More Apples Lies

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hankster, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

For the iPhone 7 they said the removal of the headphone jack was because it was an "old" technology that shouldn't be supported anymore. Instead, Apple touts lightening headphone jacks are "better".

If lightening headphone jacks are "better" why is there a headphone jack on the new MacBook Pro which is their "flagship" laptop? Shouldn't there be a lightening port instead? I mean, if a user of the iPhone 7 went and purchased expensive lightening headphones they can't even use it on the MacBook Pro.

So, Apple...which is it?

2. Helioswift macrumors newbie

They removed the headphone jack on the iPhone 7, and everyone complained. They kept it in the MacBook Pro, and now everyone is complaining.

So, Consumers... which is it?

3. Rapp macrumors member

Rapp

I believe that they said space was a premium in the iPhone and removing the jack, which is old technology, made it easier on the design.

4. Branflaakes macrumors 6502

Apple's end goal is WIRELESS for iPhones. Lightning for another year or two is just a stop-gap between now and their end goal. After wireless technology further matures, then they can just drop that port too.

5. Firebrand macrumors regular

The 3.5 mm jack is more than just about headphones for the laptops, which makes it different to the iPhone 7 situation. [...] if it was just to plug in headphones, the port wouldn’t be necessary. However, the 3.5 mm jack remains in the product as pros have “studio monitors, amps and other pro audio gear that do not have wireless solutions”.

But that’s only Schiller Scheisse, of course ;-)

6. cmaier macrumors G3

LOL. "Lies." Yep, Apple is just engaging in a massive conspiracy.

7. el-John-o macrumors 65816

[Not defending either decision; just explaining what they seem to be saying and thinking]

Apple figures that the headphone jack on an iPhone is, well, for headphones. And most customers are heading towards wireless and in Apple's mind, that's better and what people should do. To be clear, Apple said in the keynote that the lightning jack supported audio; they never said it was 'better'. They made it very clear that their feeling was that wireless was the future; and spending energy and resources trying to shoehorn a headphone jack into the device, they felt, would cause them to compromise in other ways; and it wasn't worth it since wireless is the future.

The MacBook Pro, on the other hand; doesn't have those space constraints (yet). And users use it for so much more than headphones; including and especially professional audio.

The problem with that though? Apple reportedly removed the optical audio support that high-end studio grade sound equipment was using from the headphone jack. So many with professional audio setups will be using USB-C anyway.

It's also a bit odd and not very "Apple Ecosystem" like, that the headphones that came with my iPhone won't work with my 2016 MacBook Pro (whenever it gets here).

8. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

What world do you live in that a phone and a laptop are designed for the same usage? What a dramatic silly thread title, well done sir.

9. cmaier macrumors G3

Apple said LTE is good for making phone calls. But they didn't include it on the new MBP. Liars.

10. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

I think it was just easier to waterproof a lightning port as compared to a mic jack.

11. Rob_2811 macrumors 65816

Isn't the audio jack on the new Macboom Pros gimped anyway? :D

12. cmaier macrumors G3

I just saw a commercial where apple says waterproofing the iPhone is "better." Yet they didn't waterproof the new MBP. Liars.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2016 ---
    Not clear. On the no-touchbar 13" there appears to be no optical out. The touchbar versions may be different.

13. Macalway macrumors 68020

14. cmaier macrumors G3

Sign of the times? Gotta demonize whoever didn't thrill you.

15. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. At least they included lightening earbuds with the iPhone 7 and there are adapters for 3.5mm solutions for those who prefer their wired setups. I understand the reasoning behind dropping it, but don't blame people for being annoyed.

They probably realized customers were dismayed with the removal and decided they had a enough space in the macbook to leave it there. I'd be much more disappointed if they tried pushing a lighting port instead of a standard aux port.

Bluetooth headphones are becoming much more reasonable in price, performance, and convenience on a mobile device. I don't hate them for a mobile experience, but when it comes to laptops it makes more sense to keep it on there for the time being IMO

16. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Consumers have the right to complain as it's their money. Yes?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2016 ---
    Apple is like the British tory government with their attempts to ram through unpopular and outrageous changes to the population. Apple does the same thing with their products nowadays. It makes me sad.

17. Resist macrumors 68030

A 3.5mm jack takes up less space than the tactile engine they put in there, so space wasn't the reason. Waterproofing isn't the issue either, because electronics can be waterproofed with a chemical coating, which by the way has been around for a long time. Going digital isn't the reason either, even though that makes sense because they could have gone to a more common digital port, maybe USB C. But can anyone really hear the difference anyway?

It appears the real reason Apple made the change, is to use a proprietary connector. It's always about the money!

18. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Don't follow that idea. They preferred to use the limited space for other things.

Considering that they included an adapter, and earbuds, and those cost money, maybe there was some other reason.

19. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Lightening is proprietary; the headphone jack is not.

By getting rid of the headphone jack, Apple get more licensing fees.

Mac doesn't control the market like iPhone does, so Apple couldn't pull a similar stunt.

20. caramelpolice macrumors regular

The real question is, why is the headphone jack on the right when most headphone cables come from the left ear?

21. chabig macrumors 68040

Yes, Apple is paying licensing fees to Apple for the use of the Lightning port. I commend you for your logical thinking skills.

22. meteoreos macrumors regular

meteoreos

They said it was removed to free up precious room inside the iPhone, and I guess that makes sense.

Although, if the iPhone 8 doesn't have USB-C, and they keep the proprietary Lightening port, then it's obvious what Apple's motives are.

23. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Again, they included an adapter so people could use a non-proprietary headphone jack.

24. Exile714 macrumors 6502a

Way to resurrect a 4-month old thread guys.

6 months after the iPhone 7, we can actually see how things played out. Lightning (note there isn't an 'e' anywhere in that word) headphones are few and far between. If licensing fees were what Apple intended, they failed. It seems more and more apparent that Lightning to 3.5mm adapter is a stopgap while people adopt wireless tech for their phones. No licensing in wireless.

As for the MBP, ever try using AirPods with it? Too much latency for video editing. Lightning might have worked, but that's not Apple's endgame and so the 3.5mm jack remains for those who have studio equipment and video editing needs.

I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone 8 drops the Lightning port altogether and adopts purely wireless charging, data transfer and audio. The iPhone 7S and 7S+ would be available for holdouts who still want the Lightning port... for now.

25. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

I would't be surprised either although it would be utterly stupid, since it would mean no more using the phone while charging it.