More Apple iPhone Evidence? 4th Quarter 2006?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Mar 19, 2006.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

According to Mobileread, Barron's online published an online exclusive (subscription required) reporting on comments by Johnny Chan, a Hong Kong based J.P. Morgan analyst, about the looming possibility of an Apple iPhone.

Last week, a Piper Jaffary analyst claimed they felt there was a 75% chance that Apple would release an iPhone in the next 12 months.

The J.P. Morgan reports adds a bit more substance to that claim. According to the article, Apple is working on "an iPod with phone functions" and is shopping around for a electronics manufacturer. Meanwhile, Taiwan Green Point Enterprises, the current manufacturer for the iPod plastic cases is also said to be in talks with Apple about the phone.

2. menziep macrumors 6502a

Im in need of a mobile phone soon

So Come On Apple...

3. ScottB macrumors regular

ScottB

I still think the chance of an iPhone is remote (if that's what you want to call it), I don't think that one will be released this year. Afterall, Apple are a computer company primarily, and have scored lots of points with the iPod, but I don't think it's in their interest to release a phone or intergrate one into an iPod.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

An Apple "iPhone" would be very cool.

I hope it has features like iTunes, and all of the extras that come on an iPod (clock, calendar, notes, games, timer, etc).

5. lanray macrumors regular

could be nice

since there is already a phone out there that has iTunes capability, I'd hope this phone would have some other sort of feature that would make it competitive and attractive. I'd like to see a kind of smart phone with a hard drive to replace my phone and PDA.

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Hmm... forgive my ignorance when it comes to product design/manufacture, but if Apple is indeed in the process of "shopping around for a electronics manufacturer" and is "in talks" with other companies for the bodies, is it realistic that the product could be on the shelves as soon as the end of the year?

7. mattalici macrumors member

woot nation

I've been waiting for this phone for... a LONG time. I just hate the LAME OS's of most of the phones out there... and if the OS isn't the problem, it's stupid pad placement or don't get me started on Blackberries. Here's hoping it's more than just a software tweak to an iPod and more of a completely new hardware product.

8. ScottB macrumors regular

ScottB

What's to say these "phone functions" are not a built in camera or 3G television broadcasts?

9. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah, it must do all these - auto sync with iphoto; at least 2 gig memory; 2+ megapixel camera; Bluetooth etc

10. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

11. tolly macrumors newbie

Soon??!!

yeah, but it doesn't seem like it'll be coming out any time soon. Unlike the video ipod...

12. muffinman macrumors 6502

muffinman

13. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

I like the concept, but not the name. iPhone? Sounds, I dunno. Cheap?

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

15. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I don't think they should call it an iphone, I agree it sounds kinda cheap. I also agree this isn't going to be happening in the near future. Not in 2006.

16. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

17. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

it would be interesting to see what they could do with a phone medium, but i dont think i would buy one unless it was REALLY good. and i mean...beating the sony ericsson K790i good. because thats the phone i intend to purchase when my contract renews.

S

18. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

type in iphone

type in iphone and it directs you to the apple site! sweet:eek:

19. achie25 macrumors 6502

This is exactly what I want. It will be a phone/PDA/iPod all rolled into one. The good thing is that my contract runs out next Dec. The bad thing is that I need a phone right now with my phone having all but died on me. I can get a refurb Treo 650 for $140.

I would much rather have the iphone though so I will suffer in anticipation. :) :) :) :eek: :eek: :) :) :) :)

20. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

while being a little annoyed in recent years over apple's focus on iPod instead of Macs (although i'm happy now because of the slew of new product launches recently and this year coming), this is something i'd really be interested in.

:rolleyes:

21. macdong macrumors 6502

macdong

if Apple suddenly decided to make a cell phone ouf of the blue, then yes, it's rather weird and pointless.
    but if it is to further improve the iPod, then it's not so far fetched.

22. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

that would be good..... mmmmm 3.2mp camera....... :rolleyes:

23. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Ye I see your point. Could make it very hard.

Correct me if I'm wrong here (as I may easily have the number wrong!) but didn't Apple say development of the nano started about 9 months before release? If so then it is possible that they could get it out by the end of the year...JUST! (Also bearing in mind any delay there is in this news gettings to us).

Agreed though, it's still very tight. But if they are shopping around they could have most of the bits they need, the development is perhaps done so it's just manufacturing partners they need?...though granted I know nothing about the whole process so this could be all total rubbish! Feel free to correct me anyone! (Maybe it's just my undying wish for an iPhone!)

24. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Seems reasonable since they can fit the 2GB in a nano!