Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
What you would have to "Sell" your employer on is switching to a MAC because unless I am wrong, the iWork suite only runs on a MAC.

Everybody at my company gets a Windows machine. I used Keynote presentations as an excuse to get them to put me on a "MAC".

(seriously, just write "Mac", it's not an acronym)

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
That may be, but .....

Especially for heavy users of Outlook, it's FAR worse than Outlook 2013 on a Windows PC.

Outlook 2011 has a whole slew of deficiencies I'm hoping they address.

A few that immediately come to mind would be:

- Allow viewing more than one calendar at the same time in a split-screen mode, making it easy to drag and drop an appointment from one to the other if needed.

- Update the code so it can handle a larger number of objects without risking corruption of the database file. (In our experience with Outlook 2011 connected to an Exchange server, you can't really give a user a mailbox larger than 5 or 6GB, or you risk it becoming unstable. On the Exchange side though, giving them a 10GB or 20GB mailbox isn't a problem -- and it seems to work better with the Windows clients.)

- Add email auto-archiving functionality as a menu item!

Office for Mac 2011 is probably the best version of Office software I've used, hope they don't screw it up in the new version

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
What you would have to "Sell" your employer on is switching to a MAC because unless I am wrong, the iWork suite only runs on a MAC. I wonder if Apple has plans for iWork to run on a Windows machine??:rolleyes:

----------

You do know that without competing venders pioneering new technology slows down and consumer choice goes out the Window right?

"Goes out the Window"

Is that a pun? :D

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Your lack of reading and actually thinking about what I said shows that you have no idea what I was talking about. Don't try to tear down my opinion just because you don't have the ability to understand. Did you read ALL OF WHAT I WROTE, or did you cherry pick what you wanted to in order to make your point? I said that there are a lot of other alternatives. If you don't know what they are, that's your problem. Just keep pouring money into Microsoft's coffers so that you can have the latest version of their bloatware.

It is funny how people call Office bloatware just because they do not need the features it offers. I do have Microsoft Office and there is nothing like it. Unfortunately, I have to use Office for Windows because Office for Mac is simply not as good.

I fail to see what are the alternatives. Sorry, there are no real alternatives if you want or need advanced features.

iWork? It is beautiful and has a great interface. I tried, oh I swear I tried to use it, and tried to overlook its shortcomings. However, I couldn't. iWork lacks so many features that I am simply not able to replace Office with it. I wish Apple had released an office suite with serious features, but iWork lacks the most basic ones.

LibreOffice? OpenOffice? NeoOffice? It is an OK office suite. Yes, it has far more features than iWork, but they are usually badly implemented. Very badly implemented. I could use it if there was no Office available. However, even Office for Mac, being 4 years old, is still better than these open source alternatives. I don't know if it's lack of budget or of a professional organization, but it simply can't compete. If there was no Microsoft Office, though, this would be the best alternative for the Mac.

Google Drive? Very basic features. Cannot compare to Office.

So, I do not see which are the alternatives. Of course there are plenty alternatives if you have basic needs. If you need to write text, there are lots and lots of word processors. However, if you need to write very long and complex text, with structural elements that make it easier to manage it, then there are just a few alternatives. And Microsoft Word is probably the only one that will guarantee 100% cross-compatibility between several operating systems.

You cannot go wrong with Office. It has all the features and you will be 100% safe with it. Yes, there are alternatives, but they are mostly crap or too basic. Please show me one alternative that has all the advanced features of Microsoft Office and is compatible with Office format. I want to know what that is.

geniium

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2013
New version release date?

Any news about this new Microsoft Office for Mac 2015 release? Am getting really impatient to have a new version. The actual version is really not good at handling large office document.

If you have any info I'd be glad you share them!

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.