Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
Something tells me that this iWatch is going to let a lot of people down. I think our expectations of it are way too high compared to what Apple has in store for us.

Essentially this is Tim Cooks first real test. If he is able to run Apple as well as Jobs was then it's likely our expectations are just right if not too low...

bmiller541

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2014
I have a strong feeling that the "iwatch" will be very different than what people expect. Apple is all about simplicity and intuitive design. Who knows what this could have. Along with health sensors it could also have sensors that detect muscle activity in your hand to control other Apple products. Which would be an AWESOME way to control your apple TV or Mac.... Don't just think iPhone accessory....I bet this will be an accessory for most, if not all, Apple products.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Watch that is just an accessory or "middle man" for the iPhone? I don't know...doesn't seem that interesting to me.

If it is a fitness band or watch that also allows me to do some phone stuff then that is more interesting.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
On the other hand, I know people who will pay a lot for something like a fitbit or fuelband that looks a lot like real upscale jewelry. The more biometrics the better. If it also tells time or extends the mobile device, that's only a nice extra.

I agree with you somewhat in that I think if this steers away from conventional watch territory, and something that can be worn like a fitbit in addition to a watch, except with a lot more sensor capability, then it will be great! I just hope "iPhone accessory" is not the best way to describe this device.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
I keep asking myself when I'd ever be truly using such a device. My phone is always with me, so the likelihood I'd be sending a text message on a smaller screen seems absurd.
If you send a text from your watch, it will be through Siri, not some tiny keyboard. I believe the watch will have a mic but no speaker. You will talk to Siri through the watch, and Siri will respond with text and images on the watch, as it does on the iPhone screen now. This gives the watch tremendous power, because Siri can do a huge number of things.

It might also be a health sensor, a security device (authenticate while wearing the watch and as long as you keep wearing it, you'll not need passwords on the phone), and perhaps participate in POS (with NPC in the watch you could wave it at a point of sale terminal instead of fishing out and waving your phone).

And it will be very handy for notifications as expected. At the board meeting, you simply glance at your watch instead of fishing out and looking at the phone. For phone calls, it will tell you who is calling. You can decline the call or reply with a text.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Duh!

Of course it's an iPhone Accessory! Talk about stating the obvious. If they don't announce it at the iPhone event they'll have to wait until the next one because it's just not a big enough product to justify it's own event.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
It's a niche market for runners since about 2007, and became a small trendy fad the past couple years. They've all been plagued by the same problems of bad battery life, bad user interface and high price.

Huh? FitBits track steps whether you are running, walking, or climbing stairs. At my company, those steps of mine (measuring in the thousands per day) get me points via a third-party program (Vitality) that we use. Those points get me money. In 6 months the $80 FitBit paid for itself. Because of this, it's anything but a niche market in our locality.

As far as the interface, it really has NONE to speak of, but in 5 lighted dots, it tells me what I need to know. Via BlueTooth it syncs with the iPhone app and tells me a whole lot more. Battery life is over a week. I'm not sure which of these statistics you consider "plaguing."

In any case, it would take a nice-looking device to make want to not wear my Seiko OR my FitBit - but with Apple, it's possible.

Tim promised product category not iPhone accessories.

Agree. I am hoping this is more than a fancy remote screen. When I sit down for lunch or meetings, I take my iPhone out of my pocket and sit it on the table where I can see it anyway.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Well, I kind hope you do take your watch off? At night perhaps?
I'm expecting wireless charging from a meter away. You put a charger unit on your nightstand and it charges on your wrist while you sleep.

BTW I have a Tissot watch I bought for $350 35 years ago, I seldom take it off, it still tells perfect time to the second, takes a battery every two years, and its sapphire crystal hasn't got the tiniest scratch. So clearly I expect the iWatch to have a sapphire crystal, and probably a liquidmetal case rather than the usual stainless steel (since liquidmetal can be molded).

Also, it will be smaller than expected, since some of the device will reside in the watchband, like some or all of the battery, and maybe antennas and sensors, letting the main case stay small. The band would still be replaceable, but by special Apple bands in various colors/styles.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I keep asking myself when I'd ever be truly using such a device. My phone is always with me, so the likelihood I'd be sending a text message on a smaller screen seems absurd.

who says you would be able to. Everyone is thinking that this is going to be basically an iPhone on your wrist but what if it's not. What if it's really nothing more than a Fuelband with some Pebble like notifications and perhaps the ability to pick up an incoming call if you are using a bluetooth headset so you can keep your phone safely in your pocket.

but no apps, no outgoing anything.

----------

To be perfectly honest, if your description is accurate, I want the device badly still. Sounds like a nice product.

depending on the price i would be in also

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I was just thinking about the "Wish we could say more" tag line. I wonder if it has anything to do with Siri integration, talking to your watch or TV instead of using gestures.

or are they saying 'wish we could say more' because there will be nothing left to say after they unveil everything at one event

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
Anxious to see what they will be showing. I know it's not the case for everyone, but for me, "iPhone accessory" = me not interested. This could be a turning point or just another device looking for a market. Knowing Apple, I'm optimistic that it'll be the turning point. But at the same time, I'm not holding my breath.

I'm already tethered to a device (iPhone). I don't need another device tethered to that device.

----------

I'm hoping that it's a mini-quad-copter. It'll track you jogging, running, pumping iron at the gym, whatever. And if you fall into a ravine while jogging, it could fly to wherever there is a strong enough cell signal and call for help. (And sure, there might be a wrist-top controller for the "iCopter." Whatever.)

The flying would necessitate a suitably large area to demo the "iCopter," which could explain the big white structure Apple is building at Flint Center as I type this post.

/s

You nailed it! But damn! I just ordered a quad this afternoon! :D I'm glad Amazon has easy returns.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
or are they saying 'wish we could say more' because there will be nothing left to say after they unveil everything at one event

One key feature added in iOS 8 is the lift to create/listen to voice clips. My guess is sending and receiving voice clips via phone and watch/band will be what this is referencing. You will not be texting on your watch, it's all about voice. Tim Cook even mentioned this was a key feature during an interview a while back.

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
For people saying it is pointless if it is a mere accessory, and how hard is it to take the iPhone out of your pocket etc, I think there is a point to it. Just one example is navigation. I find it very irritating when I am navigating a city on foot, stopping to get out / look at my iPhone all the time. I can imagine a system where you work out a route on the iPhone and then, with your iPhone in your pocket (safely in your pocket where crime may be high), you can just glance at your watch periodically. It would show a simple directional arrow, and the distance remaining. I think that sort of thing would be good.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Perhaps the term "accessory" is a bit harsh. My guess is that it will be positioned more as a "companion" to the iPhone. The idea being to increase sales of iPhones alongside sales of the new wearable device.

No one bought a FuelBand or Fitbit thinking it was going to replace their iPhone at anything. We have dreamed a world up around here lately where the wearable will do everything and we can throw away our phones, but we are years away from anything close to that.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
History has taught me to wait until the second generation of Apple's mobile hardware.

First-gen Apple products aren't always that bad. I had loads of fun with my 1st-gen iPad back in 2010. Yes it was missing cameras and it was somewhat heavy, and yes the much better iPad 2 came less than a year later, but I never regretted getting the iPad 1. It was a great device that served me well.

Almost all 1st-gen devices from any company aren't fully-featured and have a short lifespan, but most devices nowadays aren't lasting long anyways. And being a proud owner of 1st-gen something is pretty cool :cool:

P.S. looking forward to the new wearable Apple has in plan ;)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Yep, product will be DOA if it:

- Doesn't have added value (i.e. just an accessory)

- Is more "futuristic" looking and less luxurious/stylish.

"DOA" is a bit extreme. The Pebble, Fitbit flex, Nike Fuel Band, all are iPhone accessories and yet they all reached a certain success. With Apple's own imprimatur it will be a sure fire hit out of the gate, especially if it's below $199. Total grand slam if its under $150.

As for looks Apple doesn't disappoint when it comes to design. Companies copy Apple's product looks they are that good. Museum display now obsolete product as art the design is so classic. So futuristic or traditional will not be important; only that its something people want to put on their wrist and be seen wearing.

jfmartin67

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Lower your expectations guys!

I think of the rumoured iWatch more like an iWearable which would play a role like the Apple TV is playing in the Apple ecosystem: add value. If you own an iPhone, an Apple TV and even an iPad, coupled with iCloud services and the iWearable, expect to be empowered by Apple products and services.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Perhaps the term "accessory" is a bit harsh. My guess is that it will be positioned more as a "companion" to the iPhone.

I don't think "accessory" is either harsh or demeaning. It also appears to be a word an Apple source used to describe the band. I take the description to mean the band is a dumb terminal of sorts for the iPhone.

----------

I really wonder what the main catch of the iWatch will be, hopefully it isn't going to be a hobby like the Apple TV.

The catch is you can keep your iPhone in your pocket to see who called, who left a message, text, etc. Then there is all the HealthKit stuff. It won't be a hobby because Apple doesn't need to beg content makers for a license and it already has plenty of 3rd party devs ready to create compatible apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.