More Apple TV Ads by Errol Morris?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This interview of Errol Morris reveals that he is presently working on new television ads for Apple.

Errol Morris shot the original Apple Switch ads in 2002. There have been recent claims that Apple will launch a new ad campaign centered around Macs.

According to the interview, the ads will be shot in an "Ames Room".

They’re these rooms, they’re built in a completely distorted way in order to create an optical illusion based on perspective. I’ve always wanted to shoot in an Ames room and now we’re going to.
More information about Ames rooms can be found here.

J-Squire

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2003
Australia
Sounds pretty cool

I wonder how far off these ads are. If they haven't even started shooting them, they could be some time.

Sounds pretty interesting concept.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
liketom said:
i wonder what the ads for ?

intel - mac or iPod
I don't see any reason that Apple would publicly advertise the transition to Intel, especially this early in the game.

I think the mac mini thing may be a good guess, but we will have to wait and see.

(Also: for anyone who thinks that Apple shouldnt be advertising macs because they think buying a Mac before the switch to Intel is a bad idea, there is something you should know. If Apple gets their way, and all new Mac software is complied with XCode, it will all have universal binaries, therefore PowerPC Macs will be more software compatible than x86 Macs for the first couple years.)

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
Errol Morris is Hamilton 'It makes me feel powerful' Morris's father, right?

bignumbers

macrumors regular
May 9, 2002
Errol Morris rocks

Let's not forget that Errol Morris is now an Oscar winner, last year for Best Documentary for The Fog Of War. And a few years before that, directed what I think is the best documentary ever, The Thin Blue Line.

I think a Mac Mini ad would be perfect. Or I wonder if they're starting a new themed campaign rather than a single product ad. I could very well be wrong, but I don't think they've done a real product ad in ages. More on branding it seems.

Maybe he'll bring Ellen Feiss Ellen Feiss back!

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
bignumbers said:
Maybe he'll bring Ellen Feiss Ellen Feiss back!
I mean, I'd hit it, for sure. But I'm just not seeing how she's worthy of net worship. She's cute, but I date more attractive women on a regular basis. I guess the real allure is that she's the only attractive 20's woman to be obtusely associated with the macintosh. I have dated or not dated women based on their computer preference. Wasn't it's Robert Plant who said, "I don't know, but I've been told. . . Dell usin' woman ain't got no soul." Who knows, but this is for sure, a woman with a 17" PB ran off with my heart.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I had a toy Ames room as a kid (not life size!). The effect is to make one person in the room look tiny and one person look huge. Or one person can grow/shrink by walking across the room.

I suppose some kind of visual pun is on the way...

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
SPUY767 said:
... She's cute, but I date more attractive women on a regular basis. I guess the real allure is that she's the only attractive 20's woman to be obtusely associated with the macintosh. ....
Actually, I think the allure was that she looked stoned. The stoner net community made her famous.

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
SPUY767 said:
Wasn't it's Robert Plant who said, "I don't know, but I've been told. . . Dell usin' woman ain't got no soul."
When a lady has one's joystick in her hands, one seldom stops to quarrel over the particular brand of hardware it is going to be plugged into.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
oingoboingo said:
When a lady has one's joystick in her hands, one seldom stops to quarrel over the particular brand of hardware it is going to be plugged into.
Like when my girlfriend flies X-Plane?

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
I'm gomma photoshop her head onto a tasteful female nude and all the typing will go to hell tomorrow cause everyone will be doing it 1-handed.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
oingoboingo said:
True, but some hardware are more prone to viruses so you have to be careful these days ;)

dwbarcl

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2005
Arkansas City, KS
ADS!!!

I have a family member that goes to the Westside high school in Omaha, NE (one of apples showcase schools). He told me that a few weeks before school ended APPLE was their shooting comercials. He said that they were using large production type cameras, and high tech lighting. Interviewing students and other stuff..... :eek:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Sounds interesting, this could make for some very unique and more importantly, effective ads - if done right. Let's hope Apple does a better job this time around than they did with the original "Switch" ads.

And here is a collection of previous Mac ads in case anyone is interested. :cool: