Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hrl

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2009
Pacific Northwest
The highly predictable "annual release cycle" actually hurts Apple in the marketplace.

It causes too long of a "blackout" period where people are hesitant to buy because a new model is just 2-3 months away...

If they did updates more like other products (iMacs, Macbook Airs, etc.) then that blackout period would only be a few weeks long.

The annual release cycle also hinders Apple from making small incremental improvements - like slight speed bumps etc. These incremental improvements have let companies like Samsung get buzz several times a year as slightly improved models of the same basic device get released.

I think it's highly probably that Apple will be releasing incremental updates to iPad hardware. It's not like a phone that comes with a 2 year contract -- so it's to their advantage to do so.

Those incremental improvements are going to directly affect one of Apple's biggest strength, cheaper parts due to the huge quantity that they ordered. It is also going to directly affect margins. This is why Apple has been enjoying huge margins with relatively small marketshare.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
If they revise it and make it thinner, they just screwed people that bought the "old, thicker iPad 3"

Honestly, I use my iPad all the time, and I would have be quite happy to still be "screwed" with my first gen iPad had I had enough foresight to have bought the 3G model.

And honestly, despite being "screwed" with my non-retina screen on my iPad 2 3G, I've got no desire for a "new" iPad at all. The iPad was awesome right out of the gate when it was first introduced, and it still is.

----------

I think the annual revisions have become a bit of a chain around Apple's neck.

Are you kidding? By having a year long cycle Apple can introduce products at a great price point and then watch their profit margins soar over the year. I can only imagine what the margin is during the Christmas season for an iPad introduced in February.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
If they revise it and make it thinner, they just screwed people that bought the "old, thicker iPad 3"

yes, they would screw them. If it's true, wouldn't you think they would buy it anyway? This is one of those: wait and buy, or bait and switch.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
This will not happen until next spring. The iPad Mini will be introduced on its own to give it some time to shine, otherwise it is in the larger, most likely more powerful iPad's shadow.

Besides that, it's more profitable for Apple to let a product simmer in the market for a year than revamp it after 6 months. There's a very good reason they've thinned their product line to what it is and then only updated them once a year: it works out very well for their bottom line. Update twice a year, they double development costs and halve profits on each device, not to mention building up a massive load of anger in buyers who would have waited for the more recently updated device. Doesn't make any financial sense to go that route. The iPad Mini will be the only new iPad introduced this year.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
I understand the updates I'm listing would be, I guess i'm thinking leave it the size it is now, so that at the next major revision they can pack even more power into it. If they shrink it now, they won't want to back step and make it thicker again. but the case makers will love the thinning, then they can sell all new cases.

Well, iPad 2 was thin and new iPad was fat... so they would just be making iPad 3 revision back to the thinnest of iPad 2 (plus keeping the dock updated). And I believe they will actually call this revision "iPad 3" and not the new iPad. Like I said before I believe they were ashamed of the new iPad (because of the fatness) so instead of calling it iPad 3 they just called it the new iPad because they had to release an iPad regardless if they had the resources to make it thin or not.

farkingdom

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
Heard of the heat and battery issue. I don't mind if they address the thickness since the thinner the better. If this is true, it might be time for me to get a new-er iPad. lol
:)

I am sure many people who bought the iPad 3 will be upset from this.

I'm actually pretty delighted if Apple could bring in more new updated devices. I bought a 4S this year, and I've been hearing rumors of iPhone5 ever since (March release, June release, September release).... And even though I'm not getting the 5, I'm pretty excited that Apple is introducing a new revision of their iPhone.
There is no reason to be upset when Apple is actually making the device for the better.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan

Not necessarily. As long as it is under warranty, if the "old, thicker iPad 3" is running too hot or otherwise has issues, bring it to Apple for replacement — and insist on it being replaced with the "new," cooler-running model.

NOV

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2004
The Netherlands
I hope that they find some way of revving the iPad 3 to support a charge current of >2A (or a higher charge voltage). The new dock connector may address this issue.

The current iPad 3 recharge rate is way too slow. As the owner of a 1 and a 3, the 3 is really starting to annoy me in this respect.

Agreed, screen estate and processing power is great but I can't remember I've seen the 100% battery sign. It's also very picky about its power sources. From some sources it simply won't charge.

Fiddler70

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2010
How is it 'too hot' ? Is it scalding and giving you 3rd degree burns? It doesn't even get close to the same temperature as my MBP does, which gets really hot, and yet that is still manageable.

When me and my GF sit outside in the sun and are both working on our iPads (me 3 she 2) the heat difference is enormous! My iPad 3 shuts off after a while and becomes painful to the touch. Hers is fine and continues to work.

This could be a reason for many to demand an upgrade if a revision comes too soon.

And yes... I am insane to sit in the sun with my GF and work on my iPad.... will remind myself next time it happens! http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Because people would want a free upgrade to the "thinner iPad 3" Apple would get a lot of backlash if they didn't do this. Similar to the iPhone first generation price drop when they gave everyone some money back.

I know what you mean. I bought a new car in 2010. Then just a few months later they came out with an updated 2011 model. Like many other owners, i was really pissed; but fortunately the manufacturer made good and gave us all free trade-ups to the newer model. Of course, it would have been a total screw job if the manufacturer hadn't done that.

/alternate reality :rolleyes:

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
Agreed, screen estate and processing power is great but I can't remember I've seen the 100% battery sign. It's also very picky about its power sources. From some sources it simply won't charge.

Really? I charge my iPad 3 from one of my iMac's USB ports and it behaves exactly like my iPad/iPad 2 did. It charges quickly and I get 100% charge every time.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Really? I charge my iPad 3 from one of my iMac's USB ports and it behaves exactly like my iPad/iPad 2 did. It charges quickly and I get 100% charge every time.

Macs are designed to allow for a higher than industry standard power draw when the correct device is plugged in, like an iPad. You'll notice that an iPad plugged into many other usb ports on other computers will charge very slowly, or say that it isn't charging at all.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
How about when your 1st gen iPad can't be updated to iOS 6 and its 2.5 years old? I have had my MBP since late 06 and have been able to do three major software updates in 6 years (10.5, 10.6, and 10.7) and have only gotten two major iOS updates out of two years before not being able to upgrade it anymore?

Does it matter? Apps will still be compatible with iOS 5 for a very long time. You're not missing out on much. Why would you want iOS 6 to come to the iPad 1 anyway? This means if you need to restore it for whatever reason, you'd have no choice but to upgrade to iOS 6 which would make an aging product even slower than it is now. If it stays at iOS 5, you can be confident it won't become any slower, and if a restore becomes necessary for whatever reason, you don't have to try to figure out ways to do a restore after apple stops signing iOS 5.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
Macs are designed to allow for a higher than industry standard power draw when the correct device is plugged in, like an iPad. You'll notice that an iPad plugged into many other usb ports on other computers will charge very slowly, or say that it isn't charging at all.

I know that, but the iPad 3 still won't pull more than 2A from a Mac's USB port. In other words, it's unusual that others are having problems charging their iPad 3s even when using charging devices that can provide the full 2A.

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
I am sure many people who bought the iPad 3 will be upset from this.

But why? If they waited and bought the slightly updated, then that one would also be out of date in around 6 months when the proper 4th gen comes along.

If this rumour is true then the updated iPad is unlikely to have anything that would make someone want to upgrade from the current iPad.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
it will come

Only a matter of when these tweaked iPads arrive.

I'd like subsequent iPads to be lighter if possible. Longer battery life would be wonderful. If these along are true along with the great display, works for me.

All that said, I am happy with the current iPad. :)

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Hey Apple

Thinner does not equate to better.

This is what "better" means:
1) longer battery life
2) user replaceable parts
3) faster recharge time
4) more RAM
5) more processing power

Get over the "runway model" obsession with "thinner" and get to work on the things that actually matter.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Only a matter of when these tweaked iPads arrive.

I'd like subsequent iPads to be lighter if possible. Longer battery life would be wonderful. If these along are true along with the great display, works for me.

All that said, I am happy with the current iPad. :)

You will never see Apple increase the battery life significantly.

They prioritise design, looks, and thinness over practical things such as power and battery. Plus the fact that 10 hours is enough for most of the user base.

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
I bought an iPad last week, it had a ding on the aluminum, so I shipped it back.
All iPads are out of stock, and my replacement iPad has been put on hold.

I call this one plausible.

I just checked store.apple.com a minute ago; all of the iPads are in stock.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Also my iPad 3rd gen came today, and aside from a little pink hue to the top of the screen, its pretty much perfect. Considering its took 6 months to get to this spot, it's pretty much a guarantee that they'll update the iPad with a shiny new IGZO screen right when my returns period expires :eek:

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
They won't until the next march/April refresh.

Bit pointless - they are selling loads whatever. A 7" makes more sense.

If anything it's constantly screwing over the Accessory manufacturers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.