to try something different so I got an IPhone 3g. It is pretty cool to have though. It's kind of like yahoo messenger but for BB only.

4. nconnella macrumors regular

This doesn't really help if your a single line, but if you have multiple phones on one account ATT has the family text plan. $30 for unlimited texting up to 5 lines. We have 5 lines on our account so that works out pretty good for unlimited texting for all of us.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

your friends are not looking hardenough at the app store.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

:confused: What about AOL IM? Or Fring?

Or any of the other iPhone instant message apps?

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

What about people who don't want to be bothered with signing on to some crappy service just to receive messages?

Find a new argument. A native messenger for mobile OSX would be great.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

E-Mail?

(I guess some folks set it to manual-check...kind of their problem, then, I guess.)

9. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Or how about a "Blackberry Messenger" like native iPhone messenger??

I fail to see why people are so against this idea. Personally, I strive to have as few apps installed on my phone as I can stand. I haven't used AIM, Yahoo chat, MSN, or any other messenger since high school. I did, however, use my BB messenger with the few people who had it when I used my Pearl. It's a nice feature. There's no reason NOT to have it. Plus I know a helluva lot more people with iPhones than I do with Blackberries.

10. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

yup.. same here. family plan FTW

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Who said that? I'm not opposed to the iPhone having it.

I'm just saying it seems like a weird reason to switch phones.

Kind of like how I'd enjoy a video-recording app on my iPhone, but I'm not going to switch to another phone to get it.

I just find it odd that all of his friends are switching to blackberries for that reason alone.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Have your friends tried any of the IM apps in the app store. AOL, beejive, fringe...

13. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

C'mon, people that pay the amount of money for an Iphone, cannot afford text messages?

14. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

but see the problem is it doesnt run in the background whats the point of it if you got a sms or want to change music you have to exit out of the app and not receive notifications when i compare that to my blackberry the iphone fails it doesnt seem to have good functionality but when push comes it will be just as good :D

15. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

This thread is a good example of trolls feeding troll.

16. IamHermann0069 macrumors member

IamHermann0069

Absolutely NO reason to switch.....

Have you noticed that all of these new phones (blackberry, LG, Samsung etc) are all TRYING very hard to mimic the iPhone. You say that your friends switch because they have the same features as iPhone, but they don't. They have features that are somewhat similar, but are not as clean/easy to use as the iphone. I have played around with many of the other touch screen phones and they do not compare. Have you noticed that all of these "other" phone users are always comparing them to the iPhone, and trying to point things out that are the same. This is because no matter what.... Apple set the bar!

That is like saying get rid of your Macbook Pro and go buy a dell! It just does not make sense. iPhones are the smoothest running phones on the market. Nothing else even compares!

17. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Unverified anecdotal evidence. n=1

I've personally seen lots of people with Blackberries get iPhones. They're stuck on their Crackberry till their work changes IT policy, but that is being seen to happen. The smartphone market is expanding, so there are some new customers to both companies.

As for a free messaging system - er, yeah. Email? IM over wifi?
    The App Store isn't just sheet and giggles - that's a slur. I'd likely say that the Enterprise is oging to have much more soon, if the rumored High end apps App Store section is coming in.

18. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

This subforum is an example of trolls feeding troll. :D

19. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

same here, it's an endless cycle isn't it? :D

Personally who gives a cr@p what ppl use. To each their own. If a BB works for them, so be it, if an iPhone works then so be it. Heck I know some people that use old flip phone because "it works and I don't see a need to change" and that's ok with me. I don't get paid by Apple or RIM to sell their products so I could care less as long as I can give them a buzz.

I mean if 'all my friends' started drinking tainted kool-aid when a meteor passes by the earth doesn't mean I'm gonna join them. It just doesn't work for me, I don't believe in the mother ship.

20. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I've use blackberry messenger and it's a fantastic app. Apple should definitely add something similar for the iPhone.

It's free with a data plan on all blackberries. It's a fantastic messaging system with delivered/read receipts built-in as well as file transfers. You can send any video, pictures, address book vcard, etc, to another blackberry with ease. Runs in the background so you never have to open it up and you never have to login.

I run a small sms package instead of unlimited thanks to this gem. (Most of my main contacts all use blackberries).

Having an iPhone exclusive messaging systems can be very beneficial for the platform, just like it is for the blackberry.

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

That would be too easy. I'd say they're all trying very hard to be better than the iPhone.

That's when things can get complicated. As Apple already knows, since they're being forced into making theirs better as well.

22. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

No, it's not "free" with the data plan. It's the basis of the data plan, and it's what you pay monthly for. Please don't mischaracterize it as "free."

In any case, Blackberry's messaging platofrm is a lot like Nextel's Direct Connect. It's a closed, proprietary system. Even if Apple came out with its own similar messaging app, chances are slim to none that it would be interoperable with RIM's network. Unless of course, you want data rates to go up even further so that RIM can get its share of iPhone data-plan-pie.

But quite frankly, as a former Blackberry user, I don't miss BB messaging. Apple would be better suited rolling out push for apps, so that instant messaging platforms would work better. Let's hope 3.0 offers this.

23. aok1975 macrumors 6502

I have $5 for 200 messages which is a ripoff. I understand people not wanting to pay $20 for unlimited, its daylight robbery. As time progresses technology should get cheaper not more expensive as text messaging has done. On my first cellphone on voicestream (prepaid) I could text message all I want with no extra charges, it was completely free.

24. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

BB Messenger is less about the service that's offered (threaded, always-on, instant messages) and more about the "exclusivity" of the service - a private, BB-only club. Whether you think it's silly or not, this is a very appealing feature to some people. I think Apple would win over a lot of BB users if they developed a similar, iPhone-only IM system.

25. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

the fact is their switching
    they already bought iPhones
    Apple already got their money from them

that contributes to why its the most popular phone in America right now
    people buy it. Wether or not they stick with it only affects how much money Apple can get from the appstore (based on how much ive spent in it, id say they still make a fair bit of profit)
    perhaps they'll regret their decision when they see 3.0