Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Kevin Rose follows up his previous rumor that a 3G iPhone is coming in the "next few months" with a Twitter post claiming he's heard confirmation from a high level Vice President at a big company that works with Apple. According to his source, "[the new iPhone] will ship in June w/3G and GPS".

Kevin Rose was co-host of The Screen Savers on Tech TV and later started Digg.com.

Article Link

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
I don't know about this one... Kevin doesn't have a good track record with iPhone predictions. I think we're going to just have to wait and see.

danhig123

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2006
There is no way the iPhone will carry GPS. It is simply too power hungry. It is encouraging to see more confirmations for a 3g June release though. It seems likely as the 2.0 update is already scheduled for June. Just one more thing anyone?

sleepingworker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2003
Manhattan, NY
As for 3G at the end of June, I thought this was already confirmed by both SJ and the CEO of AT&T many weeks ago. A true GPS on the iP would just be wonderful if true and feasible ... finally I would be able to find my way around Tokyo!

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Does anyone think that Apple is trying to make the iPhone a jack of all trades, and by doing so make it a master of none?

Just give me a friggin phone already!

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
There is no way the iPhone will carry GPS. It is simply too power hungry. It is encouraging to see more confirmations for a 3g June release though. It seems likely as the 2.0 update is already scheduled for June. Just one more thing anyone?

Like 3G was too power hungry in 2006 to have in lots of European phones like the N73?
Like A-GPS was too power hungry to be in the N95?
Like A-GPS was too power hungry to be put into a watch ala Forerunner 405?

The modern round of A-GPS chips are pretty good powerwise. It would be on just for brief moments if necessary. The reduced length of time to get an accurate lock helps with this. Have a look at the Forerunner 405 if you don't think you can put A-GPS into something compact.

Even if it isn't included across the line, it could be in a Pro version, it will certainly be an external accessory upgrade open for those with current iPHones that want SatNav.

The Hammerhead II chip is one such chip, being optimized for mobile devices requiring high performance, low power and an extremely small footprint. The diminutive single-die chip measures only 3.7mm x 3.6mm x 0.6 mm, for a total footprint of less than 14 mm², resulting in the world’s smallest GPS receiver.
Cost ~£5 a chip in quantity (or less) and would be too large. Or the something from sirf like the SiRFstarIII™ chip?

Edit: Kevin probably could probably buy a new 3G iPhone from the ad money he brought in from his DIY youtube Dugg sham of a story.

Attachments

• GSC3eLP_chip.jpg
    GSC3eLP_chip.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 4,227
  • 405black.jpg
    405black.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 90
  • garmin-colorado-forerunner-nuvi.jpg
    garmin-colorado-forerunner-nuvi.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 78

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Why does this sound excessively doubtful? GPS in the iPhone would probably still slaughter battery life. Apple knows a phone (or any device) no matter how powerful or useful, is no good with a dead battery.

3G - Yes
June - Possibly
GPS - Not this soon

I'm sticking with my original phone no matter what they decide to do. I have no urgent needs to upgrade, and I can say that I got the original product that introduced a tech revolution.

sleepingworker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2003
Manhattan, NY
Does anyone think that Apple is trying to make the iPhone a jack of all trades, and by doing so make it a master of none?

lol, there are so many phones out there (unlocked) if you just want a phone. Hell, I'll sell you my RAZR cheap in about 3 months! The iP really is a ultra mini computer that happens to have a phone (or no phone if it's the iPT).

vandy1997

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
So will it still have the front camera as well? And OLED? And now GPS? Holy cow!! It sounds like a bit much, but we will see in three months. This guy had better be right. Otherwise, he will look like a complete fool, and I am sure that people will not forget it. He may make some money until June, but it will be all downhill from there. He will have to go work for the Star newspaper.

randomrazor

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2008

welcome to the future my friend... if I wanted a phone out there... there are plenty out there that can be used to call home or to your gf, but I for one don't want just a phone. I don't want to carry my laptop, iPod, cell, organizer, etc around. I think if you talk to the general public... they are becoming the master of them all. Just give it time. All phones will go this way and apple just happens to be paving the road and it will take time.... iP 2 baby!!!!

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
apple should also develop 3rd party add-on accessory, such as tazer pack, vibrator pack, and police radar detector.

Malcster

Contributor
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
Even though im sure GPS chips have come on some since the Nokia N95, it sounds unlikely to me.. Vodafone here in the UK ended up including in-car chargers with N95's due to the fact the GPS would kill the battery in less than 3 hours.

Then again it doesn't need to be on all the time i guess.. so who knows, im still verging on no to GPS at the moment..

flashy-cat

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2007
UK
My Nokia 6110 has GPS on board and yes it DOES eat battery life. But, it's there if I need it, and switched off otherwise.

Simple.

vandy1997

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
Instead of adding GPS, just allow full Bluetooth functionality so that we can achieve a Bluetooth GPS option. There would be plenty of companies who would create GPS software for the iPhone. I do not see myself using GPS on a phone that often, as it is awkward to have GPS running and then answer a call at the same time. If the iPhone will only be allowed to run one app at a time, it would not be possible to run a GPS application and answer the phone while you are en route to your destination.

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
why is GPS so valuable? if I get lost on my day-to-day travel between work and home, I probably shouldn't even operate a remote.

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
surely gps is mainly for incar?

if so battery wont matter as a cable will be available to connect to the cars power

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.