Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
better be waterproof because if it is not then forget it.

Is going to be a fitness device, so it has to be waterproof.
The first reason is that you can go jogging when it rains, the second is that you may use it while swimming.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
There wont be any "smartwatch", probably just some band that will monitor different health statuses.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I don't always want to carry my iPhone with me. It's heavy and bulky. It would be awesome if they made a version of the iWatch that could be used as a phone. Paired with a set of wireless headphones with a mic so you don't look like a fool talking to your wrist. All it would need is a few apps like contacts and calenders plus the mobile phone functionality. I would happily pay a premium for such a device.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Hah, they should include one with every iPhone 6 if it's just an "accessory." That way, lots and lots of people would have one from day one and it would receive huge marketing (as if it won't anyway!) because suddenly loads of people would have them. Obviously they'd also be purchasable by themselves as well for those who don't buy an iPhone 6. Obviously this is never going to happen, but it's a nice idea...at least in my head.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I don't always want to carry my iPhone with me. It's heavy and bulky. It would be awesome if they made a version of the iWatch that could be used as a phone. Paired with a set of wireless headphones with a mic so you don't look like a fool talking to your wrist. All it would need is a few apps like contacts and calenders plus the mobile phone functionality. I would happily pay a premium for such a device.

Ah, I also would very happily pay a preminum for such a device too. Just let me make/receive calls/texts and check my calendar. I would even go as far as to say I would sync using iTunes (which I hate with a passion) to get my contacts on it.

One can only dream....

Aetles

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Sweden
If its an accessory to the iPhone its going to be DOA. Everyone has gotten wearables all wrong. Why on earth would anyone buy a smart watch to extend what their phone already does?

Yeah, because Pebble was such a DOA as well, nobody wanted that crap. I mean, being the most funded project for longer than any other record holder on Kickstarter does not mean anything at all. Why on earth would anyone buy a Pebble to extend what their phone already does?

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Yeah, because Pebble was such a DOA as well, nobody wanted that crap. I mean, being the most funded project for longer than any other record holder on Kickstarter does not mean anything at all. Why on earth would anyone buy a Pebble to extend what their phone already does?

Doesn't the Pebble last for days? That's something way better than a smartphone. Also just because it's the most funded Kickstarter doesn't mean it's anywhere near the revenue scale as the iPhone, which is what Apple wants the iWatch to be.

iPadCary

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
NEW YORK CITY
If this is just an iPhone accessory, why the Flint Center debut as if this is
as gamechanging as the Macintosh?!?

*sigh*

Yet more Tim Cook bullspit nonsense ....

Aetles

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Sweden
Doesn't the Pebble last for days? That's something way better than a smartphone.

Yes it does have good battery life. But the main point is that a smart watch that is only an accessory to a phone still got tremendous response, so that is definitely something that some people really would like to buy.

Also just because it's the most funded Kickstarter doesn't mean it's anywhere near the revenue scale as the iPhone, which is what Apple wants the iWatch to be.

No, but that was not what we were talking about. Did I mention revenues?

I was simply giving an example of why this claim is wrong: "Everyone has gotten wearables all wrong. Why on earth would anyone buy a smart watch to extend what their phone already does?"

jaison13

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2003
pittsburgh
i never thought it was going to be a 100% stand alone device. a watch is an accessory. this will be too. i also think its primary function is health and wellness. but it will do a lot more in that area than the current bands. pretty sure it will link to your phone to do a lot of stuff too. things that will make it so your phone can stay in your pocket a lot more. siri to send texts, switch songs in iTunes, maybe even things like directions. that would be nice when walking and trying to find a place. might even tell time!

i'm REALLY hoping it does not look like the mock-up in this entry. that thing is fugly!!

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Yes it does have good battery life. But the main point is that a smart watch that is only an accessory to a phone still got tremendous response, so that is definitely something that some people really would like to buy.

No, but that was not what we were talking about. Did I mention revenues?

I was simply giving an example of why this claim is wrong: "Everyone has gotten wearables all wrong. Why on earth would anyone buy a smart watch to extend what their phone already does?"

The Pebble is able to pass off its "accessory" function because it does have great battery life. Along with that, it's simple to use and cheaper than most watches.

IMO, if Apple released their iWatch and it was successful as the Pebble they would NOT be happy.

medazinol

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
Is this going to be the biggest let down of the year I wonder?

End up being just a modded fuel band, with just a load more sensors, linked to only work/be compatible with the iPhone's new health apps, and that's all this expectation will end up being in reality?

I have a feeling that the media will feel a negative sentiment however once the product reaches consumers and the apps start arriving for it the tone will change. The media never "gets it". Happened with the iPhone and the iPad. Most likely will happen with this too.

Apple's stock usually reflects this. Historical tendency has been: new product, stock drops. Product arrives in customer's hands and adoption rate goes crazy, stock goes up.

I'm buying AAPL shares and holding.

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
If this rumor is true, this is the best news I have heard so far about a potential iWatch. Any true smart watch, in my opinion, is just an accessory to your phone. If it doesn't work in tandem with your phone, it is just a fitness device. Something tells me the continuity features between iOS and OS X may have come about as a result of testing and development for the iWatch.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I don't need an iPhone accessory that doubles as a fitbit. Sorry. I have an iPhone and common sense to eat healthy and exercise.

Unless it's affordable. If this iPhone "accessory" is $299, then no way. If it's $199 or less, then we may be on to something.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Is going to be a fitness device, so it has to be waterproof.
The first reason is that you can go jogging when it rains, the second is that you may use it while swimming.

That's my thinking so I hope this is what is going to be. But there are devices like the Fitbit that is not waterproof.
I am a swimmer and I would love to have something that is waterproof and not worry about when washing hands, taking a shower, etc. just like my watch.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
I don't need an iPhone accessory that doubles as a fitbit. Sorry. I have an iPhone and common sense to eat healthy and exercise.

Unless it's affordable. If this iPhone "accessory" is $299, then no way. If it's $199 or less, then we may be on to something.

You don't really need the dash in your car either if you know how to drive safe and about how often you need to feed it gas. I see this as a way to refine the inaccurate feelings we have, like hungry or thirsty, or ones we have no clue of, like deficiencies or early health warnings.

----------

I take it that we haven't gotten a "nope" for this yet that it is happening... wish we had a "yep" though.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
You don't really need the dash in your car either if you know how to drive safe and about how often you need to feed it gas. I see this as a way to refine the inaccurate feelings we have, like hungry or thirsty, or ones we have no clue of, like deficiencies or early health warnings.

----------

I take it that we haven't gotten a "nope" for this yet that it is happening... wish we had a "yep" though.

So you could argue that a dashboard is only necessary to cater to the less intelligent. Same for a fitbit or fuel band.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.